tonycpsu

2020 MiLB Bench Coach Thread

The mod team has received some feedback over the years suggesting that some community members would like a venue where they can pose team / league context-specific questions about minor minor league players to a prospect-oriented audience.  Our response has generally been that we'd prefer folks used the Bench Coach Help forum for this sort of thing.  At the same time, we do recognize that some prospect hounds don't spend as much time in Bench Coach, and therefore might not ever see the prospect questions, which are often drowned out by more general, redraft-oriented fantasy advice.

In response to these requests, we are establishing this MiLB Bench Coach thread on a trial basis, with the following restrictions / caveats:

1. There will be one (and only one) Minor League Bench Coach thread per season.  This means no individual topics for each question, and no asking BC questions in other MiLB threads.  Any BC questions posted in existing threads or as new topics will be merged or removed at the mod team's discretion.

2. Requests for advice may not include discussion of any players who have reached the major leagues. If your question involves adding, dropping, or trading for any players that have accrued any MLB service time, it probably belongs in the Bench Coach forum.  We want to reserve this thread for questions that are grounded in the long-term value of a minor league prospect, not the day-to-day fluctuations of one or more players that have been called up.

3. This thread is an experiment -- one we reserve the right to shut down at our discretion if we feel it isn't working.  We're offering this as a compromise to address a specific complaint, not as a general solution.  We still believe the Bench Coach forum is the right place to ask questions about your team.  Attempts to try to use this thread in any way other than as described above will add to the administrative burden on our end, which will eventually lead to the experiment being killed.  However, if things go well, we may bring this back for the 2020 fantasy season.

With all of that said, we're very thankful to the members of our community who offer their prospect analysis in the MiLB outlook threads, and look forward to a productive discussion here as well.

• Like 2

My dynasty league allows for 10 minor league keepers, and if a player was in the minors on August 31st last season, and called up in September he can still be kept as a minor league player. Here's who I'm planning to keep.

Hitters: Wander Franco, Jo Adell, Nick Madrigal, Taylor Trammell, Monte Harrison
Pitchers: Spencer Howard, Kyle Wright, Tarik Skubal, Brusdar Graterol, James Karinchak
Cuts: Keibert Ruiz, Colton Welker, Braxton Garrett

I won the league last year after a massive rebuild. I'm planning on keeping Wright, Graterol, Karinchak to possibly help this season rather than waiting on Ruiz, Welker, & Garrett. However, I hate giving up on Ruiz and Welker to keep pitchers that could struggle. Curious what the RW prospect world thinks of my strategy?

I’m in a forever keeper league, 12 teams 6x6 (holds/OBP) with two minor slots available. These are your minor league guys available:

Julio Rodriguez

Jarred Kelenic

Bobby Witt, Jr.

Jasson Dominguez

Marco Luciano

Kristian Robinson

Noelvi Marte

How would you rank these players for your two slots? WHIR!

6 minutes ago, smarmy said:

My dynasty league allows for 10 minor league keepers, and if a player was in the minors on August 31st last season, and called up in September he can still be kept as a minor league player. Here's who I'm planning to keep.

Hitters: Wander Franco, Jo Adell, Nick Madrigal, Taylor Trammell, Monte Harrison
Pitchers: Spencer Howard, Kyle Wright, Tarik Skubal, Brusdar Graterol, James Karinchak
Cuts: Keibert Ruiz, Colton Welker, Braxton Garrett

I won the league last year after a massive rebuild. I'm planning on keeping Wright, Graterol, Karinchak to possibly help this season rather than waiting on Ruiz, Welker, & Garrett. However, I hate giving up on Ruiz and Welker to keep pitchers that could struggle. Curious what the RW prospect world thinks of my strategy?

Cuts are going to be made and I feel like those are the best to trim. I see Ruiz stuck behind Will Smith this year at a minimum.

can you look at mine? I posted tight after you did!😂

Julio Rodriguez

Jarred Kelenic
Jasson Dominguez 
Marco

Kristan

Bobby Witt, Jr.

Noelvi Marte

11 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

I’m in a forever keeper league, 12 teams 6x6 (holds/OBP) with two minor slots available. These are your minor league guys available:

Julio Rodriguez

Jarred Kelenic

Marco Luciano

Bobby Witt, Jr.

Jasson Dominguez

Kristian Robinson

Noelvi Marte

How would you rank these players for your two slots? WHIR!

This is how I see it

• Thanks 1

First, would like to say Thanks to all the regular posters in the MILB Forum...  over the years, I've been able to stockpile some very good minor league players in my limited keeper league with all the insights and analysis on up and coming players you guys provide!  You've given me a huge leg up on the other owners who don't pay as much attention to minor league guys.  So that leads me to having a question.  I'll have the 10th pick in our upcoming minor league draft and, long story short, I'd need to drop Vidal Brujan to make that pick or just keep Brujan (have Franco and Gore as my other two minor leaguers which I'm obviously keeping).

The top players not already drafted previously are:  Julio Rodriguez, Andrew Vaughn, Dylan Carlson, Jarred Kelenic, Marco Luciano, Matt Manning, Drew Waters, Adley Rutschman, Jasson Dominguez, Kristian Robinson, Nate Pearson, CJ Abrams, and Bobby Witt

I assume Rodriguez, Vaughn, Carlson, Kelenic, Luciano, Manning, Rutschman, Dominguez, Abrams will be gone by my pick (just my guess even though my fellow owners aren't as prospect savvy).

Thoughts on keeping Brujan versus the potential of landing one of those guys above?  As far as team make-up, my team pre-auction is in my signature.  Thanks.

So I’m currently drafting next For rookie/fa draft in my 14 team h2h dynasty league. This is the 5th year of this this league. I’m having a hard time deciding which prospect to draft next. The draft so far has gone: Vaughn, Rutschman, jasson dominguez, adbrams, witt jr and bleday. Who do you suggest I should take next?

In CBS Dynasty league, our minor league Systems are quite shallow so our prospect pool is filled with studs this seasons draft! Curious to see how you guys rank these available prospects. Cheers 

Luciano, J Rodriguez, J Dominguez, Vaughn, Carlson, Rutschman 

8 hours ago, Ulls55 said:

In CBS Dynasty league, our minor league Systems are quite shallow so our prospect pool is filled with studs this seasons draft! Curious to see how you guys rank these available prospects. Cheers 

Luciano, J Rodriguez, J Dominguez, Vaughn, Carlson, Rutschman 

Rodriguez, Luciano, Vaughn, Dominguez, Rutschman, Carlson

• Like 1

What is a good return to look for in a dynasty format for Wander Franco? Getting a lot of offers but can’t decide on how to value him. WHIR

2 hours ago, jeterhasdowns said:

What is a good return to look for in a dynasty format for Wander Franco? Getting a lot of offers but can’t decide on how to value him. WHIR

I have no idea what players/prospects are available in your league, nor how close you are to competing for a title, but in a full dynasty I'd command nothing less than a premium+ return. If you're looking to trade him then make someone overpay - someone should bite given the hype and with fangraphs recently giving him an 80 FV grade. I mean, a premium+ return can be a wide range of assets depending on your team needs and how close you are to competing for a championship. If you're looking for specific positions, demand at least one top 15 overall type player at that position and then ask for more depth/picks behind it. If you're not close to competing for a title, then require at least three top 20 type specs (preferably two in the top 10). I mean, seriously, the sky's the limit in dynasty for Wander and the return needs to reflect it.

Having said all that - my specific advice is to keep him unless someone truly knocks an offer out of the park. Right now he's as close to a winning lottery ticket as there is in dynasty (not taking into account recent studs that have graduated).

Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I need help, please.  I am in a 12-team standard roto NL-only keeper and most of the best guys are already on teams.  I'll make a list below that shows some of what's available. But first let me explain a couple of things:

1. First, there are four rounds and the salaries attached to each round are $7, $5, $3, $1

2. Second, I have Ke'Bryan Hayes. But he's at $7, so if I keep him I lose my first-rounder. I pick last in the 1st round after winning last season. I expect about four other $7 guys to be kept so that means I'm about #8 in the first round. I'm leaning toward not keeping him even though he might help me this season.

3. Finally, what I'm looking for is guys who will emerge as valuable trade pieces (like Lux last season) - not necessarily making the big leagues in 2020, though. And I really prefer hitters over pitchers.  I need help arranging this list and I need anyone who (you think) i might have missed that fits what I'm looking for.  And honestly, this list is too shallow.

Dylan Carlson
Marco Luciano
CJ Abrams
Brennen Davis
Spencer Howard
Corbin Carroll
Alek Thomas
JJ Bleday
Brailyn Marquez
Hunter Bishop
Josiah Gray
Edward Cabrera - MIA
Matthew Liberatore
Ronny Mauricio
Geraldo Perdomo
Daulton Varsho

Sounds like from the forum maybe Jose Garcia SS CIN belongs on the list?

1 hour ago, Squeeealer said:

Dylan Carlson
Marco Luciano
CJ Abrams
Brennen Davis
Spencer Howard
Corbin Carroll
Alek Thomas
JJ Bleday
Brailyn Marquez
Hunter Bishop
Josiah Gray
Edward Cabrera - MIA
Matthew Liberatore
Ronny Mauricio
Geraldo Perdomo
Daulton Varsho

On your first question, yeah, I'd toss back Hayes, esp if you can just redraft if he drops.  He doesn't appear to be a game changer, like some of the other guys could grow into.

We just completed our NL-Only MiLB draft, and that's most of my list though I don't draft MiLB pitchers unless I cannot avoid it.

In addition to Garcia, I would add Luis Campusano, Kristian Robinson, Jazz Chisholm and Seth Beer if they're available.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Heretic said:

On your first question, yeah, I'd toss back Hayes, esp if you can just redraft if he drops.  He doesn't appear to be a game changer, like some of the other guys could grow into.

We just completed our NL-Only MiLB draft, and that's most of my list though I don't draft MiLB pitchers unless I cannot avoid it.

In addition to Garcia, I would add Luis Campusano, Kristian Robinson, Jazz Chisholm and Seth Beer if they're available.

Thank you!  I forgot Seth got traded to NL.  Anyone blocking his path in the minors?  Unfortunately, Kristian and Jazz are taken.  You a D-Backs guy?  LOL

Posted (edited)

It's dumb luck frankly, before the recent Backs TY and LY (drafted Jazz and Kristian LY), and I randomly DO live in AZ, I grabbed Soto via the same general process.

In addition to them, I grabbed Brennan Davis, who went to HS down the street from where my Dad lives.

On Seth's Path.  Outside Cron there's not much comp at 1B for the Backs.  Real chance he shows up TY, if he can hack it at 1B.  The Stros were viewing him 100% as a DH

To give you an order, I picked these guys in this order

Davis, Luis, Seth, Jose.

And my list was basically

Carlson

Davis

CJ Abrams

Luciano

Alek Thomas

JJ Bleday

Luis Campusano

Ronny Mauricio

Seth

Jose

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Squeeealer said:

I need help, please.  I am in a 12-team standard roto NL-only keeper and most of the best guys are already on teams.  I'll make a list below that shows some of what's available. But first let me explain a couple of things:

1. First, there are four rounds and the salaries attached to each round are $7, $5, $3, $1

2. Second, I have Ke'Bryan Hayes. But he's at $7, so if I keep him I lose my first-rounder. I pick last in the 1st round after winning last season. I expect about four other $7 guys to be kept so that means I'm about #8 in the first round. I'm leaning toward not keeping him even though he might help me this season.

3. Finally, what I'm looking for is guys who will emerge as valuable trade pieces (like Lux last season) - not necessarily making the big leagues in 2020, though. And I really prefer hitters over pitchers.  I need help arranging this list and I need anyone who (you think) i might have missed that fits what I'm looking for.  And honestly, this list is too shallow.

Dylan Carlson
Marco Luciano
CJ Abrams
Brennen Davis
Spencer Howard
Corbin Carroll
Alek Thomas
JJ Bleday
Brailyn Marquez
Hunter Bishop
Josiah Gray
Edward Cabrera - MIA
Matthew Liberatore
Ronny Mauricio
Geraldo Perdomo
Daulton Varsho

Definitely would not keep him, not a high enough upside for that price 

How would you rank these prospects for fantasy purposes in a dynasty league:

Dalbec

Paredes

Rocchio

LRod (dodgers)

Heriberto Hernandez

Thx

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Dalbec

Paredes

Rocchio

LRod (dodgers)

Heriberto Hernandez

Thx

@brockpapersizer @FouLLine @TheTruth024 @Coach George @Tryptamine @ST. STEVEN @ChicksDigTheOPS @hailfire4  

Hi fellas, if you have any input on the above would be grateful..

Also available:

Alex Canario

I'm about to trade Lux, Puk and Riley to acquire Bieber and can add two prospects to replace Lux and Puk...I've already penciled in Alex Manoah to replace Puk and am looking to add a bat to replace Lux.

Any suggestions appreciated, thx!

Edited by bigbossman

10 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

@brockpapersizer @FouLLine @TheTruth024 @Coach George @Tryptamine @ST. STEVEN @ChicksDigTheOPS @hailfire4  

Also available:

Alex Canario

I'm about to trade Lux, Puk and Riley to acquire Bieber and can add two prospects to replace Lux and Puk...I've already penciled in Alex Manoah to replace Puk and am looking to add a bat to replace Lux.

I like Heiberto most

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Also available:

Alex Canario

A little bit depends on size and league make-up, if for instance it is 16 or more teams and esp if there is a MI position. Sorry if details are in your sig, as I hide that stuff.

I might lean a tad towards Paredes in that scenario (MI spot) and if it is a points set-up...but it is tough to turn down the elite bat upside that Hernandez has, he is def has the much better chance to raise his profile in a massive way too. Yeah I'd prob just go him, lol. You might be able to wait on Paredes until he is on the verge of a call-up anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Dalbec

Paredes

Rocchio

LRod (dodgers)

Heriberto Hernandez

Thx

I would go with him as well

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

A little bit depends on size and league make-up, if for instance it is 16 or more teams and esp if there is a MI position. Sorry if details are in your sig, as I hide that stuff.

I might lean a tad towards Paredes in that scenario (MI spot) and if it is a points set-up...but it is tough to turn down the elite bat upside that Hernandez has, he is def has the much better chance to raise his profile in a massive way too. Yeah I'd prob just go him, lol. You might be able to wait on Paredes until he is on the verge of a call-up anyways.

Thanks!

It is a 14 team H2H where we use QS instead of wins and OPS instead of average...

We do use a MI slot, I have Atulve, Story and DeJong up the middle.

We have 10player MiLB rosters where I don't have any MI...

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, bigbossman said:

Dalbec

Paredes

Rocchio

LRod (dodgers)

Heriberto Hernandez

Thx

I shoot for ceiling first and foremost. With that in mind:

1. Rocchio
2. LRod
3. Parades
4. Heriberto
5. Dalbec

Full disclosure: I'm tempted to rank Luis Rodriguez #1. Body and bat skills are very reminiscent of Manny Machado. He's a young project though, so the floor is probably lower than anyone else on this list. 

I think Parades is currently one of the most overrated Minors prospects. The BB:K rates are nice, but phsyically I see Jhonny Peralta as essentially the best-case scenario. 

Check out Rocchio here, if you haven't seen him in action. The stats (.250/.310/.373) haven't caught up to the skills, but this is a switch-hitting 19 year old with super high baseball IQ and an Albies-like skillset. I wouldn't be shocked to see a future where his peak lines are "a moore Tooled Up, star-powered Cesar Hernandez". Or maybe Albies lite sounds more appealing. Either way, I think there's a lot to work with here - and any time a 19 year old has lots of athleticism/skill combined with a high IQ, I'm interested. 

Heriberto... Heriberto...   more like Hype-i-berto, am I right?  What are we betting on happening here?  Pipeline graded him out at 50 hit, 50 power, 45 run. So we'd really need him to stick at catcher for that to play, no?  They end with this line, "He's shaky behind the plate and has seen time at first base, but he'll probably wind up on an outfield corner."   Is a stocky corner outfielder with 50-50-45 grades going to win any leagues? I'll pass there for now - a bet on Heriberto is a bet that the bat is truly special. I'm not there yet. 

It sucks losing Lux, but for Bieber/Manoah/Rocchio I'd be feeling good. If you're more in win-now (or win "soon" mode), Dalbec or Parades are the play.  

If you're feeling lucky, I'd also consider gambling on Luis Rodriguez. The Dodgers kick a** at developing players, and he is a gifted kid with a projectable hit+power frame. He'd probably have the highest true upside of the group, if not for Rocchio's speed. In a point league, where speed is less significant, he'd probably be my #1 choice. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1