ZappB

Deebo Samuel 2020 Outlook

People keep posting about his 2020 outlook in the 2019 thread so as a public service I'm creating this thread.

I worry a bit about passing volume, though I agree with the takes that he can be a WR2.  I'm not scared of Pettis.  What intrigues me is that he was getting 1-3 carries every game from Week 13 through the Super Bowl, getting 28 rush ypg and 2 rushing TDs over that span.

Edited by ZappB

Posted (edited)

And the first domino of the 49ers defense not being as good as it was last year falls, DeForest Buckner gone (as I predicted in the 2019 Deebo forum, it was going to be difficult for them to afford Armstead and Buckner). Mortal lock that there will be a regression in team defense from last year, which should only help provide more passing volume.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Manny Sanders heading to Nola. Lots of targets opening up for Deebo. There's a good chance the niners take Jeudy or Lamb at 13, but they've also been heavily linked to Javon Kinlaw and CJ Henderson and have big needs at DT and CB. Even if the niners do nab Jeudy or Lamb I don't anticipate them being much more productive than Sanders was last year in their rookie season (and there's a legitimate chance they would be less productive). Coming off a big rookie season going into his second year with Jimmy G, Deebo's arrow is pointing up.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 2

Sanders gone + Travis Benjamin incoming and Petis ont the trading block shifts the arrow to up for Deebo. 😆

43 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Sanders gone + Travis Benjamin incoming and Petis ont the trading block shifts the arrow to up for Deebo. 😆

Glad to see you finally coming around. Even if the Niners draft a receiver in the first this year, Deebo will see an uptick in targets. If they miss out on Jeudy or CeeDee or pass on receiver in the first, Deebo's ceiling next year is sky high.

6 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Glad to see you finally coming around. Even if the Niners draft a receiver in the first this year, Deebo will see an uptick in targets. If they miss out on Jeudy or CeeDee or pass on receiver in the first, Deebo's ceiling next year is sky high.

it's not me coming around, it's the facts that change the situation. My fantasy view is always based on what the facts are vs what they could be 😂

The fact is the Niners did not upgrade their WR room, Travis Benjamin is not on the same level of a Sanders and if  Pettis is on the trading block as reported that  again reduces the available talent in the wr room and tells you that Shanny does not value him as an important piece of the offense.  I also look at these  wr moves  with keeping mckinnon as them not opening up the passing game even more but strengthining their already dominant interior game with the rb's and the TE.

The question still remains for me  will Deebo now get the needed air yards on deeper routes to improve his fantasy production because I just dont see JimyG peppering Benjamin with many targets.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, dashoe said:

it's not me coming around, it's the facts that change the situation. My fantasy view is always based on what the facts are vs what they could be 😂

The fact is the Niners did not upgrade their WR room, Travis Benjamin is not on the same level of a Sanders and if  Pettis is on the trading block as reported that  again reduces the available talent in the wr room and tells you that Shanny does not value him as an important piece of the offense.  I also look at these  wr moves  with keeping mckinnon as them not opening up the passing game even more but strengthining their already dominant interior game with the rb's and the TE.

The question still remains for me  will Deebo now get the needed air yards on deeper routes to improve his fantasy production because I just dont see JimyG peppering Benjamin with many targets.

Yes, the facts have made you come around to my prediction that Emmanuel Sanders would not be retained and that your assumption that the likelihood of of their ancillary receivers being a significant hinderance to Deebo's value was not a strong bet. I said all along that if the Niners receiver group was better going into next season, I would reassess my evaluation of Deebo. The only way I see that happening now is if they end up with Jeudy or Lamb, but even then it's not a given that they will be better than Sanders was last season. Like you said, the arrow is pointing up for Deebo, which I predicted it would be. Of course, the niners will be a run heavy team, I never suggested otherwise; that doesn't mean Deebo won't have the opportunity to improve on his numbers from last season. They can remain a run heavy team while still increasing their pass attempts, particularly if their defense regresses at all (that seems likely with the loss of Buckner). It seems like we agree more than we did previously but apparently we don't.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Yes, the facts have made you come around to my prediction that Emmanuel Sanders would not be retained and that your assumption that the likelihood of of their ancillary receivers being a significant hinderance to Deebo's value was not a strong bet. I said all along that if the Niners receiver group was better going into next season, I would reassess my evaluation of Deebo. The only way I see that happening now is if they end up with Jeudy or Lamb, but even then it's not a given that they will be better than Sanders was last season. Like you said, the arrow is pointing up for Deebo, which I predicted it would be. Of course, the niners will be a run heavy team, I never suggested otherwise; that doesn't mean Deebo won't have the opportunity to improve on his numbers from last season. They can remain a run heavy team while still increasing their pass attempts, particularly if their defense regresses at all (that seems likely with the loss of Buckner). It seems like we agree more than we did previously but apparently we don't.

I think we are in agreement on understanding how the new data could affect the team and individual players direction

• Like 1

This is a sad day for @paulwall29

• Thanks 1

Man this sucks, foot injuries for WRs are always scary. I think this hurts the 49ers value as an offense overall.

Well, if there was any debate between DK or Deebo, I think the answer is clear now.  I don't care if he has 3 months to recover.  Foot trouble for a receiver is obviously never good.  I'm out.

Welp...see yall in 2021-22

Buy low now if u can in dynasties and hope hes 100% by then..

Yeah completely agree. He’s officially DND this year, which sucks because he was so fun to watch. Can’t mess with those foot injuries in a WR group this deep

5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Welp...see yall in 2021-22

Buy low now if u can in dynasties and hope hes 100% by then..

I don't think anyone is selling him in dynasty. You don't sell young quality talent for pennies on the dollar because of an injury. You would only sell low on a guy if you were in a win now window and were relying on him. I don't think anyone's championship hopes were resting on Deebo.

Man, what a total bummer. Really like the kid and had high hopes for him this season. Hope he heals up gets back to 100% but have my doubts as far as 2020 goes. 

Brandon Aiyuk has entered the chat

Aiyuk will be the lead dog for SF in the WR pass game this year 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

What kinda discount we gettin? I think I want to buy

I’ve been seeing him go in the 8th-9th round. Seems about right