FantasyGuru24

Kenyan Drake 2020 Outlook

People actually expect Drake to get the tag from Zona??  Nobody is paying him 12 mil.  He will be lucky to get a Mark Ingram 3 year 15 mil contract.

46 minutes ago, youngrice said:

People actually expect Drake to get the tag from Zona??  Nobody is paying him 12 mil.  He will be lucky to get a Mark Ingram 3 year 15 mil contract.

Meaning AZ gets two first-rounders if they elect not to match?  Sure, why not?  They can afford him for a year on a tag.

Edited by BMcP

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

exactly.   I expect the cards to try to nab him for 5-6M/yearly.   It may be enough in the depressed rb market of 2020.  If that’s not good enough Drake can walk.   

No one is paying him $12+M on a franchise tag. 

32 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

exactly.   I expect the cards to try to nab him for 5-6M/yearly.   It may be enough in the depressed rb market of 2020.  If that’s not good enough Drake can walk.   

It’s been reported that the Cards are set on keeping him one way or the other.  They seem prepared to pay him on the tag.

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Exactly. The Cards have their rb money locked up in DJ, they are not going to put much more cap into another rb, it doesnt make sense.  The running game is not the critical piece of their path to win next season.  The more likely option is Drake is going to the highest bidder who gives him the most guaranteed money.. The  rb FA market is not deep but it is also not hyper competitive. Kareem hunt depending on the Browns moves will be the most talented rb available.

Drake will probably get a deal similar to Duke, coleman or Dion all were decent rb's who did not have alot of wear and tear but were also not workhorse or featured rb's.  I doubt if he even comes close to a Mckinnon deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Exactly. The Cards have their rb money locked up in DJ, they are not going to put much more cap into another rb, it doesnt make sense.  The running game is not the critical piece of their path to win next season.  The more likely option is Drake is going to the highest bidder who gives him the most guaranteed money.. The  rb FA market is not deep but it is also not hyper competitive. Kareem hunt depending on the Browns moves will be the most talented rb available.

Drake will probably get a deal similar to Duke, coleman or Dion all were decent rb's who did not have alot of wear and tear but were also not workhorse or featured rb's.  I doubt if he even comes close to a Mckinnon deal.

I think AZ would match such a deal, if it came to it.  If some team out there wanted to pay him much more than that guaranteed for years to come, they’d be delighted to have the picks.  I think the first move is a tag here.

13 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It’s been reported that the Cards are set on keeping him one way or the other.  They seem prepared to pay him on the tag.

You don't tag a rb who has never been the feature rb for a full season. The GM was talking nonsense about tagging him, he probably siad it to let Drake know publicly how much he valued him and wants him to stay but it simply doent make sense on the balance sheet to pay him an estimated  $10-12mm

Edited by dashoe

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I think AZ would match such a deal, if it came to it.  If some team out there wanted to pay him much more than that guaranteed for years to come, they’d be delighted to have the picks.  I think the first move is a tag here.

Why would AZ  tag a rb  with 10-12mm?  That's workhorse rb money that guys like Melvin, Bell, etc were getting. Drake doesnt have the track record for that type of money. 

You are going to have a $20-25mm backfield of  Drake+DJ? 

Thats GM won't keep his job if he tags Drake and is stuck with the tag 😂

I think AZ is going to wine and dine him and say we really really want to keep you here but focus on we are building  a great team and give us a team friendly deal, offer him $5mm a year and cross their fingers.

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Why would AZ  tag a rb  with 10-12mm?  That's workhorse rb money that guys like Melvin, Bell, etc were getting. Drake doesnt have the track record for that type of money. 

You are going to have a $20-25mm backfield of  Drake+DJ? 

Thats GM won't keep his job if he tags Drake and is stuck with the tag 😂

I think AZ is going to wine and dine him and say we really really want to keep you here but focus on we are building  a great team and give us a team friendly deal, offer him $5mm a year and cross their fingers.

Ok.  I suppose you and I disagree.  I’ve already set forth my reasons: 1) they have the cap space and funds to do it; and 2) they only stand to gain two first-rounders if they let him walk.  To that I would add that Drake probably affords more value to the Cards than to any other team: he fits perfectly with the offensive scheme, he understands that scheme, and he has a good rapport with his coaches and teammates.

All that said, I think AZ finds a way to extend him long-term in short order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Ok.  I suppose you and I disagree.  I’ve already set forth my reasons: 1) they have the cap space and funds to do it; and

2) they only stand to gain two first-rounders if they let him walk.  

To that I would add that Drake probably affords more value to the Cards than to any other team: he fits perfectly with the offensive scheme, he understands that scheme, and he has a good rapport with his coaches and teammates.

All that said, I think AZ finds a way to extend him long-term in short order.

We definitely disagree because i focus on the valuations of rb's  vs salary cap economics and teams simply do not value rb's unless they are consistent elite performers. Drake does not have 2-4yrs of consistent elite performance.

Having the cap space and funds to pay another rb 10-12mm only works if you believe that rb is a critical piece of your offense. Drake is not a critical piece of the offense. The comp for the tag only comes after you commit to the tag and another team bails you out of the tag. The point of the tag is to make it PROHIBITIVE for another team to acquire the player. So I get your view but it is one that is highly improbable and is a very uncommon one.

AZ needs Drake to agree to resign before he does his FA tour but tagging him and thinking that another teams pays the tag would be a foolish strategy.   

Melvin Gordon will be lucky if he gets 10mm yr as a FA after his holdout last season

You can probably get Kareem Hunt from the browns with a 1st round pick and OBJ for another 1st rd pick 😂

The entire AZ roster needs to be rebuilt on the offensive and defensive side of the ball particularly the lines.  Having over 20mm committed to 2 rb's which is about 10% of the cap s simply irresponsible, when they have so many holes to fill with that money. 

I start from the premise that a rb who has never been a feature  rb is not worth a 10-12mm tag to begin with when the team needs help across the board. Drake is not an elite rb, his body of work is not elite so expecting AZ to tag him just doesnt make any sense on any level of position valuation. I also don't think any team pays that amount in FA for a rb who does not have much of a track record. 

Edited by dashoe

K.  We will figure out who was right shortly - I’m not concerned one way or the other.

💤 well!

57 minutes ago, dashoe said:

We definitely disagree because i focus on the valuations of rb's  vs salary cap economics and teams simply do not value rb's unless they are consistent elite performers. Drake does not have 2-4yrs of consistent elite performance.

Having the cap space and funds to pay another rb 10-12mm only works if you believe that rb is a critical piece of your offense. Drake is not a critical piece of the offense. The comp for the tag only comes after you commit to the tag and another team bails you out of the tag. The point of the tag is to make it PROHIBITIVE for another team to acquire the player. So I get your view but it is one that is highly improbable and is a very uncommon one.

AZ needs Drake to agree to resign before he does his FA tour but tagging him and thinking that another teams pays the tag would be a foolish strategy.   

Melvin Gordon will be lucky if he gets 10mm yr as a FA after his holdout last season

You can probably get Kareem Hunt from the browns with a 1st round pick and OBJ for another 1st rd pick 😂

The entire AZ roster needs to be rebuilt on the offensive and defensive side of the ball particularly the lines.  Having over 20mm committed to 2 rb's which is about 10% of the cap s simply irresponsible, when they have so many holes to fill with that money. 

I start from the premise that a rb who has never been a feature  rb is not worth a 10-12mm tag to begin with when the team needs help across the board. Drake is not an elite rb, his body of work is not elite so expecting AZ to tag him just doesnt make any sense on any level of position valuation. I also don't think any team pays that amount in FA for a rb who does not have much of a track record. 

I would just add that I disagree that the point of a franchise tag is to prohibit another team from poaching your player.  What the tag does is provide protection to the tagging team in case another team offers the player a deal - you can either let him walk and collect multiple first-round picks, or you can just match the offer.  It’s meant to give the tagging team license to do what it cares to do rather than prevent other teams from acquiring that player.

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

Meaning AZ gets two first-rounders if they elect not to match?  Sure, why not?  They can afford him for a year on a tag.

But why would he sign with another team if he gets tagged.  A guy in Drakes position would gladly sign a tag at top 5 for his position. Zona tying up 25 plus mil at RB would be ridiculous.

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

But why would he sign with another team if he gets tagged.  A guy in Drakes position would gladly sign a tag at top 5 for his position. Zona tying up 25 plus mil at RB would be ridiculous.

I’d certainly think he would gladly play under a tag.  Gives him a year to dispel any doubts about his being a true starter - and he makes more than just about anyone for a preceding year in an offense that should make him look amazing.

3 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Maybe - but what else are they spending that money on?  What amazing FAs are likely to actually seriously hit the market this year?

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Maybe - but what else are they spending that money on?  What amazing FAs are likely to actually seriously hit the market this year?

Honestly don't have the answer to that don't really care to do the research.  But I do know money would be much better spent on the oline and/or on the defensive side of the ball.  I mean we are not talking about a team that is a RB away from being competitive.  Then need to work on the roster as a whole. Not take up 25 plus mil at the RB position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Honestly don't have the answer to that don't really care to do the research.  But I do know money would be much better spent on the oline and/or on the defensive side of the ball.  I mean we are not talking about a team that is a RB away from being competitive.  Then need to work on the roster as a whole. Not take up 25 plus mil at the RB position.

Ok.  I should reiterate I’m merely relating what has already been reported regarding Keim’s intentions.  I obviously have no idea what will happen - but to circle back to my original point, if the team does retain Drake, I believe firmly it will involve enough money to lock him into the starting role.

Edited by BMcP

3 minutes ago, youngrice said:

They just spent a bunch of money on retaining Humphries at LT.  I expect more line reinforcements to follow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Ok.  I should reiterate I’m merely relating what has already been reported regarding Keim’s intentions.  I obviously have no idea what will happen - but to circle back to my original point, if the team does retain Drake, I believe firmly it will involve enough money to lock him into the starting role.

I think they will retain him.  He did a good job was just surprised by the franchise talk and honestly don't believe Zona would even consider that.  I just think we all try to overvalue RB's in real football due to their fantasy value for us fantasy geeks.  Giving a RB that has never even made a pro bowl the franchise tag would be ridiculous and set a bad precedent for their team. Hell so far zona has only used that tag 9 times in their history.  I could definitely be wrong but I just can't see them using it on him.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I would just add that I disagree that the point of a franchise tag is to prohibit another team from poaching your player.  What the tag does is provide protection to the tagging team in case another team offers the player a deal - you can either let him walk and collect multiple first-round picks, or you can just match the offer.  It’s meant to give the tagging team license to do what it cares to do rather than prevent other teams from acquiring that player.

I said a franchise tag is "prohibitive" as in prohibitively expensive not that it is designed to "prohibit" another team from signing a player.  The franchise tag by design is prohibitive. The franchise tag makes it prohibitive for a team to use it more than once on a player. it doesnt stop a team from using it but the costs makes each use prohibitively expensive.  The prohibitive nature of the franchise tags are why you don't see many teams  using a tag more than  1-2x and you dont see many teams signing players who are tagged by their teams. 

Drake is not a top 5 rb by any metric so it would be prohibitive for AZ to sign him to a franchise tag as well as another team to sign and relinquish draft picks.

The relevant point is that Drake is not worth a  franchise tag of $12mm which compensates him as a top 5 rb  and he is not worth a transition tag of $10mm which compensates him as a top 10 rb. NFL teams don't allocate over 10% of their cap to 2 players in the rb position, especially teams in a rebuild.

Drake doesnt have the body of work and he is not an essential player to support the cap room. He is a mid season transfer who came in and was hot for 6 games as the  other 2 rb's recovered from injuries.  

Now Keim has a history of making some spectacular blunders in his GM career so I wouldnt rule out him actually doing something as stupid as tagging Drake. AZ fans should get used to losing 🤣

27 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I said a franchise tag is "prohibitive" as in prohibitively expensive not that it is designed to "prohibit" another team from signing a player.  The franchise tag by design is prohibitive. The franchise tag makes it prohibitive for a team to use it more than once on a player. it doesnt stop a team from using it but the costs makes each use prohibitively expensive.  The prohibitive nature of the franchise tags are why you don't see many teams  using a tag more than  1-2x and you dont see many teams signing players who are tagged by their teams. 

Drake is not a top 5 rb by any metric so it would be prohibitive for AZ to sign him to a franchise tag as well as another team to sign and relinquish draft picks.

The relevant point is that Drake is not worth a  franchise tag of $12mm which compensates him as a top 5 rb  and he is not worth a transition tag of $10mm which compensates him as a top 10 rb. NFL teams don't allocate over 10% of their cap to 2 players in the rb position, especially teams in a rebuild.

Drake doesnt have the body of work and he is not an essential player to support the cap room. He is a mid season transfer who came in and was hot for 6 games as the  other 2 rb's recovered from injuries.  

Now Keim has a history of making some spectacular blunders in his GM career so I wouldnt rule out him actually doing something as stupid as tagging Drake. AZ fans should get used to losing 🤣

Not that I would ever wish to dive into the depths of a semantical debate with you, but “prohibitive” to me means “no team would pay it.”  We’ve seen all sorts of tagged players ending up on other teams, even recently with Clark, Clowney and Landry.  I’m just saying let’s not act like the tag is “prohibiting” other teams from acquiring those players.

This guy couldn’t beat out Kalen Ballage...Just a flash in the pan in Arizona

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

This guy couldn’t beat out Kalen Ballage...Just a flash in the pan in Arizona

Imagine getting beat out by a dude who averaged a 1.8 ypc last season. smh. Now he's suddenly a rb1? 

• Like 2