affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and Todd Gurley all signed huge contracts, then immediately began riding off into the sunset.

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and Todd Gurley all signed huge contracts, then immediately began riding off into the sunset.

Well done grouping three completely different stories together under one misleading title. 

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Well done grouping three completely different stories together under one misleading title. 

It is my specialty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2020 at 3:05 PM, kdko said:

Le'Veon Bell does this all the time and he's labeled as a 'patient runner.'  Okay, so he couldn't hit or find a hole this time, k.  People are putting too much on this single clip that keeps circulating.  

Fair enough.  The clip is though alarming.  He looks like he's playing in slow motion and with a lack of intensity.

Bottom line is that the Cardinals saw enough in practice to bench him and then eventually trade him away.  He's not the old DJ anymore who was a first round fantasy pick.

The plus side is playing in Houston worked for Hyde so why not DJ? Seems to be going at rd4 or 5 so not going to kill your season if it totally stinks unlike last year. The fit is great as is where he is being drafted but for me personally hard to choose him over a couple of other backs in that draft range or a couple of wrs. If he somehow fell to the back of the 5th rd or the 6th I would consider but it’s not going to happen as someone will pay for past performance before that. In rd 4 through 6 I’m generally taking guys who are still consistently producing or high upside. Not someone who hasn’t done much the last few seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Fair enough.  The clip is though alarming.  He looks like he's playing in slow motion and with a lack of intensity.

Bottom line is that the Cardinals saw enough in practice to bench him and then eventually trade him away.  He's not the old DJ anymore who was a first round fantasy pick.

Anyone who judges a player based on one clip deserves the consequences of such a bad process (looking at you, Ameer Abdullah zealots after that spin move in his rookie-year preseason).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Anyone who judges a player based on one clip deserves the consequences of such a bad process (looking at you, Ameer Abdullah zealots after that spin move in his rookie-year preseason).

Got to love when people jump on a hype train and bump a dude literally entire rounds because of one preseason play.

DJ was pretty terrible last year though. I still like him as a fantasy player because the Texans paid way too much to not use him. Even if he puts up like 250/950/7 and 50/400/2 that’s high end RB2 production and that’s horrible efficiency. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I completely agree.  It's alarming though and if he really was the same player he was from several years ago, would he have been benched?  OK, maybe he wasn't healthy last year after he came back.  And sure, if you could get Nuk for a shell-of-himself-DJ, I think any team would do the deal.  But it certainly gives me pause.  That said though, RBs going around his ADP are Melvin Gordon, James Conner, and Chris Carson.  They've all got question marks of their own, which is why they are priced where they are.  I personally think I'd want Carson over DJ, at least at this moment in time.

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Got to love when people jump on a hype train and bump a dude literally entire rounds because of one preseason play.

DJ was pretty terrible last year though. I still like him as a fantasy player because the Texans paid way too much to not use him. Even if he puts up like 250/950/7 and 50/400/2 that’s high end RB2 production and that’s horrible efficiency. 

DJ was the #6 RB overall last season before he got hurt. Not crazy to think he’s healthy now.

And as you indicated, his floor with that volume is going to be very high. 

I like David Johnson more now that he has been traded.  Pretty clear David Johnson was to a Kingsbury guy.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

DJ was the #6 RB overall last season before he got hurt. Not crazy to think he’s healthy now.

And as you indicated, his floor with that volume is going to be very high. 

His YPC through the first 6 games was 3.92. The Cards were 2nd in rushing DVOA that production came from pure volume. He's still an excellent receiver but given how little Watson throws to his RBs Im not sure he gets a good amount of targets.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, colepenhagen said:

i didnt know jeremy hill played for AZ last year.

Damn just gave me PTSD with that Jeremy Hill name drop.  Woof.  

lol @ anyone putting anything more than a low draft pick/minimum bid on this guy. I warned people about him being overrated last year but they didn't listen tsk tsk 

All in on DJ this year, and I've been all out on him for a while now too. 

Opportunity means everything. I owned Carlos Hyde last year for similar reasons. 

BOB wasn't just hated on for this trade in Houston, he literally received death threats. 

He's got no choice now but to make DJ play every snap so he can try to convince everyone he's not the idiot he is. 

The only thing standing in DJs way to RB1 in 2020 are his own knees, his ankle, his hand, the Texans trash OL, and the opposing defensive front 7.

Other than that we smooth sailing bois. 

Choo Choo! 

• Like 1

I cannot possibly understand the type of person that looks at 2019 David Johnson and thinks,”You know what? That is the guy I want on my fantasy team next year.” May God have mercy on your poor, poor souls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I cannot possibly understand the type of person that looks at 2019 David Johnson and thinks,”You know what? That is the guy I want on my fantasy team next year.” May God have mercy on your poor, poor souls.

Maybe at a round 6 or 7 price but I know he's not falling that far because of his name. I probably wont own any Texans this season.

21 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Maybe at a round 6 or 7 price but I know he's not falling that far because of his name. 

????

Are there a lot of FF owners in love with having guys named "David" on their name? Or is it "Johnson?" 

37 minutes ago, bomont said:

????

Are there a lot of FF owners in love with having guys named "David" on their name? Or is it "Johnson?" 

Or possible "David Johnson, the league winner of 2016".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

The kind of guy who looks at what he did while healthy last year and says, “I like a comfortable RB1 - if only a team out there offered to pay him over $10M!”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Imagine seeing Carlos Hydes bum a** put up RB2 numbers in O’Brien’s dinosaur system and thinking “You know what? This guy that O’Brien sold the farm for won’t be better than Hyde.”

• Like 2

Except DJ was really, really good before getting hurt last year.

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Except DJ was really, really good before getting hurt last year.

He was inefficient and propped up by goal line work--"good" player he was not, let alone "really, really good"

Posted (edited)

I wish I knew more about his back injury last year.  It seemed to me that when he hit the wall, ARZ turned to the backup, then traded for a healthy RB who was on the block in Drake.  DJ tried to come back, but did not appear to be himself.  I want to believe in the guy, but back injuries never seem to go away.

I'm going to play keep away unless I either find out more about his back or I can get him dirt cheap.

Edited by JAG