Sign in to follow this  
Gobux1970

Razzball Top 100 Prospects

They really like the young bloods. Must be scared that they are not the first to jump on board

It seems just like an eclectic list of guys in the second half. Interesting guys for sure but not sure how some of these guys make the list over others.

49 minutes ago, BIG SKI said:

They really like the young bloods. Must be scared that they are not the first to jump on board

And then they're the first to jump off when someone struggles. Trammell is a good example. I remember when Razzball was higher on him than anyone else, now he's off their top 100.

Ultimately the point of holding prospects is to have them graduate to your MLB roster and produce actual stats. If you bail on everyone who struggles at AA for the next shiny new thing, you might never actually make that happen.

• Like 1

Clearly a high upside list. I don't mind it for dynasty, generally you shoot for the moon.

• Like 2

Feel like I know prospects pretty well, play in some deep leagues, never heard of Keithron Moss. On my watch list now, sure. Can;'t see how thats a top 100 prospect but ok.

96-97 Joey Cantillo and Alexfri Planez, two guys I actually like, but top 100 prospect? I dunno, they have a lot of question marks too, particularly Planez.

Monte Harrison at 60? In 2020? Man, that seems like a guy I wouldnt want to bet on. I guess if it all clicks and they figure out the one thing they need to do they'll be good, but he seems like a longshot and theres by far better upside guys at this point. Harrison in triple A as a 24 year was a below (slightly) league average hitter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

And then they're the first to jump off when someone struggles. Trammell is a good example. I remember when Razzball was higher on him than anyone else, now he's off their top 100.

Ultimately the point of holding prospects is to have them graduate to your MLB roster and produce actual stats. If you bail on everyone who struggles at AA for the next shiny new thing, you might never actually make that happen.

I think this mostly applies to deeper leagues.  In shallower leagues, you want to hit gold with prospects or else they aren't TOO valuable.  While in my 30 teamer I would be ecstatic with even an Adam Frazier career lol

I really, really like this list.  It might even be my favorite so far.  I like how they aren't afraid to take risks with players that I (feel semi-comfortable) saying will jump up.  Most prospect lists like to keep players like Trammel on there for a while on the chance they bounce back, and are afraid of being perceived to be too "aggressive" with archetype- riser/breakout prospects like Abrams, Luciano, etc.  Like, I keep seeing some lists having Luciano in top 10, and then all the others which have him in high teens/low 20s always say something like "he looks like a stud, hits like a stud, but... TECHNICALLY... he needs to "prove" himself one more reason for us to "justify" the ranking".  Which from my perspective is just saving face.  

Basically this was my way of saying I really like how they go with their gut and aren't afraid to veer away from industry consensus.  And when they do that, I'm really vibing.  Like even someone like Pache- without defense, he really has no business being in the top 50 of FANTASY rankings.  I like how they aren't afraid to lowball him with a 52.

Like I said before, I like the Luciano and Abrahms ranking.  I'm vibing with the high Caroll, Davis, maybe even Brujan rankings too.    I like them lowballing Mize, I think he's far riskier than the prospect community at large does, same with Whitley.  I like them jumping Brailyn up too.  Honestly, the more I read the more I'm falling in love with this list.

Some problems (I have) :

Oneil cruz at 16?  Sure, elite exit velocity, I own some shares, but let's see him put up some good numbers please. 

Nick Solak at 38 and Evan White at 22?  sure, pRoXiMiTy, but still..

I think Groshans should be higher, also Orelvis

Monte Harrison????

Luisangel is highly overrated (imo)

Some of these people at the end I've never heard of lol (figuratively)

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

Any list with Hedbert Perez in the top 100 is a legit list in my book. Some of it does seem odd near the end, but I do the same with my lists whether it's prospects or rankings in general. Once it gets past the obvious, top tier guys, I go with some reaches. It seems like most lists are made with one eye on the consensus, and this one definitely went their own way towards the end. I like Ball a lot, and while 99 is high comparatively, he's probably in a tier of 50+. 

• Like 1

Def a solid read and good part of the overall prospect lexicon.

Skubal ahead of both Mize and Manning is rather bold. I do appreciate many of the bolder calls here.

Was interesting to see Kyle Lewis at #57, seems like he has disappeared across all other big pub lists--even fantasy ones.

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Was interesting to see Kyle Lewis at #57, seems like he has disappeared across all other big pub lists--even fantasy ones.

Feel like he disappeared even more he debuted 

I am hoping Jasson slides to me in my minors draft and think he has all the potential in the world but how do you put a guy 8th who has never seen live pitching?  That is just guessing.

Not a bad list. Never liked the site though.

James Anderson at RotoWire the best imo.

Ranks guys in the top 20, way before other sites do it.

Keith Law of ESPN, another fav.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

I like James Anderson, but not convinced his method is always great. He is super aggressive ranking guys at times, but then will cut bait on them quickly too.  So if you get like a rookie or J2 guy he has ranked somewhere between like 40-80, theres a lot better shot that person might be 200 or later in a little bit of time than for Law/Baseball America. Being aggressive cuts both ways with prospect rankers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First rankings I’ve seen that had Rutschman ranked 4th among “first year players”. 
Kind of surprising considering his talent.

17 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Not a bad list. Never liked the site though.

Keith Law of ESPN, another fav.

I like James too. I think I trust Fangraphs more than any other service, than Baseball America/MLB Pipeline.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve gar said:

First rankings I’ve seen that had Rutschman ranked 4th among “first year players”. 
Kind of surprising considering his talent.

Could be stupid but I think the top 4 picks are pretty good, take your shot, honestly I could see Witt, Greene, Caroll, or Pena being the best guy too. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Could be stupid but I think the top 4 picks are pretty good, take your shot, honestly I could see Witt, Greene, Caroll, or Pena being the best guy too. 

Riley greene?

Wont Carroll power hold him down some?

Imo, JRod becomes Wander like, ranking after him.

I got Luciano next.

I think O'Neill Cruz is a big riser. I do like e pena alot too.

10 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Riley greene?

Wont Carroll power hold him down some?

Imo, JRod becomes Wander like, ranking after him.

I got Luciano next.

I think O'Neill Cruz is a big riser. I do like e pena alot too.

Just think those are all good fypd picks, Carroll looks like he could develop some, and with his speed and discipline that would be great 

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Just think those are all good fypd picks, Carroll looks like he could develop some, and with his speed and discipline that would be great 

Just curious.

Where would you rank riley on a prospect ranking?

30th

Hes available in my leagues, as well as bleday. We have 5 man minors.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:45 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I like James Anderson, but not convinced his method is always great. He is super aggressive ranking guys at times, but then will cut bait on them quickly too.  So if you get like a rookie or J2 guy he has ranked somewhere between like 40-80, theres a lot better shot that person might be 200 or later in a little bit of time than for Law/Baseball America. Being aggressive cuts both ways with prospect rankers.

I feel the same way about James Anderson.  I like him but you have to understand his patterns and take some things with a grain of salt.  He has a tendency to dream on the unknown and then downgrade players who are impressive but whose stats are not eye popping. 

His Cubs ranking drove me crazy.

Miguel Amaya is ranked eighth behind Ronnier Quintero, who is a bad bodied 17 year old.  Amaya is not quite 21 and will be in AA this year.  Amaya looks like a solid starting major league catcher.  Who knows what Quintero is at this point but the chances that he progresses as smoothly as Amaya is slim.

Richard Gallardo was debately the best 2018 J2 pitcher in baseball.  The fact that he pitched stateside in 2019 instead of the DSL is impressive.  How can he not be a top twenty prospect for the Cubs?

The Cubs have Christopher Morel (J2 2015) and his younger brother, Rafael (J2 2018) for similar amounts.  In 2019 Christopher had a nice year in the Midwest League and Rafael had a nice year in the DSL. Anderson has Christopher 16th and Rafael 5th basically because Christopher was more exposed at the higher level, which is to be expected.    

Edited by Lonny Baxter

One of the few lists I noticed Aaron Bracho ranked fairly higher than others. What are your thoughts on him? Is he someone that will rise up this year?