Gamecubesupreme

Naz Reid 2019-2020 Outlook

Getting minutes as the back-up to KAT.

Was undrafted, but showing real promise as a big who can shoot the 3.

Not standard league material quite yet, but worth a look for those in 14-team+ leagues.

Had a nice spin move or two at the basket. Good body control for a big guy.  I think he is a year away. But shows a lot of promise from I have seen.

How did he play last night ? Why only 20-ish minutes ? Not ready yet or foul trouble ?

Tnx 

also monitoring this guy but I don't have any C spot left ...

3 minutes ago, Stefan said:

How did he play last night ? Why only 20-ish minutes ? Not ready yet or foul trouble ?

Tnx 

I think he played pretty well in his 22 minutes. 12 pts, 6reb, 1blk and 1 Stl.  I think he will be a good player.  He can hit threes, has nice moves around the basket. If KAT is out for a while he might be worth a look. For an undrafted rookie, I think his future looks bright. 

Also with Dlo, Beasley, Henangomez, chucking up threes, he does not get many looks when he is on the court.

• Like 1

Hard to say...per minute Naz is a beast and has been pretty consistent in limited minutes.  I don't think he plays a ton of minutes without KAT, more likely spread out.  He'll probably do his usual and sprinkle the box score...and maybe have a poor shooting game he and there where he doesnt score much.  I like him in dynasty but don't see a path to consistent minutes behind KAT. 

14 hours ago, rabaak said:

I think he played pretty well in his 22 minutes. 12 pts, 6reb, 1blk and 1 Stl.  I think he will be a good player.  He can hit threes, has nice moves around the basket. If KAT is out for a while he might be worth a look. For an undrafted rookie, I think his future looks bright. 

Also with Dlo, Beasley, Henangomez, chucking up threes, he does not get many looks when he is on the court.

This guy shoots when he touches the ball, his usage is unreal. I think they need to limit his looks even more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

This guy shoots when he touches the ball, his usage is unreal. I think they need to limit his looks even more.

Blasphemy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

It's crazy!  Like the minute he touches the ball he's jacking up a 3.  If they were competitive / playoff team he probably has way less of a leash to just shoot.  But then again he's making them so maybe...

1 minute ago, hipriest69 said:

It's crazy!  Like the minute he touches the ball he's jacking up a 3.  If they were competitive / playoff team he probably has way less of a leash to just shoot.  But then again he's making them so maybe...

Probably just excited to finally be able to touch the ball with the way Dlo, Beasley, Hernagomez, and Culver jack up shots. 

I can't imagine what his stats would be if he go 25+ min a game consistently. His 22 minutes against the hornets were the most he has played all year.

1 minute ago, rabaak said:

Probably just excited to finally be able to touch the ball with the way Dlo, Beasley, Hernagomez, and Culver jack up shots. 

I can't imagine what his stats would be if he go 25+ min a game consistently. His 22 minutes against the hornets were the most he has played all year.

His usage is 27 which is crazy. And his fg% is not that good. So if you were running the team you would say to those guys please make room for Naz Reid, he needs more touches? I cannot believe that.

Just now, RipCity0 said:

His usage is 27 which is crazy. And his fg% is not that good. So if you were running the team you would say to those guys please make room for Naz Reid, he needs more touches? I cannot believe that.

Exactly - good thing they in tank mode...they're probably just like hey kid go nuts.    

• Like 1

his FG% in February is 48.4%.  I think this is where he will be (around 50%) ROSW with more consistent playing time.   Considering he is a rookie,  I will not complain about 1.4 3PM in Feb form C position with 100% FT% and 0.8 TOs. Blocks could be higher but 0.8 sprinkle helps . 

• Like 1

So far in limited minutes hes looked good. I love his usage and I am not a huge fan of James Johnson. Hes had opportunities before and hasnt done real well with them. My only drops are eric gordon and kendrick nunn as of now so I have to decide if any of them are worth letting go on an essential flyer.

2 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

I would argue that usage stat in isolation is not a very meaningful. There are 4 other players on the court in the 22 Min that Reid is on the Court in the last game. (More like 11 min ave most games).  My guess is that it would be a combo of the following:

Johnson, Okogie, Culver, McLaughlin, Hernangomez, Crabbe, Beasley, Russell.

So out of this group, you probably would want Russell, Beasley, and Hernangomez taking over the majority of the offense in that time frame.  (and they probably did).

I like Reid's chances of creating some offense on the court instead of Culver, Crabbe McLaughlin and Okogie (unless they are fast break opportunities), as those Reid opportunities are either moves around the basket or wide open threes. (I've seen at least 3 times where he made nice spin moves at the basket for a big guy, and didn't get the basket). (Hernangomez has a similar problem finishing at the basket). So his FG % probably will get better as he gets more playing time with the 27 usage.

Based on who else he is on the court with, I don't find the 27 usage all that outrageous. I'm glad he is being aggressive with his minutes  and trying to score when opportunities present themselves.

For a undrafted rookie who started out in the G-League, I think the wolves have a diamond in the rough and hope he continues to grow as a player going forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

RW blurbs and articles seem to reference his per-36s to justify him as a hot pickup. While most of the stats do look great, they do also forget to mention that his foul rate is 2.3PF / 11.4 mpg which translates to 7.3PF / 36m albeit on a rather small sample size. For reference, JJJ is 5.2PF / 36m and Mitchell Robinson is 5.3PF / 36m.

While Naz can be valuable if his per-36s hold up with more playing time (even in limited minutes off the bench), it might be worth considering that foul trouble can cap his upside, when contemplating pickups.

4 hours ago, darkyume said:

RW blurbs and articles seem to reference his per-36s to justify him as a hot pickup. While most of the stats do look great, they do also forget to mention that his foul rate is 2.3PF / 11.4 mpg which translates to 7.3PF / 36m albeit on a rather small sample size. For reference, JJJ is 5.2PF / 36m and Mitchell Robinson is 5.3PF / 36m.

While Naz can be valuable if his per-36s hold up with more playing time (even in limited minutes off the bench), it might be worth considering that foul trouble can cap his upside, when contemplating pickups.

Yup. Non-starter for me.

Really hard to base per 36 min as a good metric. These types of guys for the most part are putting up huge numbers against 2nd units and in garbage time. Prime example is Moritz Wagner - Dude struggled with extra PT.

Edited by sharkpotato
  • Like 1

Reid's per 36 foul rate is not a problem imo. He is end of the bench guy splitting time with Johnson at 5 until KAT is back. If I am playing him (I do own Reid) that means I do not have anyone better to start.  I will gladly take whatever he can give me, foul trouble or not.

I am wondering if Wolves will ever go big with starting five: Dlo,  Beasley, Hernangomez, Reid and KAT. The can all hit 3s.... That would do wonders for my fantasy team 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Reid's per 36 foul rate is not a problem imo. He is end of the bench guy splitting time with Johnson at 5 until KAT is back. If I am playing him (I do own Reid) that means I do not have anyone better to start.  I will gladly take whatever he can give me, foul trouble or not.

I am wondering if Wolves will ever go big with starting five: Dlo,  Beasley, Hernangomez, Reid and KAT. The can all hit 3s.... That would do wonders for my fantasy team 

I think the only way Reid can maximize his value is to get 22-25 min off the bench. Inserting him into the starting lineup with usage monsters like Dlo, KAT and Beasley will only hinder his value imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darkyume said:

Other foul rates to consider:

LSU (34 games): 3.2 fouls in 27.2 mpg ... 4.2 fouls/36

Summer League (7 games): 1.7 fouls in 18.6 mpg ... 3.3 fouls/36

Preseason (3 games): 1.6 fouls in 13.6 mpg ... 4.2 fouls/36

G League (16 games): 4 fouls in 30.8 mpg ... 4.7 fouls/36

I think improvement can be expected, but he's probably more of a dynasty target.

Keep in mind, valuable centers can be hard to find in a Punt FG%/TO build. Seems like there's a team like that in most H2H leagues. That owner should be carefully monitoring Naz's situation.

• Like 1

This is the way

It Was Written

All aboard the Nazty train