Sign in to follow this  
tsh00k

Sam Hilliard 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, dod959 said:

This guy hit 42 homers between AAA/MLB last year, has 99th percentile sprint speed and homered multiple times off Ryu, Thor and Hader down the stretch. 

Sign Puig. 

This forum never should have gotten rid of the confused reaction.

• Like 7

On 2/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Plus: if you draft him you can name your team "What in the Sam Hilliard?"

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sam with a much needed doink & dong day today. Been a little slow so far this spring but the upside is still so tantalizing. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:42 AM, StevieStats said:

Tapia sucks. He's 6'3" but has the muscular build of a child. He had a 73 wRC+ last year in 450 PA... He has horrendous discipline straight hacker at 45% O-Swing, tons of swing and miss at 14.6% SwStr, with a bad hard hit rate of 30% and gobs of groundballs at 52%. There's not a single thing to like about him as a hitter... Other than he's on the Rockies and young so people over rate him like crazy.

Tapia will pose no competition to Hilliard -- IF Hilliard plays well.

Desmond is a sunk cost, had an 86 wRC+ last year, 20 HR, and 20-20 the year before. Veteran presence with a monster deal but can still hit hard sometimes at 38%. Does enough to not write off in real life but not enough to be a fantasy player except for deep leagues.

Hampson was terrible until September. He's a wild card. More of a CF than a corner spot, but he's a 2B by trade so if he gets run at 2B he may not factor in.

Point is... If Hilliard plays well, and that's big IF, he has a path to playing time and it will not be hard to overcome his competition.

you guys are also forgetting the regularly scheduled Dahl injury...….

• Haha 1

Sluggish ST for Hilliard. I never put much stock, if any, in ST numbers. He does have a couple of HRs, but he's also K'd 33 percent of his PAs with only two walks. We know the Ks are going to come in bunches (27.7% in his pro career).

RR has him in a strongside platoon, and with Desmond and Hampson having rough springs, it would have been been nice to see Hilliard separate himself. 

should anyone really trust the Rockies to play him. it feels like they have these top prospects but don't just let them play.

15 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

should anyone really trust the Rockies to play him. it feels like they have these top prospects but don't just let them play.

It doesn't feel that, that's what they actually do

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Are some of them really top prospects though? Hilliard is 26 and was never a guy listed in any of the Top 100 lists. McDaniel and Longenhagen have him at a 45 FV and view him more as a role player/platoon player. I see Rodgers as a top prospect.

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1

I'm still excited about this guy - but there is risk beyond Desmond and maybe Hampson.  A pumped up Tapia might take the AB's...at least until Dahl misses time when maybe we see Hilliard and Tapia alongside Blackmon. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/raimel-tapia-adds-muscle-2020

2 hours ago, Strikeforce316 said:

Why is this guy topping the adds in Yahoo!?

Possibility of added DH gives him some added PT chances? Only thing I can think of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/9/2020 at 6:10 PM, Slatykamora said:

Blackmon was never a ranked prospect. He was a contact/speed guy with fringy power. He was a true talent 4th OF for awhile and was treated as such. When he came up an actually hit well in 2013. They gave him a proper chance as a full time starter.

He didn't grow into his frame until his late 20's. The Rockies MILB system if i remember correctly. Is full of hitter friendly parks. So their stats are already inflated even before coming to Coors. 

Hilliard is not a ranked prospect either....unless you count the 9th ranked prospect of the Rockies...Having said that, I am pretty big on him... in a couple years...[...] .I think he will breakout in a year or two.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story -- player outlook threads need to be focused on the player, not your league/draft

7 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Statcast loves him: power, speed, contact...

Rockies will start him every 14th game or so cuz dem vets.

• Haha 1

He is 3rd string on the depth chart at all 3 positions. They may like his contact, when he makes it....but they don't like his strikeout rate so high... He reduced it to 26.4% in his cup of coffee, but it was much closer to 30+% in the minors. I think he needs another 1/2 year + in AAA, getting regular at bats and developing, rather than riding pine in the bigs and hoping for in juries.