Sign in to follow this  
tonycpsu

Jose Urquidy 2020 Outlook

One of many Mystery Box SP gambles that will be available heading into the late rounds of drafts, I'm finding it hard to say no to the risk reward calculus here.  The 41 regular season innings were somewhat unremarkable, but the 10 postseason innings (including five two-hit shutout innings against the eventual world champion Nationals) suggests there might be more here than we had a chance to see in limited regular season action.  Trash can banging or not, this team is going to win a lot of games, and unlike in previous years, there's plenty of room in the rotation if he has early success.

SP70 right now in Fantasypros ADP, around names like Keuchel, Canning, Jon Gray, and Dakota Hudson.  Except in the deepest of leagues where an innings floor is more important, there's no way I take any of those guys over Urquidy.

I like him. Guy threw 5 scoreless 2 hit/0BB 4k innings in a World Series start as a rookie. Dont think he's ever an Ace, but I think he could be a top 50 pitcher rather easily, so certainly some value at 70.  Kinda seems like he has the 4th spot for sure.

One of my friends does call him baby shoulders though. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I like him. Guy threw 5 scoreless 2 hit/0BB 4k innings in a World Series start as a rookie. Dont think he's ever an Ace, but I think he could be a top 50 pitcher rather easily, so certainly some value at 70.  Kinda seems like he has the 4th spot for sure.

One of my friends does call him baby shoulders though. 

Another one your friends called him Erasmo Jr.

• Haha 2

I was in on Urquidy last year and I’ll have some shares again this year. 

• Like 1

Was he a starter all of last year or did he do relief work? RP innings can skew K-rate stats if you are using those to evaluate his ability as a starter. 

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Was he a starter all of last year or did he do relief work? RP innings can skew K-rate stats if you are using those to evaluate his ability as a starter. 

he was certainly both, but in the majors he pitched in 9 games, 7 as starts

14 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

In his 34 innings as a starter he K’d 36. I like Urquidy but he is real tough to get a read on yet. SP Streamers scouting report on him is about as good as your gonna get until we get to see a larger sample.

Jose Urquidy pitched three scoreless innings and struck out four out of the pen Tuesday against the Cardinals.

Urquidy walked none and threw 31 of his 39 pitches for strikes. Since the Astros declined to spend to add to their rotation, Urquidy is pretty much a lock for a spot, and he should be a significant mixed-league asset initially.

Urquidy threw a total of 144 innings last year, getting 41 of those innings with the Astros returning a 2-1 record and 3.95 ERA. He offers four pitches, excellent command, and is worth a late pick in drafts as the Astros fourth starter

With an ADP in the 220-231 range, this guy might be gold with the control he is showing and the strikeouts

• Like 2

Looks like his ownership is still around 50% in Yahoo leagues. Who else is holding out hope this guy can provide some value if/when he returns?

2 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Looks like his ownership is still around 50% in Yahoo leagues. Who else is holding out hope this guy can provide some value if/when he returns?

Just picked him up but in a keeper league, so if he doesn’t perform this year I still have him next year. His playoff performance last year has me incredibly high on him.

17 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

He's sitting in one of my IL spots, but realistically I'll probably waive him once he's activated unless I need a spot start. 

3 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

10 days away

Source?

40 minutes ago, JCD said:

Source?

• New Player Note Fri, Aug 28

Astros manager Dusty Baker said in an interview on SportsTalk 790 in Houston on Friday that Jose Urquidy (undisclosed) is probably around 10 days away from a return.

Advice: Urquidy is still building back up following a stint on the injured list due to undisclosed reasons. The Astros haven't committed yet to what role he will fill once he is activated.

More: SportsTalk 790 on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

4 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:
  • New Player Note Fri, Aug 28

Astros manager Dusty Baker said in an interview on SportsTalk 790 in Houston on Friday that Jose Urquidy (undisclosed) is probably around 10 days away from a return.

Advice: Urquidy is still building back up following a stint on the injured list due to undisclosed reasons. The Astros haven't committed yet to what role he will fill once he is activated.

More: SportsTalk 790 on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

"probably" and "around"?

52 minutes ago, JCD said:

"probably" and "around"?

Better than radio silence 🤷🏻

If he's anything like the guy we saw in the playoffs last year, he could be league-winner.

Pick him up if you can afford a stash for the next week