Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 Vent & Rant Thread

2 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

If you have a good team in Roto, then it really doesn’t matter who is punting what. How would this work? Someone focuses on SB’s and passes multiple people? What about the points they lose in other cats because of it? I’ve been playing Roto for over 10 years and have never lost a league because someone decided to punt or go all out on a cat by the end of the season. It doesn’t work that way.

Apologies if I was unclear. The hypo was to illustrate that there is a relative lack of control in both H2H and Roto. You are correct that emphasizing one category would probably lead to a loss of points in another category. My point was that the focus on that specific category (by a leaguemate out of your control) could affect your team's ultimate standing depending on the way it was built. 

I've been playing for over 20 years and have lost in a variety of interesting ways that I can't even remember (and if I may be not so modest, won as well). Admittedly, I haven't played Roto in a long time now. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My opponent picked up .087 average Gregory Polanco to start the week, who has now turned into Dominican Ted Williams

There was a time (many a time actually) where I had good players who were actually playing baseball; and of the one's who were, were actually producing up to expectations, and in some cases - God forb

Are you talking about the athletes or the people that post on this Thread?  😜

39 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

This. It’s not luck when you pick the players or decide matchups, decide when to add and stop players.... sure luck plays a role as in players underperform or perform better than expected or get injured, but a good player knows how to lessen the impact of the bad results. Roto is 90% skill and 10% luck. H2H is 30% skill and 70% luck. Look at it this way, you can reasonably project how Trout will do in a season, you can’t predict how he’ll do in a random week.

:lol: at 90% skill for roto...  Doing research (all which is available to everyone in the league), is not a skill...  I might give you 5% skill on an educated guess, but that is pushing it...

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You just proved it is skill given it is based on research and not on luck.  😂

skill is not research though. Anyone can go to a site like Fangraphs and all the research is done already. For me I watch a lot of baseball to get to know the players. Is that a skill?

Edited by Low and Away
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

skill is not research though. Anyone can go to a site like Fangraphs and all the research is done already. For me I watch a lot of baseball to get to know the players. Is that a skill?

Skills is all these things and more.  So yes research if part of skill and certainly avoiding Fangraphs is a good skill in and of itself, haha. (Yes I am NOT a big fan of Fangraphs).  Skill is watching players in games.  Skill is assembling a balanced team to get you all the stats you need in each category.  Skills is focus on keeping on top of the daily grind and checking the free agent pool every day to see if some player is starting to take off.  Skill is studying your main revivals to see what their strengths and weaknesses are and seeing what categories you can catch them in and which you can't.  Skill is being able to have a Plan B and a Plan C mentally in place if Player A or B goes down with an injury.  Skill is your ability to get what you need in trades and to build up long term relationships with league members so they are more likely to trade with you in a way that benefits you both.

Yep there are many many skills.  And my take is I'd say roto is around 80 to 90% skill and I think h2h is maybe 50 to 60% skill.  Up to 65% maybe in some really deep leagues.

56 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You just proved it is skill given it is based on research and not on luck.  😂

Doing research is not a skill now...  Pre-internet, yes, but not now...

It is so funny to see people fight tooth-and-nail and swear up-and-down that there is skill in a game that you have zero control on...  I used to think that there was skill, but like I said above, once I realized that it was all luck and no skill, I enjoyed the fantasy games (and real games) much more...

8 hours ago, posty said:

Doing research is not a skill now...  Pre-internet, yes, but not now...

Lol.  Pre-internet research is a skill.  Internet research isn't a skill.  You realize that makes absolutely no sense at all.  Research is research no matter what era of history we are in.  Doesn't matter if electricity was discovered or not.  Or it there is a written alphabet or not.  Or there is an internet or not.  You do research no matter if you have to do it just by candlelight or with goggle or whatever.  Whether you go to your local library or if you use the Library of Alexandria. 

A dictionary definition of research:  "the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions."

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

Apologies if I was unclear. The hypo was to illustrate that there is a relative lack of control in both H2H and Roto. You are correct that emphasizing one category would probably lead to a loss of points in another category. My point was that the focus on that specific category (by a leaguemate out of your control) could affect your team's ultimate standing depending on the way it was built. 

I've been playing for over 20 years and have lost in a variety of interesting ways that I can't even remember (and if I may be not so modest, won as well). Admittedly, I haven't played Roto in a long time now. 

What made you stop playing Roto?

11 hours ago, posty said:

:lol: at 90% skill for roto...  Doing research (all which is available to everyone in the league), is not a skill...  I might give you 5% skill on an educated guess, but that is pushing it...

Doing research isn’t skill, but the following is:

1. Knowing which players to draft/bid for in auctions.

2. Knowing when to sell high/buy low.

3. Knowing who to pick up and drop.

4. Knowing who to start and bench.

Sure luck happens, but skill plays a far bigger role. 

9 hours ago, posty said:

It is so funny to see people fight tooth-and-nail and swear up-and-down that there is skill in a game that you have zero control on...  I used to think that there was skill, but like I said above, once I realized that it was all luck and no skill, I enjoyed the fantasy games (and real games) much more...

No offense, but it sounds like you’re just really bad at it and made up an excuse to justify!it. “Zero control”, “all luck”, “real games”. Sounds like you think fantasy isn’t a “real game”. I’d love to hear those fancy games where there’s no luck involved at all. Good fantasy players consistently win leagues and finish in the money. I guess they’re just really lucky huh?

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I play fantasy baseball for fun and HTH is infinitely more fun than roto, regardless of any skill or luck. Thus I will always play HTH 

To each his own, but I have more fun building a good team and competing all year then waiting for Sunday each week to see who is luckier, me or my opponent.

7 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

No offense, but it sounds like you’re just really bad at it and made up an excuse to justify!it. “Zero control”, “all luck”, “real games”. Sounds like you think fantasy isn’t a “real game”. I’d love to hear those fancy games where there’s no luck involved at all. Good fantasy players consistently win leagues and finish in the money. I guess they’re just really lucky huh?

I was very successful in my fantasy football league that I ran for 20 years, I won nine titles and second place only had three...

In baseball, I have won titles but not as frequently...  I was always near the top and made the playoffs about 80% of the time...

It is still all luck...  You can't control any of the numbers...

Edited by posty
4 hours ago, posty said:

I was very successful in my fantasy football league that I ran for 20 years, I won nine titles and second place only had three...

In baseball, I have won titles but not as frequently...  I was always near the top and made the playoffs about 80% of the time...

It is still all luck...  You can't control any of the numbers...

It’s not “all luck” and it’s silly to say that. By this logic GM’s and managers in real life are all just “lucky” so it doesn’t matter who a team hires right?

You control who plays on your team and that’s all you need. Sure you can’t know for a fact how a particular player will do, but with the right moves you will win more than you lose. Is it luck if you start Trout instead of Billy Hamilton and he does good? 

• Like 1

Ahh the old skill vs luck question... 

Please see my thread on skill vs luck. I made it about 3 years ago.  general agreement is about 60% -70%  of Roto is skill and the rest is luck.  This being a very short season, it's more like 50 or 60 percent luck.

For example, in one of my leagues, I drafted Lindor with my first pick in round one.  My reasoning or so I thought was sound.  here is a consistent performer, now facing an unevened schedule and seeing a lot of Tigers Royals and White Sox.  All 3 teams had poor pitching last year.  In another league, Lindor went earlier so I grabbed Jose Ramirez for similar reasons.  

I am losing one league bad and 2nd in the other league.  All skill you say?  unless you found some evidence Lindor would disappoint I'd say no.

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Please see my thread on skill vs luck. I made it about 3 years ago.  general agreement is about 60% -70%  of Roto is skill and the rest is luck.  This being a very short season, it's more like 50 or 60 percent luck.

For example, in one of my leagues, I drafted Lindor with my first pick in round one.  My reasoning or so I thought was sound.  here is a consistent performer, now facing an unevened schedule and seeing a lot of Tigers Royals and White Sox.  All 3 teams had poor pitching last year.  In another league, Lindor went earlier so I grabbed Jose Ramirez for similar reasons.  

I am losing one league bad and 2nd in the other league.  All skill you say?  unless you found some evidence Lindor would disappoint I'd say no.

Just bad luck...  Or maybe it is bad skill?

It is all luck unless one is actually performing for them...

8 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

In a shortened season you can’t expect every player to perform the way they would in a 162 game season. If you take any player and look at how they do over the course of any 2 months, their results will vary. Lindor was also batting third, last time they tried that he struggled. It’s not a surprise he started playing better once he started batting lead off again. 

You should’ve traded him once they were batting him third and he started struggling.  

Also I didn’t say it’s all skill just 80-90%. Last year I lost a league because multiple key players got injured. This year however I’m winning 2 leagues and am third in another.

Before the season started I was telling people here that Bieber was a top 5 SP, that Bellinger was gonna be a bust at his price, that Paddack was gonna bust....so I saw some things coming. 

6 hours ago, posty said:

Just bad luck...  Or maybe it is bad skill?

It is all luck unless one is actually performing for them...

Luck comes into play when players perform differently than expected or get injured. However both things can be lessened by correctly evaluating players, not targeting injury-prone players and not investing too much into only a few players. You also have to know when to sell high and buy low. It’s not fool proof and you won’t win every league, but you will finish in the money most of the time. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
Removed vituperation.