FantasyGuru24

Kenyan Drake 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s possible Az can structure a 3 year deal with a large part of the cap hit coming after the 2020 season.   

Still doesn’t address the elephant in the room-   He’s a decent rb and 10M is top 5 money.   I dont think he’s worth it.    

Different strokes for Different folks.

Drake had a stretch with Miami where he put up top 5 RB numbers when Gase was forced to start him when Damien Williams hurt his shoulder. 

After he was traded to AZ he had another stretch where he put up top 5 RB numbers and proved that he can be a 3 down back. I think he would fit best in AZ and hope he doesn't price himself so high they can't work out some sort of deal. 

After what he did in Kingsbury's offense after being traded to AZ you don't think he would be a top 5 RB if he played there all season? I certainly think it would be close, especially in PPR, guys like Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley, Leveon Bell, James Conner are all falling off.

CMC

Henry

Barkley

Zeke

Kamara/Drake?

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Different strokes for Different folks.

Drake had a stretch with Miami where he put up top 5 RB numbers when Gase was forced to start him when Damien Williams hurt his shoulder. 

After he was traded to AZ he had another stretch where he put up top 5 RB numbers and proved that he can be a 3 down back. I think he would fit best in AZ and hope he doesn't price himself so high they can't work out some sort of deal. 

After what he did in Kingsbury's offense after being traded to AZ you don't think he would be a top 5 RB if he played there all season? I certainly think it would be close, especially in PPR, guys like Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley, Leveon Bell, James Conner are all falling off.

CMC

Henry

Barkley

Zeke

Kamara/Drake?

It’s within the realm of possibilities that Drake finishes top 10 in Az.  Depends on how they handle the workload split.   He’s in the big pile of rb2s for me.  Mixon, Conner, Cook, Jacobs, Singletary, Mack, DWill are all potential top 10 guys too. 

Edited by Impreza178

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s within the realm of possibilities that Drake finishes top 10 in Az.  Depends on how they handle the workload split.   He’s in the big pile of rb2s for me.  Mixon, Conner, Cook, Jacobs, Singletary, Mack, DWill are all potential top 10 guys too. 

I think it is safe to say any rb they plug into the AZ backfield as a workhorse would finish as a top 10 rb; which is why it doesnt make sense for AZ to sign him to top 5 pay. 

I'm not sure why there seems to be a consensus view in this thread that DJ+Chase can't be a productive backfield if healthy. Also I don't understand why people don't think this will be a volatile rotation if all 3 rb's are healthy as if DJ and chase are just going to fall back into support roles and not compete every day.

My money if he stays in AZ is on the hot hand backfield and frustrated Drake owners 😂

I think Drake knows this is his last shot at a real money contract before he becomes an every season 1yr contract journeyman.   I think AZ gives him the best shot at having a "home" as the lead rb  in a system that is not an every down physical grind for a rb but I think another team will give him more guaranteed money and plug him in to be the defacto #1 from day 1 of camp and grind every $1 out of him. 

Drake spent his career sharing a backfield and made $3mm total before taxes and agent/mgrs fees. If lucky he has a solid 3yrs of strong production left before he becomes too old, too expensive and an afterthought to a flashy new rookie. People are fooling themselves if they think he is not signing to the highest bidder. 

That Redskins rumor is feeling more real every day and Dan Snyder is crazy enough to pay him something very close to his $8mm yr ask. 😂

On 2/26/2020 at 3:40 AM, dashoe said:

yes that  is what everyone in the thread is doing. But the process starts with determining  the most likely outcome of him staying or not.  The GM makes a public statement about a franchise tag and we fantasy players apply the stress test to that potential outcome.  My view is the GM is talking out of the side of his neck because a tag is the worst possible outcome for the team given personnel and salary cap  economics. Franchise tags are applied to elite or core players, not guys who played 6 games and never had a feature role in their career. it simply  does not happen.  Melvin Gordon and kareem hunt will be the top 2 rbs  to hit the market with a reumes of  every down players and maybe they get top 5 money, so how does Drake get that type of payday and he  has yet to play a full season as an every down rb?

The last tag and trade guy in recent memory was Landry to the Browns who had a solid body of work as an elite  pass catcher. 

The last midseason trade, tag and sign guy was. . .I don't know 😂

So Drake being resigned toby AZ to a Duke/Dion type deal is very probable. Drake being tagged or tagged and traded is highly improbable.

Well, the highly improbable has now officially occurred - the Cardinals just tagged Kenyan Drake.

43 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Well, the highly improbable has now officially occurred - the Cardinals just tagged Kenyan Drake.

Transition tagged.  Not franchised

• Like 1

Just now, youngrice said:

Transition tagged.  Not franchised

Yes - your point?

6 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Huge monetary difference

Less than $2M is “huge”?!

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

this is why

Personally I don't understand how the trade makes each team "better", it doesnt address their weaknesses. They both need to shore up their defenses and o-lines not exchange offensive skills players😂

9 minutes ago, dashoe said:

this is why

Talk about improbable - what in Sam Hill was BOB thinking?!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BMcP said:

BOB thinking

Do I have some unfortunate news for you...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Personally I don't understand how the trade makes each team "better", it doesnt address their weaknesses. They both need to shore up their defenses and o-lines not exchange offensive skills players😂

Adding Hopkins and being able to pay drake is a huge win for Az.    There’s still work to be done but this was a monster score for the cards and an embarrassment for Houston 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Adding Hopkins and being able to pay drake is a huge win for Az.    There’s still work to be done but this was a monster score for the cards and an embarrassment for Houston 

for fantasy purposes I agree, you want to own a piece of this offense you could have a legitimate  top 12 in each position QB1-rb1-wr1

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Less than $2M is “huge”?!

Transition tag doesn’t cost 2 firsts- which is the main detractor from trying to sign a franchise tagged player.  

drake is now basically a RFA...and Az can match offers 

Today’s developments certainly cement Drake as an RB1

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, the question is who has more value now given their new circumstances? DJ or Drake? 

Assuming Drake remains a Cardinal of course.

Edited by The G Man

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Transition tag doesn’t cost 2 firsts- which is the main detractor from trying to sign a franchise tagged player.  

I think AZ is making the calculated bet on the FA market not paying Drake more than 8mm this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

for fantasy purposes I agree, you want to own a piece of this offense you could have a legitimate  top 12 in each position QB1-rb1-wr1

It’s a great trade for Cards IRL too.  Now they can focus on drafting in the trenches  

Just now, dashoe said:

I think AZ is making the calculated bet on the FA market not paying Drake more than 8mm this season.

Agreed.  I think it was a smart move, as I don’t see any team ponying up $9M/year for Drake.

2 minutes ago, The G Man said:

So, the question is who has more value now given their new circumstances? DJ or Drake? 

A RB approaching 30 who hasn’t been able to stay on the field for years and hasn’t even attained 4 ypc in ages running behind a terrible line with no WR corps?

I’m going to have to go with Drake on this one.

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s a great trade for Cards IRL too.  Now they can focus on drafting in the trenches  

I can see that path to success but I personally don't think it's the best one given they are still in rebuild mode and you are going to see more vets let go as they bring in more younger guys. I think it's a waste for Dhops talent and a waste of caps space in 2021 because AZ is not in a win now scenario.  They are still a team with a 2nd yr QB and HC and it takes a couple of years to build a solid 0iline and defensive unit.  personally I like how the Colts have been quietly rebuilding with no major signings but they have been getting better as a football team going the slow grow route.

Steve Keim as a GM  in AZ to me focuses too much on the sizzle and not the steak. 

19 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Right.  I was just responding to the OP regarding whether the monetary difference between the franchise and transition tags was “huge.”