Sign in to follow this  
FantasyGuru24

Darrell Henderson 2020 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Definitely possible, but what is strange is that many of us thought Henderson had already "emerged."  Henderson has been outplaying Brown the last couple games, and greatly out-touched him last week.  

Maybe we chalk up his ~20 carries last week to the Rams simply riding the hot hand, but the Rams didn't even give Henderson an opportunity to get going today.  That's just surprising given how well Henderson has played.  I thought he had earned it.  Oh well.  

I honestly cant explain the usage but overall the offense was dreadful in what should have been a great matchup.

• Like 1

The good news is they should go back to what works because that looked like a completely different offense and Goff looked like crap.

Not saying I didn’t chase either (I did) but my goodness nothing spells fantasy doom quite like *fantasy industry consensus* 

They should change their monikers to “Badbeateorologist” 

I’ll see myself out now

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

[...] if you believe in hendo's talent then he should be featured more/run away with the backfield..but he's facing a 2 other RB's as well as a coach believing in the committee. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

9 hours ago, brosephd said:

[...] if you believe in hendo's talent then he should be featured more/run away with the backfield..but he's facing a 2 other RB's as well as a coach believing in the committee. 

I just don’t think McVay wants anyone to run away with this backfield. Brown looked decidedly average today but he had no problem devoting entire drives to him. I can’t see how adding Akers would somehow un-muddy this situation. 

4 hours ago, Rainyy said:

Definitely possible, but what is strange is that many of us thought Henderson had already "emerged."  Henderson has been outplaying Brown the last couple games, and greatly out-touched him last week.  

Maybe we chalk up his ~20 carries last week to the Rams simply riding the hot hand, but the Rams didn't even give Henderson an opportunity to get going today.  That's just surprising given how well Henderson has played.  I thought he had earned it.  Oh well.  

Exactly. Rams offense was very stagnant with Brown in the game. Terrible. Rams should have lost, for the game to be that close vs the Giants is saying something.

6 hours ago, varock said:

I just don’t think McVay wants anyone to run away with this backfield. Brown looked decidedly average today but he had no problem devoting entire drives to him. I can’t see how adding Akers would somehow un-muddy this situation. 

After all that money they blew on Gurley, this makes perfect sense. Keep it a committee so no one rises to the top.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 77georgec said:

After all that money they blew on Gurley, this makes perfect sense. Keep it a committee so no one rises to the top.

It could have cost them the game though. That makes zero sense.

Maybe we just “rushed” to judgment about what the number of carries last game meant combined with McVay’s quote that “[t]he more he plays and the more he’s available, the better he’s going to get” LOL that’s some serious coach speak especially now.

In retrospect Hendo got a full load of carries last week in less than half the snaps. Without a track record for doing so like Aaron Jones.  

Regardless Giants D played VERY well and out coached McVay. The Rams were the most run heavy team coming in. And deviated with awful results maybe bc of something the Giants D did to McVay. Plus the whole team looked flat.

If this was a one-off AND Henderson is their preferred main guy in a run heavy game, then next week could snap back. Besides, now that everyone will bench him as a result of this game that’s almost a lock to happen.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2

Some coaches just cant let go of reliable vets with less upside/explosiveness.......

Gore over Bell

AP over Swift

Brown over Henderson

They are willing to give up the upside potential over reliability and experience.  Hopefully Henderson forces his hand...... 

As a Rams fan, Mcvay's playcalling yesterday confuses the hell out of me, down to running it 3 straight times at the end to give their offense another chance to tie. I think he was calling a pretty vanilla game because he expected to walk over the Giants and was saving his good calls/better player in Henderson for the future, but that's really just a guess. Definitely wasn't a normal Mcvay gameplan. 

Anyone dropping him deserves what they get. He's still a hold and I'll probably be rolling him out next week, but I'm definitely not as confident as I was a week ago. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

As a Rams fan, Mcvay's playcalling yesterday confuses the hell out of me, down to running it 3 straight times at the end to give their offense another chance to tie. I think he was calling a pretty vanilla game because he expected to walk over the Giants and was saving his good calls/better player in Henderson for the future, but that's really just a guess. Definitely wasn't a normal Mcvay gameplan. 

Anyone dropping him deserves what they get. He's still a hold and I'll probably be rolling him out next week, but I'm definitely not as confident as I was a week ago. 

The vanilla play calling / saving Henderson are very interesting points that offer the most plausible explanations imo. They were desperate last week - - but not this one. Still seems crazy but I’m no head coach. Thx

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1

“He’s good. He got a got a good shot where we were just making sure he’s feeling good. He came back in, but really it was kind of a physical downhill kind of a dirty-type running game,” McVay said. “We weren’t really able to run. We didn’t get as many opportunities. Really because we weren’t as efficient on third down that led to a lot of the lack of success, if you will just all offensively overall. I think you look at what a small margin for error it was. To answer your original question, and then I’ll go on a little tangent myself, we wanted to rotate those guys, but the way that the game kind of ended up playing out, Malcolm ended up getting more touches. It was hard to get into any sort of rhythm.”

“I think when you just look at what a fine line it is between playing well and then it not really feeling like you’re getting nearly the production that’s expected of this unit and that what we’ve been accustomed to is, you have your first series go 12 plays go right down the field and ended up scoring a touchdown. Second series, you end up fumbling on the first play that then gives them a little bit of momentum that they end up getting a field goal out of. You go three-and-out on a situation on the third series, where we got a play-action, that we would typically hit on a second down that’s there and they’re place that we’ve made. We end up taking a sack on third down where uncharacteristic plays by our guys that we just really haven’t missed. Then, we ended up getting a 14-play drive that because of a red-zone mistake, probably ends up resulting in a field goal instead of a touchdown when you take a sack there. So, that’s all of our drives in the first half.”

-Sean McVay

It sounds like if the offensive gameplan is working, particularly their zone running scheme, Hendo will get more touches. He probably won't be the workhorse we were hoping for, but an efficient back at least. How you look at him depends on how you feel about the Rams. If this is a top 10 offense, Hendo can be a solid option. RB2 at best, Flex most likely. I don't think Akers will change the situation much for Hendo. Call me an optimist, but a RB with a 3.1 YPC and 1 catch through 3 games doesn't scare me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

It sounds like if the offensive gameplan is working, particularly their zone running scheme, Hendo will get more touches. He probably won't be the workhorse we were hoping for, but an efficient back at least. How you look at him depends on how you feel about the Rams. If this is a top 10 offense, Hendo can be a solid option. RB2 at best, Flex most likely. I don't think Akers will change the situation much for Hendo. Call me an optimist, but a RB with a 3.1 YPC and 1 catch through 3 games doesn't scare me. 

Not to toot my own horn, but McVay appears to confirm my theory.  

The Rams trust Henderson more as the runner so he'll get more touches in games where the Rams are protecting a lead.  In close games, they're going to Brown, likely because they trust him more in pass protection.  

Maybe there's also some concern about wear and tear on Henderson in a more "downhill kind of dirty-type running game," because Henderson is undersized? Who knows.

• Like 2

Rams are top 3 in running the ball in neutral game script. McVay wants to pound the rock this year which bodes well for Henderson and others. Too much talent not to play him to at least flex value, with major upside.

12 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

the Rams are protecting a lead.

I agree you made good points, but the Rams were behind for the entirety of the Bills game when Hendo went off. I think it's not the score, but the offensive production that counts here. If the Rams are scoring and in rhythm, Hendo will be the top back. If it's a defensive slugfest, expect a lot of Brown. 

Just now, MKO3090 said:

I agree you made good points, but the Rams were behind for the entirety of the Bills game when Hendo went off. I think it's not the score, but the offensive production that counts here. If the Rams are scoring and in rhythm, Hendo will be the top back. If it's a defensive slugfest, expect a lot of Brown. 

makes sense, but you would have had to have been a total Giants homer to not think that the Rams would have pounded the snot out of them.  They were even short Peppers.  I'm not certain I can name a Giants defensive starter from Sunday without looking it up.  Leonard Williams is there right?

Posted (edited)

All I hear is McVay saying his crappy game plan almost made them lose to the Giants. Don't do it again you donkey.

Also, yes it appears Brown is in there when they go pass heavy for protection, but that doesn't really help when you can't throw the ball.

Edited by LongBalls

6 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

All I hear is McVay saying his crappy game plan almost made them lose to the Giants. Don't do it again you donkey.

Also, yes it appears Brown is in there when they go pass heavy for protection, but that doesn't really help when you can't throw the ball.

Yah, the problem with this game was the Rams were completely inept offensively. Terrible performance. 

Brown had 9 carries to Henderson’s 8, and they had a grand total of 58 rushing yards and only 200 passing. Well under 300 total yards, vs the Giants. Bad, very bad. 

I still believe they shoot themselves in the foot by giving Brown more cracks at it... Henderson is far more likely to make a big play and change the course of the game. 

7 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

makes sense, but you would have had to have been a total Giants homer to not think that the Rams would have pounded the snot out of them.  They were even short Peppers.  I'm not certain I can name a Giants defensive starter from Sunday without looking it up.  Leonard Williams is there right?

The NFL is weird like that. Sometimes you run all over a top defense (Bills) and struggle against a bottom-feeder (Giants).

There is this theory that the Giants blitzed more than expected, which surprised McVay. This closed up the outside lanes for Hendo to run through. You would think that you'd make them pay in the passing game, but Goff sucked. So McVay opted to go with the better pass-blocker to keep attacking through the air and the bigger back to run through the middle (Brown). Eventually it worked with Kupp getting that 55 yard TD. And that is all she wrote. Rams win.

I think McVay is a VERY good coach. Opposing teams will watch the Giants gameplan to copy. McVay will make adjustments in the passing game to counter. WFT is a good test to see what happens. My bet is on the brilliance of Sean McVay and the obvious superior talent of Darrell Henderson. 

7 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

The NFL is weird like that. Sometimes you run all over a top defense (Bills) and struggle against a bottom-feeder (Giants).

There is this theory that the Giants blitzed more than expected, which surprised McVay. This closed up the outside lanes for Hendo to run through. You would think that you'd make them pay in the passing game, but Goff sucked. So McVay opted to go with the better pass-blocker to keep attacking through the air and the bigger back to run through the middle (Brown). Eventually it worked with Kupp getting that 55 yard TD. And that is all she wrote. Rams win.

I think McVay is a VERY good coach. Opposing teams will watch the Giants gameplan to copy. McVay will make adjustments in the passing game to counter. WFT is a good test to see what happens. My bet is on the brilliance of Sean McVay and the obvious superior talent of Darrell Henderson. 

Guess we'll see.  I loved Hendo at Memphis and I think he's got a lot of talent but I am still concerned with the Rams interior run blocking.

1 hour ago, MKO3090 said:

Are we still plugging Hendo in the line up with Akers back and potentially Brown around making for an uncomfortable threesome?

Just now, pdog109 said:

Are we still plugging Hendo in the line up with Akers back and potentially Brown around making for an uncomfortable threesome?

If youre thin at RB slot only options then sure. He's more of a wait and see approach on the bench for me.

7 hours ago, pdog109 said:

uncomfortable threesome?

latest?cb=20200721084037

Boom

7 hours ago, pdog109 said:

If I don’t get Mostert back probably will be. 

0 confidence for him in week 5🥺, 60 yards, 3 receptions, unpredictable..