CrypTviLL

Max Scherzer 2020 Outlook

This guy is pretty fascinating this year. In Y! Auctions he's going for around 35. Still in tier 1, but I've been able to get him for $30 in a few auctions which feels like a steal. 

At that price I'm really interested in him, but man he is starting to grow some red flags with injury and age and usage.

Is he on anyones DND list at his current price? Anyone targeting him? Why?

Only question is if that back holds up. Also lots of innings said his arm felt like a noodle at the end of last year.

20 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

This guy is pretty fascinating this year. In Y! Auctions he's going for around 35. Still in tier 1, but I've been able to get him for $30 in a few auctions which feels like a steal. 

At that price I'm really interested in him, but man he is starting to grow some red flags with injury and age and usage.

Is he on anyones DND list at his current price? Anyone targeting him? Why?

Deep World Series run has to also be considered a red flag.

• Like 1

said i wouldnt touch him but am getting intrigued. already throwing 3 inn building that stamina up.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:51 PM, colepenhagen said:

said i wouldnt touch him but am getting intrigued. already throwing 3 inn building that stamina up.

How can you not be intrigued, everything he has said leads me to believe he is in full control of his body and the workload he is ready to endure. 

Side barking already. Hope it’s nothing, but not what I wanted to hear a few weeks into spring training considering his fragility last season. 

11 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Definite concern here

Scherzer himself had a quote where he said he had "absolutely no" concern. Could be player talk.

12 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Definite concern here

I agree. You combine this with age and how deep into the season he pitched last year and I don't think he'll be on any of my teams.  I have noticed him starting to slide just a little in mock drafts.

21 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Side barking already. Hope it’s nothing, but not what I wanted to hear a few weeks into spring training considering his fragility last season. 

I’m really no there to fear monger, but I just heard on fantasy radio Xm that in last years playoffs, he was in so much pain during the playoffs  that his wife had to help him put his shirt on because he couldn’t raise his arm over his head.  As fast as I know, these are unrelated issues. I’m not a doctor. Make of it what you will, just thought I’d share what I heard.

I'm a Nats fan and I can tell you he'll still be electric at times, but yeah I wouldn't draft him unless it's a steal. He isn't a top 15, or even 20 imo, top 25

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WashingtonNats said:

I'm a Nats fan and I can tell you he'll still be electric at times, but yeah I wouldn't draft him unless it's a steal. He isn't a top 15, or even 20 imo, top 25

Now this seems like an overreaction lol

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Now this seems like an overreaction lol

Hes gotta mean top 25 overall,not top 25 sp.  I personally wouldn't let him get that far if I was drafting tonight.  But I would fault anyone for doing so.

• Thanks 1

I think if he’s not at a discount it’s better to be on the safe side and go for a younger arm.

32 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I think if he’s not at a discount it’s better to be on the safe side and go for a younger arm.

Cant disagree. Although I'm a pessimist and think it's a matter of time before all the young flamethrowers have Tommy John so I worry about them too

1 hour ago, Big League Choo said:

Cant disagree. Although I'm a pessimist and think it's a matter of time before all the young flamethrowers have Tommy John so I worry about them too

I'm reaching for Jamie Moyer this year.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Scherzer himself had a quote where he said he had "absolutely no" concern. Could be player talk.

I really hope this is the case [...] but I'm skeptical anytime a player play doctor

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

Same. It's almost become like a rite of passage for young SPs.  You almost want them to hurry up and get it over with so they can move on and no longer have to worry about it.  

Edited by DFWSooner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

Threw a 35 pitch bullpen, said he felt good and threw all pitches. Would imagine he will be ready to go whenever the season begins

Great news. Seems like the extra time off will help also.

• Like 3

Hopefully he’s good to go yahoo has him ranked 11 overall and I drafted him as my sp1 after loading up on offense