Sign in to follow this  
BostonCajun

What Would You Do? WHIR

I'm in a 10 team H2H league with OBP and Saves+Holds instead of average and saves. We each keep 5 players drafted outside of the top 5 rounds the prior year with a max of 3 years kept. 

My first 5 picks in the draft are overall 1st, 21st, 40th, 41st, and 60th. I'm taking Trout 1st overall but with the 21st pick I am torn on what to do. Here's what my roster looks like after that Trout pick including my keepers.

C, 1B, 2B-Merrifield (7th round), SS, 3B, CI, MI, OF-Trout, OF-Acuna (26th round), OF-Laureano(15th round), OF, Util

SP-Snell (13th round), SP-Nola (14th round), RP, RP, 4 P spots

There are roughly 15 of the top 40 overall players being kept so I'm consistently seeing Xander, Sale, Springer, Starling Marte, and Baez available for me with the 21st pick. I normally go with safe offense in the first 3 rounds but I am really tempted to pair Sale with my Snell/Nola rotation then focus on hitting after that. Perhaps that's because I have the Trout/Acuna combo meal to build around.

Many of the SPs ranked after Sale are being kept including Castillo, Corbin, Giolito, Paddock, Berrios, Soroka, and possibly Severino and Darvish. Therefore there are a limited number of SP available after that before you get into the more risky plays. Guys like Kershaw, Greinke, Morton, and Syndergaard will all most likely be taken before my turn in the 4th and 5th round. Going with Sale would make it less critical for me to strike gold with one of my later round pitchers. 

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Post your links here and I'll definitely return the favor. 

I would go with a bat since you already have 2 SP's right off the bat. Baez or Xander would be my pick. I'm a little suspect of Sale after his bad season last year and injury issues anyways

• Thanks 1

I really like Sale here or Baez. Sale is definitely risky, but I'm in on him this year. I don't think you'll be able to get clear guidance on this issue because of how murky Sales projections are... but I'd take it.

• Thanks 1

I like Baez there.  I don't think you'd be wrong with Sale either, but my gut is to go with Baez. He combined with Trout and Acuna is wow.

• Thanks 1

I am hesitant on Sale, however he could be the best of the 3 picks if healthy and right. So if you want to take the risk go Sale. If not the other 2 are a good option B 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shinoix said:

I like Baez there.  I don't think you'd be wrong with Sale either, but my gut is to go with Baez. He combined with Trout and Acuna is wow.

I worry Sale is a ticking time bomb before he gets hurt.  I'd feel a lot safer with Baez.

• Thanks 1

Id rather have Bogaerts than Baez, especially with OBP.  Xander's was 60 points higher than Baez.  Baez is too free swinging to raise that OBP much, and he doesnt run as much (only 11 SB's last year).  Bogaerts also had more HR's, granted he also had more AB's but that should be expected.  I can see taking another SP in that spot, as the innings eaters get gobbled up pretty quick, but I think without having a SS and also having to fill a MI spot, I would take Xander with that pick and gamble later on some SP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toss Snell & Nola back, keep 2 more offensive players in those spots. 

I am curious why so many feel that Baez is the best of those bats likely available. Are you all expecting the stolen bases to increase above 20? I was leaning more toward Xander or Springer given their help in obp and the other counting stats outside of steals. 

• Like 1

I would draft Xander.I would stock up on big time bats with it only being a 10 team league. Pitchers will be available and you already have two good ones. 

Edited by 24/7fantasysports
  • Thanks 1

I'd definitely go Baez. I've had Sale as a keeper for years, but finally decided to cut bait. Risk keeps getting higher with him.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I’m curious though why so many feel that Baez is the best of those bats. Are you all expecting the stolen bases to increase above 20? I was leaning more toward Xander or Springer given their help in obp and the other counting stats outside of steals. 

Also, I guess part of my thought on getting another top tier pitcher at this spot is my lack of confidence in Nola returning to 2018 form. I do think he’s better than last year though. Also Snell might not go more than 180 innings given how the Rays manage their innings. 

Looking a little closer at your keepers and the SB upside you already have, it does seem that Baez is probably more of a liability with his OBP downside. With that said, I think Xander is probably the best option. 

• Thanks 1