BradMaddox

Chris Sale 2020 Outlook

I mean why not? There's a decent chance the season will be lost anyway. If I'm a professional athlete and I've been putting off surgery for one reason or another, now's the time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

I mean why not? There's a decent chance the season will be lost anyway. If I'm a professional athlete and I've been putting off surgery for one reason or another, now's the time. 

The lack of optimism is quite concerning. What reason do you have to believe theres a decent chance the season is lost? Based off what? Look at China for exampe, they are about to start back up their professional basketball league. I get it, Americans arent as 'cooperative' as the Chinese, for obvious reasons (their government is quite different than yours).. but either way, the speeding up of potential cures and labs capable of testing upto 6000 people a day is quite promising. As this goes on, yes more cases will arrive, but so will more potential solutions.

Put a fork in him (if you can find any meat amongst the bone), he's done.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jonninho said:

The lack of optimism is quite concerning. What reason do you have to believe theres a decent chance the season is lost? Based off what? Look at China for exampe, they are about to start back up their professional basketball league. I get it, Americans arent as 'cooperative' as the Chinese, for obvious reasons (their government is quite different than yours).. but either way, the speeding up of potential cures and labs capable of testing upto 6000 people a day is quite promising. As this goes on, yes more cases will arrive, but so will more potential solutions.

I don't think we can eradicate it with this effort. Horse is out of the barn. I think we will have an up and down with periods of low activity followed by outbreaks for the next 18 months until a vaccine is developed. I suspect they will try to get a season going during some window, but I could see the whole thing start over again since there are so many naive immune systems out there. What happens with an outbreak in Houston in August after starting back up in July?  I just don't see how the season could continue. Hopefully human ingenuity comes up with something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

I don't think we can eradicate it with this effort. Horse is out of the barn. I think we will have an up and down with periods of low activity followed by outbreaks for the next 18 months until a vaccine is developed. I suspect they will try to get a season going during some window, but I could see the whole thing start over again since there are so many naive immune systems out there. What happens with an outbreak in Houston in August after starting back up in July?  I just don't see how the season could continue. Hopefully human ingenuity comes up with something. 

I get your point, i personally believe the season gets under way sometime in May. Infact, it would not surprise me if baseball starts up before any other major sport currently suspended just because of the low contact rate among the players. I also believe teams will start playing games behind closed doors when the season begins which would certainly limit the possibility of an outbreak occuring in any given city once it has started back up.

• Haha 2

Up until now I think the upside was a Sabathia-esque trajectory for the next few years as he figured out how to pitch with a different set of weapons. Now even that might be expecting too much. 

This was the best season to draft Sale.  Since the season is likely cancelled, you got a risk free lotto ticket and it boosted your bravado amongst league mates.  Sale will pitch has many innings as Cole and Buehler this year and then be healthy as a horse and ready to roar in 2021!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

This was the best season to draft Sale.  Since the season is likely cancelled, you got a risk free lotto ticket and it boosted your bravado amongst league mates.  Sale will pitch has many innings as Cole and Buehler this year and then be healthy as a horse and ready to roar in 2021!

not if his recovery hits 18 months.  if so he'll miss most of 2022 also.

Probably good long term for him but I doubt he will be ready for 2021 Opening Day. Will be a pretty big question entering the year.

8 hours ago, jonninho said:

And how long as China been dealing with Covid? 

6 hours ago, jb_power said:

not if his recovery hits 18 months.  if so he'll miss most of 2022 also.

How will he miss most of 2022?

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

It usually takes a year and a half for pitchers to be able to take the mound in real game action after Tommy John.

30 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It usually takes a year and a half for pitchers to be able to take the mound in real game action after Tommy John.

Yeah, I know that. But that would be missing 2020 and most of 2021. Right? Just not sure where he’s getting 2022. 

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

my bad, meant to write 2021

Posted (edited)

Here's what I think is stupid.

If the season were starting on time, Sale and the Red Sox would likely still be continuing to fool themselves into thinking rest and rehab is the way to go. But since the season is delayed, they came to their senses and said "Ok, ok, since we won't be playing for a bit with the season being delayed, let's do what we should have done all along and go ahead and get the damn surgery."

Maybe if they correctly addressed this LAST YEAR starting in August-September when they claimed his elbow was "fine" and that "rest" was the way to go, he wouldn't be looking at an absence that possibly goes into the 2021 season.

I will never understand why so many of these players and teams fool themselves into thinking "rest and rehab" is the way to go for my f'ed up elbow. More often than not, it ends up delaying the inevitable which then causes them to be on the shelf for even longer than they should have been.

Hmm, miss a few months while you "rest and rehab", then worsen your elbow when you finally pick up a ball again before finally deciding to go under knife and be out for 1.5 years which ends up being closer to (2) years because of the "rest and rehab" nonsense. Now Sale is looking out missing time from August through end of season in 2019, all of 2020 and part of 2021 now.

Or:

Do what you should have done from the beginning and get the surgery in order to be out 1.5 years tops. If they had done did this rather than kick the can down the street so to speak, Sale would be looking at possibly being back by end of 2020 and most certainly ready by 2021.

Edited by ThreadKiller

16 hours ago, jonninho said:

I get your point, i personally believe the season gets under way sometime in May. Infact, it would not surprise me if baseball starts up before any other major sport currently suspended just because of the low contact rate among the players. I also believe teams will start playing games behind closed doors when the season begins which would certainly limit the possibility of an outbreak occuring in any given city once it has started back up.

Sorry boss, but this is an extremely ignorant take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Sorry boss, but this is an extremely ignorant take.

and why is that? Everyone has their view points and i would love to understand what about it is ignorant?

8 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

And how long as China been dealing with Covid? 

To my understanding.. between 5-6 months... where as us in N.America have been dealing with it for a significantly less period of time. However, the difference is it has hit us in the Western world at a time where scientists/doctors have been working endless hours for a solution, while having examples of how it took over in other countries in the East. China did not have that luxury and was dealing with it on a day to day basis.. atleast we have guidelines to follow. My hope is using the information/examples we have been provided with, we will be dealing with this for not as much of an extended period of time.

59 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Here's what I think is stupid.

If the season were starting on time, Sale and the Red Sox would likely still be continuing to fool themselves into thinking rest and rehab is the way to go. But since the season is delayed, they came to their senses and said "Ok, ok, since we won't be playing for a bit with the season being delayed, let's do what we should have done all along and go ahead and get the damn surgery."

Maybe if they correctly addressed this LAST YEAR starting in August-September when they claimed his elbow was "fine" and that "rest" was the way to go, he wouldn't be looking at an absence that possibly goes into the 2021 season.

I will never understand why so many of these players and teams fool themselves into thinking "rest and rehab" is the way to go for my f'ed up elbow. More often than not, it ends up delaying the inevitable which then causes them to be on the shelf for even longer than they should have been.

Hmm, miss a few months while you "rest and rehab", then worsen your elbow when you finally pick up a ball again before finally deciding to go under knife and be out for 1.5 years which ends up being closer to (2) years because of the "rest and rehab" nonsense. Now Sale is looking out missing time from August through end of season in 2019, all of 2020 and part of 2021 now.

Or:

Do what you should have done from the beginning and get the surgery in order to be out 1.5 years tops. If they had done did this rather than kick the can down the street so to speak, Sale would be looking at possibly being back by end of 2020 and most certainly ready by 2021.

I think the timeline for the surgery decision falls in line with what we have seen in the past several times over. 

34 minutes ago, jonninho said:

To my understanding.. between 5-6 months... where as us in N.America have been dealing with it for a significantly less period of time. However, the difference is it has hit us in the Western world at a time where scientists/doctors have been working endless hours for a solution, while having examples of how it took over in other countries in the East. China did not have that luxury and was dealing with it on a day to day basis.. atleast we have guidelines to follow. My hope is using the information/examples we have been provided with, we will be dealing with this for not as much of an extended period of time.

So you think it’s going to take us two months to get back to playing baseball when China has dealt with this for ~6 months and just reported yesterday for the first time in months: no new cases. May is an extremely aggressive and enormously optimistic timeline to get back to baseball. Heck, my kids may not get back to school until August. I’m glad you have hope, but I don’t find it to be very realistic. Even Dr. Fauci has said this is going to get a lot worse before it starts getting better. 

19 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

I think the timeline for the surgery decision falls in line with what we have seen in the past several times over. 

Did anyone say otherwise? I was pointing out that it's silly that teams and players continue to do it this way.

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

my bad, meant to write 2021

Ah okay. My apologies then. Lol. I was thinking, “Wait, what am I not getting??” Lol. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So you think it’s going to take us two months to get back to playing baseball when China has dealt with this for ~6 months and just reported yesterday for the first time in months: no new cases. May is an extremely aggressive and enormously optimistic timeline to get back to baseball. Heck, my kids may not get back to school until August. I’m glad you have hope, but I don’t find it to be very realistic. Even Dr. Fauci has said this is going to get a lot worse before it starts getting better. 

Dr. Fauci says "several weeks". I don't know about you, but "several weeks" to me does not mean "several months".

Not trying to say I know what will happen or that I'm confident baseball starts in May, but if you're going to mention Dr. Fauci as your evidence that baseball won't start in May, at least accurately disclose what all he said. If going by "several weeks", the guess of May probably makes more sense than August, no?

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

Did anyone say otherwise? I was pointing out that it's silly that teams and players continue to do it this way.

No you didn't :) First and foremost I am no Red Sox apologist but not every elbow injury is the same. Sox and Sale were/are privy to likely 2-3 medical opinions and try to take to correct course. As a fan/owner/outsider looking in, I agree with you, that to us it appears like we knew where this was likely to end in TJS. Which can validate ourselves falsely because if 2-3 experts agree on a course of treatment that is different than ours, it doesn't make us smarter than those experts just because the result we expected initially eventually came to fruition. It's seems like the worst type of elbow injury. One that can get better by rest and rehab or get worse. Where the recommendation then turns to TJS after resuming play and learning the elbow didn't heal or got worse...