FantasyGuru24

Kenyan Drake 2020 Outlook

Grab him where you can in dynasty and keeper leagues. He is going to be the vocal point next year, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him finish in the Top 12 for rbs.

3 hours ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Assuming he resigns with AZ, what do we think his potential is for next season?

RB1

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Assuming he resigns with AZ, what do we think his potential is for next season?

He would be a RB1.

Probably top 5 RB in PPR, he had 28 catches in 8 games with AZ after a mid season trade. That's over 3 catches per game. If he goes into the season as the starter and plays 16 games he will have over 50 receptions. 

He rushed for 5.2 ypc (wow) during his time with AZ. That was on 123 rushes. If he goes into the season as the starter, familiarity with the offense, staying healthy for 16 games I'd even bump the ypc up some but for a baseline let's take 5.2ypc times 250 rushes over 16 games that equals 1,300 yards.

He avg 6 yards per receptions but I honestly think he can do better than that with a full off season with the Cardinals but we can use 6 yards per receptions times 50 receptions so 300 receiving yards.  He had 8 TDs in 8 games last season so that would put his TD total somewhere near 16 rushing TDs. 

Drake getting familiar with the offense and a full offseason I imagine he will get some receiving TDs.

1,600 all purpose yards with anywhere from 12-18 total TDs. 10 rushing 4 receiving something like that.

Pretty sure that's a top 5 RB.

• Like 3

Biggest question mark that could potentially impede on Drake being a top 5 rb, is going to come from Chase. He killed it, while he was healthy. I expect Arizona to utilize both backs and then there is David Johnson, so the next couple of months will really paint the picture. 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:42 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Biggest question mark that could potentially impede on Drake being a top 5 rb, is going to come from Chase. He killed it, while he was healthy. I expect Arizona to utilize both backs and then there is David Johnson, so the next couple of months will really paint the picture. 

Bingo! For Drake to have RB1 potential, DJ will have to go elsewhere and Arizona will have to make some sort of commitment to Drake as the unquestioned starter. He has the talent, he just needs to opportunity. 

2 hours ago, The G Man said:

Bingo! For Drake to have RB1 potential, DJ will have to go elsewhere and Arizona will have to make some sort of commitment to Drake as the unquestioned starter. He has the talent, he just needs to opportunity. 

DJ didn't seem to affect Drake much last season after the trade.

Are you thinking DJ returns to his 2016 form and steals snaps from Drake? Kingsbury seemed committee to Drake late last season when the offense was rolling. 

At this point in their careers I don't see what DJ does better than Drake. Do you give DJ touches over Drake because he has a high salary? Or do you use DJ to spell Drake when he is tired?

The best scenario I heard was to package DJ and a draft pick for best deal you can get, franchise Drake and move on. 

2 hours ago, The G Man said:

DJ isn’t going anywhere, as previously established.  And Keim has essentially already voiced a commitment to Drake as the starter: when asked about DJ’s role in 2020, he referred to plus matchups in the passing game as well as kick returns.

21 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

DJ didn't seem to affect Drake much last season after the trade.

Are you thinking DJ returns to his 2016 form and steals snaps from Drake? Kingsbury seemed committee to Drake late last season when the offense was rolling. 

At this point in their careers I don't see what DJ does better than Drake. Do you give DJ touches over Drake because he has a high salary? Or do you use DJ to spell Drake when he is tired?

The best scenario I heard was to package DJ and a draft pick for best deal you can get, franchise Drake and move on. 

I could be wrong since I didnt own any DJ in any league last year but I thought he was battling some significant injuries in the 2nd half of last season?

I dont think anyone serious about fantasy doubts drake's talent but he has a penchant for getting knicked up. He plays thru the injuries and still produces just not at the same monster levels he does when he is healthy. I'd love to take a stab at him in 2020 

Franchise Kenyon Drake.... Never thought I would hear the franchise bomb and the name Kenyon Drake together. What a sad organization...

11 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I could be wrong since I didnt own any DJ in any league last year but I thought he was battling some significant injuries in the 2nd half of last season?

I dont think anyone serious about fantasy doubts drake's talent but he has a penchant for getting knicked up. He plays thru the injuries and still produces just not at the same monster levels he does when he is healthy. I'd love to take a stab at him in 2020 

I was a DJ 100% stock holder. And until today, I still don’t even know what the hell is going on there. 

He was a bellcow. Then suddenly Chase got involved. Then they got Drake. And suddenly conflicting reports of DJ not healthy. Hell, there was a game where I started him in very important matchup and he played a few snaps or something and left. 

Who knows what the hell is going there. But I’m staying away from DJ. 

/end derailing of thread. 

Drake was electric during the last few games. And I am sure won a few people their playoffs games and Ship. QB will improve for sure. That could only mean better things for Drake. Coach is still an idiot, but apparently a McVay clone. So there is that. 

Lets see how the contract situation is looking. Could see myself reaching for Drake. A bellcow back is rare. Very rare. And worthy for reaching. 

On 2/17/2020 at 9:27 PM, ginocan said:

I was a DJ 100% stock holder. And until today, I still don’t even know what the hell is going on there. 

He was a bellcow. Then suddenly Chase got involved. Then they got Drake. And suddenly conflicting reports of DJ not healthy. Hell, there was a game where I started him in very important matchup and he played a few snaps or something and left. 

Who knows what the hell is going there. But I’m staying away from DJ. 

/end derailing of thread. 

Drake was electric during the last few games. And I am sure won a few people their playoffs games and Ship. QB will improve for sure. That could only mean better things for Drake. Coach is still an idiot, but apparently a McVay clone. So there is that. 

Lets see how the contract situation is looking. Could see myself reaching for Drake. A bellcow back is rare. Very rare. And worthy for reaching. 

unfortunately DJ is basically untradeable and uncutable.  Chase is on a rookie deal and flashed last season.    Drake is UFA-  maybe back or maybe not.   He’s a good rb,  but all 3 are products of the offense they play in.  
 Wouldn’t surprise me to see any lead in carries next season.  

This is a backfield to avoid IMO.   

This backfield will be a committee backfield if all 3 rb's return and are healthy. it's that simple.  I don't think being the "starter" will mean much given how fast they play and the schemes they run. The cards were one of the top teams in yards per carry, rushing yards per game and rushing td's per game. Basically all rb's 3 can run, block and catch so it wouldnt be the traditional early down vs passing down roles that other teams have. Any one of these rbs can produce in the offense, which for me means avoid them because coaches can get too clever with rotations and hot hand the old we planned on getting player x involved more but player y was doing well this game. Similar to figuring out which SF rb is the one to play in any given week. Good luck😂

DJ contract makes him almost bench proof and untradeable unless another team really wants him and the Cards eat most of the guarantee. Chase is cheap on a rookie deal.  Drake in a vacuum should not be expensive to retain if he wants to stay in AZ but i think another team is going to practice gamesmanship and force AZ to pay up for him, he has talent but he is not an every down workhorse so he won't get a huge contract but it could be just enough on the guaranteed portion to make AZ rethink signing him.  Also I wouldnt be surprised if the cards sign another rb who can also play special teams because of the potential wear and tear on the position(which is the reason why they traded for Drake midseason)

I expect it to be a week to week frustration festival in terms of utilization and touch distribution. 

Edited by dashoe

If fears of a full-blown RBBC end up driving Drake’s ADP down even somewhat, and they retain him on a long-term extension or tag, I’m all in on him.  He legitimately has top-5 potential in PPR.

Who are we handcuffing Drake with? DJ or Chase (if they are all back with the team)

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

If fears of a full-blown RBBC end up driving Drake’s ADP down even somewhat, and they retain him on a long-term extension or tag, I’m all in on him.  He legitimately has top-5 potential in PPR.

Didnt all of them have a top  5 ppr finish in any given week they were the primary back? 😉

Edited by dashoe

2 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Who are we handcuffing Drake with? DJ or Chase (if they are all back with the team)

Take the cheapest one available in the draft, it's a long season but early season you take the guy who they literally can't afford by contract to sit which would be DJ and Drake. Chase will more than likely be almost free.

Cards GM believes in the hot hand rb approach and he has publicly stated so in numerous interviews. Same dude that signed DJ to his big contract. 

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Didnt all of them have a top  5 ppr finish in any given week they were the primary back? 😉

They were all great to varying degrees as the primary - but Drake was the best.  If they commit serious coin to him, barring injury, I expect that is due to the fact that they no longer feel hemmed in to a “hot hand” approach.

• Like 1

AZ already spent all their coins on a broken down David Johnson.  I suspect we will see Drake on a different team.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

AZ already spent all their coins on a broken down David Johnson.  I suspect we will see Drake on a different team.

They can tag him if they want to and have plenty of cap space to sign him.

17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They can tag him if they want to and have plenty of cap space to sign him.

If AZ tags Drake, I will believe they have big things in store for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BMcP said:

They were all great to varying degrees as the primary - but Drake was the best.  If they commit serious coin to him, barring injury, I expect that is due to the fact that they no longer feel hemmed in to a “hot hand” approach.

it’s a theory.   I think what you saw last season was an injured DJ and Drake with fresh legs.   He was used sparingly in Miami.  Hot hand approach pretty likely in 2020.    

we’ll have to see what Drake’s ADP is though... As my third back hes intriguing.     

Edited by Impreza178

We will have to see how it goes.

I don't see how you franchise tag Drake and pay him over 12 million for a year and play him sparingly.

Different people different opinions, all are possibilities but I do not put stock in saying Drake had fresh legs at the end of the season and that's why he did so well. He did the same stuff in Miami and people made excuses as to why he did so good, fresh legs against tired defenses blah blah blah. All Drake has done when given a good opportunity is impress. I don't think you franchise tag and pay Drake if you intend on a 50/50 timeshare with DJ. Cardinals trading for Drake was a site fire sign that even when healthy DJ isn't their answer at RB. 

I'll stick to my guns here. If Drake is tagged or re-signed then DJ will be the backup RB to Drake. I still think it's a good idea to package DJ and a draft pick to try and upgrade a different position.

If they go into the season with Drake, DJ and Edmonds then I think the depth chart is:

1. Drake

2. DJ

3. Edmonds

DJ from 2016 is gone, unfortunately. 

What does everyone think DJ does better than Drake right now? I think it is nothing, they have similar skill sets, they can both run, pass and block good but DJs effectiveness has fallen off a cliff. If you are expecting DJ to get healthy and return to 2016 form then I think you will be let down. The cards coaches, gm, and everyone else didn't go get Drake and potentially franchise tag him if all you think DJ needs is to get healthy.

• Like 1

Chase Edmonds showed us all what he is, a serviceable back-up who can produce in spot duty, but is no bell-cow. Through the first 4 weeks he saw 14 touches total. Week 5 he saw 11 touches; week 6 = 7 touches; week 8 = 29 touches and week 9 he saw 9 touches prior to injury. He saw no other touches until week 14 where he saw his 1 and final touch of the season. That's only 70 total touches prior to injury, with only 1 more touch over the remaining 8 weeks.

When David Johnson returned to the field week 13 he proceeded to see:

13) 6 touches to Drake's 15

14) 5 to Drake's 14

15) 3 to Drake's 23

16) 3 to Drake's 27

17) 0 to Drake's 16

If Az Tags Drake it will signify this is Drake's backfield...snooze, you lose.

• Like 2