Savatage79

Le'Veon Bell 2020 Outlook

23 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Give me a GUARANTEED work horse (and is TALENTED) on all 3 downs in the 3rd round all day!

But what if the work horse sucks?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

But what if the work horse sucks?

One bad season behind a bad line, struggling QB, and stubborn HC does not all of a sudden mean Bell sucks 

• Like 2

Bell apologists will be saying Bell could be the league's leading rusher in the right situation, two full years after his final NFL carry.

They are just simply not going to let go.

Reminds me of the Ray Rice thing.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sSektor said:

Adam Gase may still be there but they're at least putting some emphasis on the line.

The Jets invested a ton in Bell. They almost have no choice but to make it work, especially with Darnold and the passing game very much still in development. The Jets need to center the offense around Bell and it appears they intend to do so.

Last year is almost a throw away year imo. Bell took a year off which obviously led to some rust, Not to mention a new system. Then Darnold got mono which threw everything out of whack for much of the season. Bell didn’t look the same, but in hindsight how could he have been expected to? I don’t expect the 2020 Jets to look like Bell’s Steelers, but I do expect Bell to be in better game shape to start the season, as one of the few workhorse backs in the league, with an improved offensive line, and improved play from Darnold who will likely lean on Bell in the passing game.

Bell is still a very talented player, and he will be given all the opportunities he can handle in 2020. He’s probably not going to lead the league in rushing, but he certainly has a clear path to an RB1 fantasy season, which is presumably how the Jets plan to challenge for a division title that is suddenly there for the taking.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The Jets invested a ton in Bell. They almost have no choice but to make it work, especially with Darnold and the passing game very much still in development. The Jets need to center the offense around Bell and it appears they intend to do so.

Last year is almost a throw away year imo. Bell took a year off which obviously led to some rust, Not to mention a new system. Then Darnold got mono which threw everything out of whack for much of the season. Bell didn’t look the same, but in hindsight how could he have been expected to? I don’t expect the 2020 Jets to look like Bell’s Steelers, but I do expect Bell to be in better game shape to start the season, as one of the few workhorse backs in the league, with an improved offensive line, and improved play from Darnold who will likely lean on Bell in the passing game.

Bell is still a very talented player, and he will be given all the opportunities he can handle in 2020. He’s probably not going to lead the league in rushing, but he certainly has a clear path to an RB1 fantasy season, which is presumably how the Jets plan to challenge for a division title that is suddenly there for the taking.

I disagree with the rust part. I saw Bell performing with zero supporting cast and zero creative play calling to get him the ball in space.  The fact was aside from injuries and QB issues, Gase did not put Bell in a position to succeed that utilized his strengths to offset his weakness. I don't even recall a play where Bell was lining out wide but I can recall numerous handoffs where there was no blocking to spring him past the line of scrimmage.

Last season was all on the HC.  Top coaches make adjustments and Gase seems incapable to do so beyond a few trick plays.

He seems like a HC who prefers to lose with the purity of his system intact rather than win retooling his sytem into a hyrbrid offense.

Even the 1st year Bengals coach scrapped his running scheme to accommodate Mixon and the o-line than continue to get blown out every game. 😂

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 3

How do the Jets' offensive line additions fit into their system?

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/how-do-the-jets-offensive-line-additions-fit-into-their-system/313107656

”That will be a boost for Le'Veon Bell, who has excelled on such plays in the past and will enable the offense to evolve into something more unpredictable and dynamic than what we saw from them in 2019. They can still use a mixture of zone and power, but all the new additions have experience in both types of systems.“

Same exact thing they said last season.

46 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Same exact thing they said last season.

So they shouldn’t try to improve the offensive line this year with a new group of players?

I think Fant and McGovern are competent blockers, which the Jets obviously sorely lacked last year, but probably not providing a huge lift for Bell.

If they lose Robby Anderson too, this seems like the type of offense that will have to go through him.  Enuwa, Crowder, Herdon etc. aren't going to be gaining a ton of defensive attention.

Looks like another long year to me.

4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think Fant and McGovern are competent blockers, which the Jets obviously sorely lacked last year, but probably not providing a huge lift for Bell.

If they lose Robby Anderson too, this seems like the type of offense that will have to go through him.  Enuwa, Crowder, Herdon etc. aren't going to be gaining a ton of defensive attention.

Looks like another long year to me.

Uh-oh

I'm having a hard time pegging Bell right now.

He was one of the big winners from the draft. Jets brought in O-line help and didn't draft anybody who is going to threaten him for snaps. He is still essentially uncuttable due to the dead money > cap hit equation. He is still that holy grail of fantasy; the three-down back.

His 2019 was pretty awful though. 3.2YPC, 3 rushing TDs, 0 100-yard games. He is now 28 years old. I'm willing to bet if he does have a good year left in him, this might be it.

Pros: 4 games against Miami and a clearly tanking New England team in the upcoming season. Hope that the re-tooled O-line can put it together.

Cons: 2 games against Buffalo; O-lines take time to develop and in this post-COVID world, missing OTA's means missing time on the practice field for O-line to develop. 

I think I'd put him in the David Johnson category of "Yesterday's Heroes" and tentatively draft him round 4-5?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

I'm having a hard time pegging Bell right now.

He was one of the big winners from the draft. Jets brought in O-line help and didn't draft anybody who is going to threaten him for snaps. He is still essentially uncuttable due to the dead money > cap hit equation. He is still that holy grail of fantasy; the three-down back.

His 2019 was pretty awful though. 3.2YPC, 3 rushing TDs, 0 100-yard games. He is now 28 years old. I'm willing to bet if he does have a good year left in him, this might be it.

Pros: 4 games against Miami and a clearly tanking New England team in the upcoming season. Hope that the re-tooled O-line can put it together.

Cons: 2 games against Buffalo; O-lines take time to develop and in this post-COVID world, missing OTA's means missing time on the practice field for O-line to develop. 

I think I'd put him in the David Johnson category of "Yesterday's Heroes" and tentatively draft him round 4-5?

There’s no way you’re getting Bell in the 4th or 5th.  The O-line reconstruction should theoretically benefit him, though.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

There’s no way you’re getting Bell in the 4th or 5th.  The O-line reconstruction should theoretically benefit him, though.

FWIW his ADP on Fantasypros right now is 42. 5th round might be a tad late, granted.
(And yes, I would also accept that in pretty much every league I have ever drafted in RB's go off the board like hotcakes leaving my real drafts looking nothing like those I mock.)

• Like 1

Wow...he would be an absolute steal at 42 - efficiency be damned!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

FWIW his ADP on Fantasypros right now is 42. 5th round might be a tad late, granted.
(And yes, I would also accept that in pretty much every league I have ever drafted in RB's go off the board like hotcakes leaving my real drafts looking nothing like those I mock.)

i've been watching the fourth and fifth rounds over the past month and i'm not so sure fantasypros' ADP is as accurate as footballcalculator, who has bell at 3.10 in half-PPR. we'll see fluctuation as we move toward august, but bell at mid-3rd and early-4th seems accurate. if bell is there at the beginning of round 5, i'm pouncing on the selection: having bell as my 3rd RB / flex is ideal. i don't think he's done, and i don't see things getting worse than last year. the o-line must be better.

that said, i am hoping to avoid all jets players in re-draft. adam gase is not to be toyed with. he is a plague. i like mims in dynasty because the genius that is gase will be gone during mims' sophomore year. my two cents.

tenor.gif?itemid=16490292 

• Like 1

There's no way his ADP remains in the 4th round. Name value alone will shoot him into the 3rd come draft day.

Don't trust him at all this season, same goes for his goofy HC 

Jets sign frank gore 

rip Leveon bell 😂😂

• Like 2

Didn't Bell complain last season because he wasn't getting enough carries to get into a rhythm? 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/le-veon-bell-jets-1.39425614

I don't see this marriage ending well. I also don't know if it's a case of Gase being incompetent, Bell losing a step, or the Jets O-Line being awful. Probably all three, and that's enough to keep me far away from Bell unless he slips DEEP in drafts.

• Like 1

How on earth do Gores knees still function after tearing both ACLs and then getting over 3,500 rush attempts?

2 hours ago, sSektor said:

How on earth do Gores knees still function after tearing both ACLs and then getting over 3,500 rush attempts?

He's not human. The injuries were deception to disguise his true intentions to vulture plaque fantasy backfields until we pray with humility No MAS!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As much as Gase hates Bell, that's how much he loves Gore.  Say Goodnite, Gracie!

Goodnight, Gracie.