FantasyGuru24

Terry McLaurin 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

 

Trust me I'm not saying they are going to light the world on fire, but Derrius Guice only played 5 games and averaged 5.6 ypc when healthy. If his health cooperates at all (which admittedly is a big if) they will improve in the running game and as @BMcP pointed out Rivera/Turner love to run the ball. Also, you're right that they could move up in the ranks even with their rush attempts remaining fairly static but, as long as they don't regress (which there is little room for regression), it's unlikely that their passing attempts will increase significantly. If they spend significant draft capital on a WR or sign a solid FA WR, it will be difficult for McLaurin to see the necessary volume to make a 2nd year leap. He had everything work in his favor volume wise as a rookie, leading to a 19% target share and 93 targets as the focal point of the offense. If they add additional receiving talent and improve their running game and/or defense it will be difficult for him to improve on his rookie year target share. 

I hear both you guys.  And I agree the running game probably will improve.  I just don't think it's going to be enough for them to be able to control the clock in most games. 

And yeah...if they sign a high pick WR or solid FA, it would affect my outlook on Terry.   Depending a lot on what kind of WR it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things giving me hesitation drafting Mclaurin. Haskins. yup....thats it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Things giving me hesitation drafting Mclaurin. Haskins. yup....thats it.

I hear you in that Haskins looked pretty terrible at the outset, but two things: One, reuniting with his college QB should theoretically be a positive for McLaurin in the long run, as that rapport has already been long established.  And two, Haskins showed clear signs of improvement across the board as the season progressed and he became more comfortable within the scheme: his throws became more accurate, he displayed better decision-making and ball security, he began distributing the ball to more areas of the field, and he even added the threat of his taking off and running whenever the defense failed to account for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid is in for a HUGE year, don’t let the QB situation scare you. Clearly the undisputed alpha on the team. Top 20 finish is definitely attainable, maybe even Top 15. IF Haskins can flash some upside in his 2020 campaign. Buying everywhere I can.
SCARY TERRY !! 👻
 

Terry McLaurin: highest-graded rookie WR since 2014. - 86.5 PFF grade

- 76% success rate vs. man coverage (89th percentile) -

79.7% success rate vs. press (93rd percentile.

- Excellent across the route tree.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hype machine is still churning.  Haskins throwing to him this offseason: "This is the best I've seen Terry," he said.  Juice that ADP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

The kid is in for a HUGE year, don’t let the QB situation scare you. Clearly the undisputed alpha on the team. Top 20 finish is definitely attainable, maybe even Top 15. IF Haskins can flash some upside in his 2020 campaign. Buying everywhere I can.
SCARY TERRY !! 👻
 

Terry McLaurin: highest-graded rookie WR since 2014. - 86.5 PFF grade

- 76% success rate vs. man coverage (89th percentile) -

79.7% success rate vs. press (93rd percentile.

- Excellent across the route tree.

If Haskins can't be good, anyone else thinking Kyle Allen would be even better for Terry?

He isn't really that good, but he is capable of force feeding his lead WR with targets in the short to intermediate range like Moore last year.

Of course the ideal for McLaurin's fantasy production would be Haskins taking a leap, or just not being terrible, but not sure how good the odds of that are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

If Haskins can't be good, anyone else thinking Kyle Allen would be even better for Terry?

He isn't really that good, but he is capable of force feeding his lead WR with targets in the short to intermediate range like Moore last year.

Of course the ideal for McLaurin's fantasy production would be Haskins taking a leap, or just not being terrible, but not sure how good the odds of that are


Well I’m somewhat bullish on Haskins this season, more so than others. I mean it’s not like he was brought into a great situation last year. He was terrible don’t get me wrong, but he was a rookie. A rookie who showed some signs of life towards the end of 2019. And Ron Rivera is a definite upgrade over Jay Gruden. That shouldn’t be overlooked, regardless of who the QB is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RunCMC said:


Well I’m somewhat bullish on Haskins this season, more so than others. I mean it’s not like he was brought into a great situation last year. He was terrible don’t get me wrong, but he was a rookie. A rookie who showed some signs of life towards the end of 2019. And Ron Rivera is a definite upgrade over Jay Gruden. That shouldn’t be overlooked, regardless of who the QB is. 

Definitely don't think improvement is out of the question. And I do expect Ron Rivera to eventually right the ship for the Redskins. But Jay Gruden, while a sub par HC who rightfully got fired, actually has a pretty decent track record with QBs from his time in Cincinnati and isn't a bad offensive coach.

I think the bigger issue was that he never wanted Haskins. Read somewhere he either wanted Daniel Jones or BPA and Allen/Snyder overruled him. If so--knowing he was gonna get fired most likely anyways--I can see him not necessarily sabotaging Haskins but throwing him in knowing he would look bad and get proven right. 

Admittedly I was never a big fan of him as a prospect and thought the Redskins should have seriously considered Tua, so I tend to think Rivera's work will be making the Redskins D with its talents an elite unit in due time rather than the offensive side, but Haskins improving is certainly not out of the question. He was always considered a 2-3 year guy and in general I think most QBs should be given that time

Edited by mocha4313
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

 

I think the bigger issue was that he never wanted Haskins. Read somewhere he either wanted Daniel Jones or BPA and Allen/Snyder overruled him. If so--knowing he was gonna get fired most likely anyways--I can see him not necessarily sabotaging Haskins but throwing him in knowing he would look bad and get proven right. 

It was the opposite, he was refusing to start Haskins and Snyder overruled him.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/jay-gruden-redskins-qb-situation-dwayne-haskins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RunCMC said:

A rookie who showed some signs of life towards the end of 2019. 

His last 2 games looked pretty good, both on the field and in the stats. He seems to have recovered from his ankle injury, and it's a new season... Let's see what he makes of it.

As for Scary Terry, his numbers were better with Haskins, I think, especially those last 2 games. It might work out well for both of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

His last 2 games looked pretty good, both on the field and in the stats. He seems to have recovered from his ankle injury, and it's a new season... Let's see what he makes of it.

As for Scary Terry, his numbers were better with Haskins, I think, especially those last 2 games. It might work out well for both of them.

 

I'm all in on Scary Terry for 2020 believe me. Hop on this train friend

                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Haskins didn’t light up the stat sheet during his seven starts as a rookie in Washington. He threw for seven touchdowns and seven interceptions and averaged a measly 6.7 yards per attempt. However, that doesn’t tell the whole story of his rookie season. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Where Haskins performed well

By the end of the season, Haskins at least showed that he could conceptually handle what NFL defenses were throwing at him. Over his final two games, Haskins completed 31 of his 43 passing attempts for 394 yards, four touchdowns, and no interceptions.

According to Pro Football Reference, Haskins was “on target” on 74% of his throws while averaging 8.6 intended air yards per throw. Haskins’ sample size of 203 passing attempts is small, but both of those rates are above last season’s league average. Haskins was fairly accurate while not being afraid to take chances downfield — that’s a nice starting point for a rookie quarterback. 

Haskins’ performance didn’t always show up on the stat sheet. His receivers dropped 7.1% of his passes, including six drops in Washington’s loss against the Jets in Week 11. For reference, the Bills led the league in dropped passes, dropping 7.4% of all pass attempts. No other team was above 7%.

As the season went on, Haskins became more comfortable with the offense that Washington was running. When Haskins was lighting up defenses at Ohio State, he did so exclusively from shotgun formations. Taking in-game reps under center and handling traditional quarterback responsibilities and movements was going to be an adjustment for him; by the end of the season, he appeared to have found a rhythm.

Haskins’ last game was the first half of Washington’s Week 16 game against the Giants and he looked the part of a stud quarterback prospect. Haskins completed 12 of his 15 passes for 133 yards, two touchdowns and averaged 10.3 intended air yards per attempt. He unfortunately suffered an ankle injury, ending his season.

15 attempts is a tiny sample, but it was a legitimate flash of high tier quarterback play. Whether he’s able to sustain that performance remains to be seen — and it won’t be an easy task. 

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Whether he’s able to sustain that performance remains to be seen — and it won’t be an easy task. 

This of course is the crux, and unfortunately it doesn't look like Washington helped him by really strengthening the O-line (they drafted a 4th round Tackle and a 5th round Center but both appear somewhat questionable). 

Some teams never learn.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

This of course is the crux, and unfortunately it doesn't look like Washington helped him by really strengthening the O-line (they drafted a 4th round Tackle and a 5th round Center but both appear somewhat questionable). 

Some teams never learn.

 

Yup, they basically went all in on Defense. And Haskins isn't the most mobile quarterback 

That round 3 selection of Gibson is questionable at best. I mean I get it , insurance for oft injured Derrius Guice & the ghost of Adrian Peterson . But definitely could've done better

ROUND OVERALL PLAYER SELECTED GRADE
1  2  EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State A 
3  66  RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis C 
4  108  OT Saahdiq Charles, LSU C+
4  142^ WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty  A 
5 156* OL Keith Ismael, San Diego State C
5  162* LB Khaleke Hudson, Michigan C-
7  216  S Kamren Curl, Arkansas  C-
7  229* DE James Smith-Williams, NC State  C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the talent but Haskins wasn’t just bad last season. He was straight up horrendous. Most of his starts he had between 130-150 passing yards. That doesn’t bode well for the WRs.

Obviously improvement is expected and he was viewed as somewhat raw but it’s still scary to take that chance. In his ADP range there’s guys like Parker, Green, Chark, and Samuel. I’d be more comfortable with all of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I like the talent but Haskins wasn’t just bad last season. He was straight up horrendous. Most of his starts he had between 130-150 passing yards. That doesn’t bode well for the WRs.

Obviously improvement is expected and he was viewed as somewhat raw but it’s still scary to take that chance. In his ADP range there’s guys like Parker, Green, Chark, and Samuel. I’d be more comfortable with all of them. 

Samuel over Mclaurin ? I own both in dynasty and am baffled by this statement, mclaurin is a stud. Haskins was improving, he's gonna be targeted ALOT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy will finish top 25, so low end 2/ high end 3.  He landed 28th in my leagues and misses 2 games with awful QB play.  Haskins has to be better!

RB/RB/Golladay/Ridley/ RB/ Scary Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 10:33 AM, FantasyGuru24 said:

Would love to pair Mclaurin with someone like Tyreek as my WR2

That would make me super nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

RB/RB/Golladay/Ridley/ RB/ Scary Terry

In a 10 team league, maybe. Golladay is going around 24, McLaurin around 62. It seems a bit optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, K197040 said:

That would make me super nervous.

 

Well given that Terry is probably going in round 5, having Hill and Terry as WR1 and WR2 probably means that you have 3 strong RBs. I would be okay with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floor is 65/1000/6

I could see 80/1200/8 

 

The latter is 2019 Amari Cooper territory.

 

Or what I would call 15-20 range when you put the injured studs back up there. Guys like Adams, Hill, Evans, and Thelien significantly higher.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Evincar said:

 

Well given that Terry is probably going in round 5, having Hill and Terry as WR1 and WR2 probably means that you have 3 strong RBs. I would be okay with that.

Maybe.  But Hill's ADP is 8.  And consensus ranking put him there as well   According to the rankings, Jones would be the best RB available in the 2nd.   Without playing too many what ifs, I don't think you can end up with 3 strong RBs inbetween Hill and Terry. 

 

Edited by K197040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone think that Sims will take target's from him. Sims really did good in the last few games. Sure one game was was Keenum,  cause Haskins was god awful in the game but still.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Anyone think that Sims will take target's from him. Sims really did good in the last few games. Sure one game was was Keenum,  cause Haskins was god awful in the game but still.  

 

No chance of that happening , collectively the Redskins pass catchers equal out to a grade of D+ , at best.  Terry is by far their best offensive weapon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm if the other team covers Terry with their best guy, what then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.