BradMaddox

Chris Sale 2020 Outlook

11 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

There is a subscription requirement affixed to the link.  What does it say?

Oh crap - sorry!  I didn’t think so.  It’s basically Bostonian reporters feeling affronted by not being given any facts regarding Sale’s surgery.  I understand their frustration.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Oh crap - sorry!  I didn’t think so.  It’s basically Bostonian reporters feeling affronted by not being given any facts regarding Sale’s surgery.  I understand their frustration.

Since the Mets have announced Syndergaard had his surgery yesterday the 26th I don't blame them.  Now the Mets haven't mentioned where he had it which is interesting.  Anyway my bet is Sale hasn't gone under the knife yet as they scramble to find out how not to look like dicks yet get it done asap.  Maybe they can get the Mets doctors involved since they seem to have a "source" who performs Tommy Johns in the middle of a national medical crisis.

Of course the Mets claim Syndergaard's wasn't "elective" because of the partial tear so who knows.  Maybe it is time for Doc Andrews to take a vacation to some tropical island in the middle of nowhere and take along his medical supplies/assistants and his best buddy, Chris Sale.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Since the Mets have announced Syndergaard had his surgery yesterday the 26th I don't blame them.  Now the Mets haven't mentioned where he had it which is interesting.  Anyway my bet is Sale hasn't gone under the knife yet as they scramble to find out how not to look like dicks yet get it done asap.  Maybe they can get the Mets doctors involved since they seem to have a "source" who performs Tommy Johns in the middle of a national medical crisis.

Of course the Mets claim Syndergaard's wasn't "elective" because of the partial tear so who knows.  Maybe it is time for Doc Andrews to take a vacation to some tropical island in the middle of nowhere and take along his medical supplies/assistants and his best buddy, Chris Sale.

I mean. It was Chaim Bloom who announced it would be “elective.”  

If you’re looking for a fall guy.

Edited by BMcP

Bizarre. I can not imagine, even with COVID-19, that an orthopaedic surgeon and a couple staff are the reason he has not gone under the knife.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Bizarre. I can not imagine, even with COVID-19, that an orthopaedic surgeon and a couple staff are the reason he has not gone under the knife.

Not sure if serious

10 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

It's the ventilator crisis issue.  To use one for elective surgery right now is not exactly the best thing to be doing.

Well apparently he has finally had his surgery but no real details on where in this blurb:

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reports that Chris Sale underwent Tommy John surgery on Thursday.

It was reported 11 days ago that Sale needed the surgery, but Speier notes that "scheduling the procedure proved challenging for a number of reasons, including the limitation on elective surgeries by many states in response to the COVID-19 pandemic." The 31-year-old will miss the entire 2020 season (if there is one, of course) and get a late start to the 2021 campaign, as well. This is the first year of the five-year, $145 million contract extension that Sale signed last March.

Source: Boston Globe    Mar 30, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

23 minutes ago, notabot314 said:

Any value to keeping Sale for any amount of time in contract leagues?  There were concerns before the surgery and now...idk...

Value for next season and on-going? Absolutely.  While there's no guarantee that Sale returns to the same dominance as he did pre-injury, the reward is too high, imo, to just let him go for nothing.  There is a history of guys that have come back from TJS as strong or stronger, so for me, the risk is worth keeping him because if he does come back he's arguably a top 5 SP-ace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notabot314 said:

Any value to keeping Sale for any amount of time in contract leagues?  There were concerns before the surgery and now...idk...

He probably won't be able to pitch until mid-2021 at the earliest at a major league level but yeah he will probably come back far better than his last two years as so many TJ pitchers seem to do.  Yes there is a small minority where it doesn't go well but these days most pitchers come back with more velocity and strength.

And the "concerns" before the surgery came out of the fact he had been pitching hurt and changing his delivery etc etc to just get the ball over the plate.  Those concerns go away after the surgery.

17 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He probably won't be able to pitch until mid-2021 at the earliest at a major league level but yeah he will probably come back far better than his last two years as so many TJ pitchers seem to do.  Yes there is a small minority where it doesn't go well but these days most pitchers come back with more velocity and strength.

And the "concerns" before the surgery came out of the fact he had been pitching hurt and changing his delivery etc etc to just get the ball over the plate.  Those concerns go away after the surgery.

Agreed, he's recently 31 now and even if you're getting him in anticipation of being 100% in 2022 he'll only be 33. Half of last year's top 10 in terms of WAR for starting pitchers were over 33. 

• Like 1