ZappB

Deebo Samuel 2020 Outlook

49ers' Deebo Samuel: Dealing with illness

Samuel didn't practice Thursday due to an illness, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.

After spending more than three months in recovery mode following June surgery to address a Jones fracture in his left foot, Samuel made his season debut this past Sunday in Miami. He played 34 percent of the snaps on offense en route to three catches (on three targets) for 35 yards and one carry for 10 yards. On a positive note, Samuel didn't appear on Wednesday's injury report, indicating the foot issue is behind him. That said, he's come down with an illness of unknown severity, placing a cloud over his Week 5 availability.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Samuel didn't practice Thursday due to an illness, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.

After spending more than three months in recovery mode following June surgery to address a Jones fracture in his left foot, Samuel made his season debut this past Sunday in Miami. He played 34 percent of the snaps on offense en route to three catches (on three targets) for 35 yards and one carry for 10 yards. On a positive note, Samuel didn't appear on Wednesday's injury report, indicating the foot issue is behind him. That said, he's come down with an illness of unknown severity, placing a cloud over his Week 5 availability.

I did read it was not COVID related thankfully https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/08/deebo-samuel-out-of-practice-with-illness/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Any reports/indications that Deebo's snap-count rises? Would imagine it increases significantly -- that along with Garoppolo's return should see Deebo have a decent game.

2 hours ago, Spina said:

Any reports/indications that Deebo's snap-count rises? Would imagine it increases significantly -- that along with Garoppolo's return should see Deebo have a decent game.

Shanny said he would be “eased back” & “wouldn’t see his normal amount of snaps” so that % didn’t surprise or alarm me. I believe he sees more action this week building up to his normal snap count, which will probably come next week. 

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on projections for this week. Really having a hard time starting him yet....

He doesn't have COVID, but the fact that he's been banned from the facility Thurs/Friday pending two negative tests has me worried about his usage this week. 

1 hour ago, USWAY said:

He doesn't have COVID, but the fact that he's been banned from the facility Thurs/Friday pending two negative tests has me worried about his usage this week. 

What?

(9 mins ago) Samuel (illness) passed COVID-19 protocols and can return to the 49ers' facilities, indicating that he'll suit up Sunday versus the Dolphins, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.

Samuel had an illness, but it has been determined that he doesn't have COVID-19. As long as he's healthy at game time, Samuel should be back in the lineup for Week 5. He'll handle the No. 1 wideout duties in his second game back from a Jones fracture, and he'll look to build on the 45 yards he recorded on four touches against the Eagles last week.

3 hours ago, RingMyBell said:

What?

See the post above me. He's been restricted from being at the 49ers facilities due to being sick the last 3 days.

I don't think so. The talent is there, but the QB situation makes anyone on the SF offense not named Mostert or Kittle a fantasy black hole IMO. Deebo would be a locked in WR2 most weeks if most of his targets were accurate, alas, I don't see that changing in the short term. 

Mixed feelings. I feel like he's a decent buy-low, but wouldn't go berserk. He really hasn't had much of a chance to get going. Hurt, then eased in, then sick, and now his QBs suck. Garoppolo should get better. He seemed rushed back in Week 5 and wasn't right. High ankle sprains due effect accuracy. But if you're waiting more time just to get anything out of Samuel, what's that worth? And you hope he doesn't bang up the foot again...

That said San Fran isn't what there were in 2019. They'll have to throw more. Shanahan generally has been very WR friendly in the past (think Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, and most notably Pierre Garçon). So I kind of want to see what happens here.

I think Deebo should be a fine WR2/FLEX for the remainder of the season. He had 8 targets on Sunday and outside of Kittle has very little competition for receptions. He and Garoppolo will get settled and in a rhythm soon enough. 

• Like 2

I thinking he will be flex or WR3 worthy, 49ers defense is not as good this year, they will have to throw more.  [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Hold steady boys. Deebo is coming back from a serious injury and niners offense still in disarray...just need to be patient

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeffnsee said:

Hold steady boys. Deebo is coming back from a serious injury and niners offense still in disarray...just need to be patient

I hope this is true but I’m not sure with how shaky the QB play has been.  I actually had to drop him in one league this week due to a brutal bye week schedule.  Didn’t feel great about it and hope I can get him back but I’m not convinced he will be a reliable starter this year

49er fan here and I dropped him in a 10-team league. I wouldn't really be comfortable dropping him in a league bigger than 10 teams or a league that has more than 2 WR slots, but there is a lot going against him. I do think he can be serviceable, but, I think in a 10-team league you can find comparable, if not better, talent on the wire.

Between his own injury issue, the (thus far) terrible offensive line play and Jimmy looking rather atrocious with his own injury, it's going to be a bit of a battle moving forward. I'd hold in a 12+ league or 3 WR league, but smaller than that and I'd be comfortable moving on and just keeping an eye on him.

2 minutes ago, zert2 said:

10 teams league.

As a Niners fan, I hope he ends up balling, but I don't see this team doing much this year. Schedule doesn't help either.

10 teamers yes/maybe, but 12+ would be foolish. Dude has only been back 2 games, and 49ers will air it out a lot more this yr with that defense they have. He will only get better as the season goes. Some things u just have to be patient with if possible.

Edited by Tomei7

He was awesome with Jimmy G last year; Jimmy G isn't as bad as he looked last week. This offense will get back on track and Deebo will benefit. Both Jimmy and Deebo have to get healthy. Deebo will be trucking people on jet sweeps again before too long. Definite hold for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

He's baaack

He definitely looks 100% after tonight. No hesitation & runs as hard as ever

• Like 1

Exactly what I needed to see before I felt comfortable starting him.