KingJoffrey

Clayton Kershaw 2020 Outlook

Kershaw delivered good value for those that decided to gamble and select him in 2019.  They say he has back issues and injury problems but he managed to throw about 180 innings which is pretty good in this day and age.  His Hr/9 took a dramatic swing upwards but nobody was immune to the bouncy ball.  

I really think he can get himself back to the good ol' days of elite pitcher Kershaw and I'm targeting him at hsi ADP.  He's got Mookie now presumably in center field/  He's going to get his wins, K's  slightly over a buck an inning with low walks and a good WHIP.

Spring debut. Struck out 4 in just under 2 innings. Though he did walk a few.  Has a chance to be opening day starter.

He apparently averaged 91 today, topping out at 93. Avg velo last year was 90.

Looks like the time at Driveline worked. Is he back to top 10 status based on this? I’m willing to pay to find out

He'll have a few more bad games, but he's on a very good team playing in pretty good park for pitchers. Fewer strike outs, but should get plenty of wins and quality starts. 

Looks like a lot of the projection systems have him creeping up toward a 3.50 ERA and a WHIP north of 1.10, which seems pretty pessimistic. Targeting my SP1 with a mid fourth and have Corbin/Castillo/Kershaw as the candidates. Think Kershaw is third for me out of that group, but probably a higher floor than Castillo.

Surprised hes not getting more traction.  Espesially in ROTO settings.  Sale/Snell/Luis are toast Clevinger is hurt now and lets face it always hurt.  Kershaw's "down" year last year he posted a 3.03 Era and a 1.04 whip.   Looks to have his fast ball up to 93mph this year.   I have a feeling hes going to creep up the draft boards.

When I saw 93 mph I moved him up my list pronto. Looking forward to the Driveline dividends.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

When I saw 93 mph I moved him up my list pronto. Looking forward to the Driveline dividends.

Exactly. The biggest knock on him lately has been injuries and fastball velo. If the fastball velo is up to 93 again you don’t want to miss out on his upside at this price.

2017 Kershaw incoming

I'm keeping an eye on him but one start isn't going to tell us the whole story. Hopefully he can keep the velocity consistently. He maxed out at 93 last year as well. Maybe he just had some adrenaline in his first start of the year and got it to that range. He average 90.5 last year and it seems like that's around where he was at in this one start.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

He did hit 93 at times last season, but was sitting 88-91 most of the time. Regardless, 93 in his first spring outing is encouraging. People treat him like he's washed up. He's still a rock solid SP1/2

2 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

He did hit 93 at times last season, but was sitting 88-91 most of the time. Regardless, 93 in his first spring outing is encouraging. People treat him like he's washed up. He's still a rock solid SP1/2

That was the thing, "his first spring outing." For him to come out right away and be hitting 93 that was all I needed to see.

That + Driveline + everyone thinking he is washed up = git in my belly!

You think Kershaw didn't hear the stuff that was said after '18, or the stuff that was said last year about how maybe it was Buehler's team now? Kershaw sounds like a man on fire. I'm all-in (I only play in one league, so, take that for what it's worth, but you get it).

I rolled the dice on him this year hopefully he stays healthy

It's interesting to me that people are skeptical about Kershaw's health but are suddenly extremely confident with Strasburg's.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's interesting to me that people are skeptical about Kershaw's health but are suddenly extremely confident with Strasburg's.

Well he’s had back issues in the past

35 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Well he’s had back issues in the past

No doubt.

I just think it's funny that Kershaw has had, what 5 seasons where he's pitched at least 200 innings?

Strasburg's had 2 and they're the same age.

5 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's true. I'm a fan of both guys. Honestly, think I'd take Kershaw. Went to driveline. If wins are a category in your league, he's on the best roster for 2020 IMO. Strasburg pitched a ridiculous amount of innings throwing in playoffs.

I like Kershaw a lot this year for redraft.

• Like 1

90MPH FB last year, injury prone, 3.86 xFIP.... easy pass at his current price. 

8 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I think the buzz so far is that his FB is showing more life than in years past thanks to Driveline. Time will tell

40 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

He was clocking at 93 in his ST start.

Dodgers have a great defense, only gets better with Betts.  Anyone on that staff can outperform expectation stats.

And we're talking about a guy who was the best pitcher on the planet and is only 32.  He appears hungry and the Driveline visit seems to have reason for optimism mechanically.

Not all "injury prone" players are created equal.  Some guys like Jamex Paxton and Rich Hill are just always banged up and taking multiple trips to the DL each season, and are often trying to play through nagging injuries.  Kershaw's profile has tended to be more binary -- his back flares up, he takes a lengthy DL trip to get right, and for the most part, comes back fine.

In a shorter season with what's likely to be a lot more long relief / spot start arms added to expanded rosters, he seems like the perfect guy to take advantage, without a 200 inning expectation, nor any 200 IP peers to be compared against.  And with so many of the guys that were ahead of him going the TJS or at least very long absence route, I don't see how you can say the price is bad right now unless you're just not going to avoid the ace tier entirely (which is a defensible position, but not a point against Kershaw specifically.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's true. I'm a fan of both guys. Honestly, think I'd take Kershaw. Went to driveline. If wins are a category in your league, he's on the best roster for 2020 IMO. Strasburg pitched a ridiculous amount of innings throwing in playoffs.

I like Kershaw a lot this year for redraft.

Well with Strasburg he and other deep playoff pitchers won't be overextended this season because of the extra rest all pitchers are getting right now and will probably get for the foreseeable future.  And, of course, Kershaw can't have back problems while resting same as well.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well with Strasburg he and other deep playoff pitchers won't be overextended this season because of the extra rest all pitchers are getting right now and will probably get for the foreseeable future.  And, of course, Kershaw can't have back problems while resting same as well.

Yeah, I guess extended risk mitigates some of Strasburg's worries.  Still 245.1 IP last year. What a tremendous season for him.