tsh00k

Sam Hilliard 2020 Outlook

Starting opening day is promising, he will get a shot to earn a spot. He will likely be benched vs LHP but if he outplays Tapia there’s a line to nearly full time ABs. Hilliard’s defense also can’t be discounted. He’s no gold Glover but Tapia is BAD defensively and Kemp is old. 

Dreadful opening day at the plate, but that’s what you get sometimes with this guy. 

Reading back on this thread has been a real

hoot.  I was afraid that with the universal DH and Desmond opting out that the Rockies would be forced to play some of their young promising players full time.  Matt Kemp and Chris Owings to the rescue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

hoot.  I was afraid that with the universal DH and Desmond opting out that the Rockies would be forced to play some of their young promising players full time.  Matt Kemp and Chris Owings to the rescue 

Hilliard has started every game against righties (5/7). He is getting the opportunity and will continue to. Hopefully he does better than he has (188/316/438) so he can start against lefties as well. 

The overplayed “Rockies don’t play kids” motto is just not true. Their prospects get overhyped from a fantasy perspective and very few actually watch their games. Hilliard is getting the opportunity & is looking better than his numbers show at the plate. I think he’s on the verge... 

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

Ouch, Hilliard gets benched against a RHP in favor of Chris Owings

Edited by FootballFan101

6 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Ouch, Hilliard gets benched against a RHP in favor of Chris Owings

Owings also pinch hit for him with bases loaded last night. Getting tough to hold.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Hilliard has started every game against righties (5/7). He is getting the opportunity and will continue to. Hopefully he does better than he has (188/316/438) so he can start against lefties as well. 

The overplayed “Rockies don’t play kids” motto is just not true. Their prospects get overhyped from a fantasy perspective and very few actually watch their games. Hilliard is getting the opportunity & is looking better than his numbers show at the plate. I think he’s on the verge... 

Platooning a young player is almost worse than benching him.  How can he become an everyday player if he doesn't get the work in where it is needed most?  It cripples him from the get go and makes him less of a player for the rest of his career than he could have been.  Hope he gets traded so he can become who he can be.  So yeah I'll double down on the fact that the Rockies don't play the kids.

And you know who also got off to a bad start.  I mean a REALLY horrible start?  Dustin Pedroia.  But Tito kept throwing him out everyday and stuck with him that gave CONFIDENCE to the young Pedroia and gave him the playing time he needed to grow.  A manager showing this confidence and trust in a young player is absolutely essential and can never be overrated.  The young Rockies are deprived of this crucial essential.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

15 hours ago, tsh00k said:

They bring in low ceiling vets every year. Kemp, Owings, Desmond, Murphy, Reynolds, etc.

If they were a winning squad it would make sense but when you suck you need to give the new blood a chance.

• Like 1

Hilliard out again...  I am eating my words with 3 straight benches in a row. 

• Like 1

In a season like this hard to hold a guy that doesn't play. Matt Kemp seemed to crush his value or Bud Black or both.

SF starter was unannounced before---if it's a lefty that is at least semi-explainable.  But now that's been announced as Cueto (a righty) it's drop time for Hilliard I am afraid.

1 hour ago, Whizzinator said:

SF starter was unannounced before---if it's a lefty that is at least semi-explainable.  But now that's been announced as Cueto (a righty) it's drop time for Hilliard I am afraid.

In a redraft, maybe. Not in keepers or dynasties. 

"Rockies don't play the kids" is not a myth. As fantasy players I think we sometimes tend to over analyze things. In this situation just trust your eyes. This guy is not going to get playing time until he gets traded or he turns 35.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It sucks that this guy can't find any AB's.....[...] 

Edited by tonycpsu

On 8/3/2020 at 11:22 PM, FoulPole said:

"Rockies don't play the kids" is not a myth. As fantasy players I think we sometimes tend to over analyze things. In this situation just trust your eyes. This guy is not going to get playing time until he gets traded or he turns 35.

The guys stealing most of his time right now are Hampson (25) and Tapia (26).  Yes, Kemp & Owings have contributed as well.  Either way he's pretty buried on the depth chart right now both for good and bad reasons

Sam Hilliard has been contributing HR's and SB's this past week.  Beginning to show fantasy promise in a strong side platoon situation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Sam Hilliard has been contributing HR's and SB's this past week.  Beginning to show fantasy promise in a strong side platoon situation.  

And ironically, he wasn't even in the original lineup last night - he only entered it due to Tapia being scratched at the last minute with a minor elbow issue. If Hilliard and Hampson could start every game, my guess is the organization and fantasy owners would both benefit. Stop messing around with the development of young, talented players.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dark One said:

And ironically, he wasn't even in the original lineup last night - he only entered it due to Tapia being scratched at the last minute with a minor elbow issue. If Hilliard and Hampson could start every game, my guess is the organization and fantasy owners would both benefit. Stop messing around with the development of young, talented players.

Sam is proving himself against RHP. I suppose the next step in his development is to start getting some AB’s against lefties.  Let’s see. 

I like his chances to continue with HR’s and SB’s.  This dude is 6’5” and the power looks easy. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I suppose the next step in his development is to start getting some AB’s against lefties.  Let’s see.

Without question - it should take several seasons before a prospect with as much promise as Hilliard is deemed to be a career platoon player. His final season in AAA he actually hit LHP better than RHP (.268 to .259) in 168 AB's to 332 AB's respectively. Give him a chance to prove/disprove himself.

• Like 3

Why has Hilliard not started for the last five games? There is no blurb on Yahoo. Is he hurt or just not playing?

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Why has Hilliard not started for the last five games? There is no blurb on Yahoo. Is he hurt or just not playing?

They got Pillar at the deadline.  That move seems to have pushed Hilliard out of the starting line-up.  Why?  The Rockies love to play vets past their prime over rising young possible studs.  That's their stupid m.o.

• Like 1

This guys doesn’t play at all anymore. He had a nice run there when he was productive while in the lineup and I was hoping to get something out of him during home series but the Rockies aren’t interested. Sucks. 

17 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

This guys doesn’t play at all anymore. He had a nice run there when he was productive while in the lineup and I was hoping to get something out of him during home series but the Rockies aren’t interested. Sucks. 

They keep playing Pillar.  Once they are mathematically eliminated maybe they will let Hilliard play a game at the end of the season.  I'm holding him in dynasty leagues but in redraft he can't help anyone anymore this year.

He has 6 HR and 3 SB in 29 games...in his last 52 AB was hitting .269-7-5-7-2. And he just got sent to the alternate site so Pillar and Dahl can play. In the last two weeks, those two have 50 ABs combine with a combined .200-4-1-5-1 line. But yeah, send Hilliard down so these two guys can play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

He has 6 HR and 3 SB in 29 games...in his last 52 AB was hitting .269-7-5-7-2. And he just got sent to the alternate site so Pillar and Dahl can play. In the last two weeks, those two have 50 ABs combine with a combined .200-4-1-5-1 line. But yeah, send Hilliard down so these two guys can play. 

The Rockies are 22-26 entering tonight's game.   

Pillar is batting 5th (.234) and Matt Kemp (.243) is batting 6th in the lineup behind Nolan in the cleanup spot.

Maybe the Rockies are trying to prove to Arenado they are making every effort to get into the playoffs by going with the vets. 

I can't think of any other reason.  Strange way to develop a decent prospect like Hilliard.

Edited by Brooklyn Dude