Sign in to follow this  
colepenhagen

Trey Mancini 2020 Outlook

career year. splits were about even in every aspect. l/r, month 2 month, home/away, 1st/2nd half

adp around 110. dropped in yahoo ranks to 140+. wont have to reach but seems like good value if he falls. hit 290 two of last three years so his hit tool seems sustainable.

bal lineup looks like pure trash which is making me fade hard

There is some average risk but he did improve his approach with a lot more walks and less strikeouts. Even in a terrible lineup last year he delivered 106 R and 97 RBI, both very good numbers. Offers nothing in speed.

He could be Eddie Rosario a few rounds later. Last year was a career year and that's probably around what his ceiling is. The lineup certainly hurts but he will be playing every day while batting 2-4 at all times. With that lineup slot and every day playing time he should be able to rack up counting stats no matter what lineup he is in.

The floor scares me a little as his 2018 season was essentially non-rosterable, but he made strides so it wasn't like his breakout was because of luck. I won't be reaching for him because he can easily take a step back, but if he falls in any draft I'm in I'll take the plunge. Like the player, just don't like paying for someone with such a low floor in the first 10 rounds.

Hopefully all is okay with him. I more than willing to draft him at a huge discount and stash him on the IL.

6 hours ago, Evincar said:

Hopefully all is okay with him. I more than willing to draft him at a huge discount and stash him on the IL.

Not generally a good sign.  Flashbacks to Carrasco last year.  Hopefully he’s OK.

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not generally a good sign.  Flashbacks to Carrasco last year.  Hopefully he’s OK.

Agree with @Cmilne23.  Here is an article from the Baltimore Sun:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-trey-mancini-reaction-20200308-hndihd4p2vct5f4ptot4xeeha4-story.html

Sounds like a guy we can all get behind.  Hope this is just a small blip in a long life for Trey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Yikes. Is he now a DND? 

I certainly won't be drafting him. No telling what is going on and how it will effect him going forward. There are countless possibilities.

Would this open up the door for Mountcastle?

What a shame. He was one of my favorite 1B targets. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, svdude said:

Would this open up the door for Mountcastle?

Maybe after a few weeks, once the Super 2 deadline is past.  The Orioles suck, so might as well see what Chris Davis has left.

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Maybe after a few weeks, once the Super 2 deadline is past.  The Orioles suck, so might as well see what Chris Davis has left.

I think Davis was mostly to DH.  It might free up some ABs for Dwight Smith Jr., possibly Ryan McKenna gets a longer look out of spring training.  

36 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Any idea what’s going on w him??

Seems like potentially cancer to him or a close relative. This is just a RUMOR. In reality we have no idea, could be anything.  In a 12 team keep 20, I've removed him as one of my keepers for Dylan Cease at the moment. Dont really feel like he's good enough to worth holding on to unless your other options are terrible. He should absolutely fall in ADP.  Why risk it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seems like potentially cancer to him or a close relative. This is just a RUMOR. In reality we have no idea, could be anything.  In a 12 team keep 20, I've removed him as one of my keepers for Dylan Cease at the moment. Dont really feel like he's good enough to worth holding on to unless your other options are terrible. He should absolutely fall in ADP.  Why risk it?

I agree, seems like a headache that you don't need.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

that’s what I was gonna guess but didn’t wanna drop that evil...

Yep been depressed since seeing this this weekend. Mancini took a big step last year and I expected the trend to continue - this is a big hit to pre-draft strategy and MLB in general. 

Have no idea what is going on but planning on him missing at least this season would be a wise approach - while hoping for the best long term.

• Like 1

For those of us who drafted earlier, its really just a wait and see. Hopefully its not a long thing, for his sake. 

I doubt the Orioles will actually put him on the DL prior to the season starting, which sucks for pickups. 

I'm actually very surprised how quiet this has been. Mancini is a very good player and there has been virtually no attention paid to this at all. The whole thing sounds very ominous. 

My first thought is that I hope he is okay. My second thought is this could be a very big blow to owners who already have him on the roster. I'm one of those in one of my leagues. In the other, he would have to fall very far for me to draft him without further news. I'm talking about the draft endgame. It just isn't worth even a mid-round pick for a guy who could be anything from a brief absence to a lost season while he fights a major health issue.

I don't think it is a family member's issue he is dealing with. One of the reports has Mancini undergoing surgery, so it's his health that is the issue.  

Usually you don’t need that until you’re over what 40 or 50?  Hopefully it’s good they caught it.  Colon cancer generally has had a lower survival rate.  Hopefully the tumor was removed without any complications.  Get well soon Trey.  👊🏼

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Usually you don’t need that until you’re over what 40 or 50?  Hopefully it’s good they caught it.  Colon cancer generally has had a lower survival rate.  Hopefully the tumor was removed without any complications.  Get well soon Trey.  👊🏼

Usually means they caught it early when they remove a tumor vs treating it 

• Like 1