1972Miamidolphins

Tom Brady 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

agree to disagree cleats.    I think the titans have exactly the kind of qb they need to complement Henry.    The King will lead the offense for sure...but a guy who can complete 70%-  and is a great runner out of the backfield means the offense stays on the field.  

You are right. Those are some pretty completion percentage when it is all typed out like that it looks so compelling. All I keep seeing is flashes of Tannehill throwing the ball at the ground on a 5 yard out route when they needed that 70% completion percentage to rear his head at the most crucial moment but it just didn't. 

Tannehill can be a really good QB, as you so eloquently showed with that completion percentage, it just looked like he lacked the "it" factor in the most critical game.

That was just 1 playoff game though but seeing as how Henry did the heavy lifting the 1st 2 games of the playoffs I was ticked off Tannehill couldn't have step up that game. Still, he was on fire during the regular season and could very well keep it going if they retain him.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Whoa ... almost forgot I was in the Brady thread after reading the last few posts. Had to scroll up and make sure 🙃

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You are right. Those are some pretty completion percentage when it is all typed out like that it looks so compelling. All I keep seeing is flashes of Tannehill throwing the ball at the ground on a 5 yard out route when they needed that 70% completion percentage to rear his head at the most crucial moment but it just didn't. 

Tannehill can be a really good QB, as you so eloquently showed with that completion percentage, it just looked like he lacked the "it" factor in the most critical game.

That was just 1 playoff game though but seeing as how Henry did the heavy lifting the 1st 2 games of the playoffs I was ticked off Tannehill couldn't have step up that game. Still, he was on fire during the regular season and could very well keep it going if they retain him.

When you end up 7 spots behind Mason Rudolph in completion percentage, something is going tremendously wrong in your career. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

agree to disagree cleats.    I think the titans have exactly the kind of qb they need to complement Henry.    The King will lead the offense for sure...but a guy who can complete 70%-  and is a great runner out of the backfield means the offense stays on the field.  

Can someone please point to where we saw "clutch"  and "goat" playmaking from 2019 Tom Brady?

I saw a QB who didnt do much and had a great defense carry  the victories.

oh yeah against Miami with a bye week in the line, he was "almost clutch" and in the WC game he would have been "clutch" if he didnt throw the interception.😂

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dashoe said:

Can someone please point to where we saw "clutch"  and "goat" playmaking from 2019 Tom Brady?

I saw a QB who didnt do much and had a great defense carry  the victories.

oh yeah against Miami with a bye week in the line, he was "almost clutch" and in the WC game he would have been "clutch" if he didnt throw the interception.😂

Yep. Tom Brady is the 🐐,  but Tennessee doesn’t get points for a legacy award.  At 42, he’s a statue with questionable arm strength who throws accurate short passes.  Dion Lewis would be reborn.  

The Brady Bunch here seems to think he’ll step on the field and be better than the multidimensional threat who completed 70% of his passes and only had 6 picks.   2700/22/6 plus 4 on the ground in 10 starts.  Top 5 season ALL TIME as far as efficiency goes (117 passer rating).

And It not like we didn’t know Tanny was really talented-  he’s one of only 3 QBs in nfl history to have 15,000 passing yards in his first 4 seasons.  Peyton, Marino, Tannehill-  that’s it.   

Easiest decision in free agency this year is for Tennessee to pass on Brady and sign Tanny to a 3 year deal.    

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yep. Tom Brady is the 🐐,  but Tennessee doesn’t get points for a legacy award.  At 42, he’s a statue with questionable arm strength who throws accurate short passes.  Dion Lewis would be reborn.  

The Brady Bunch here seems to think he’ll step on the field and be better than the multidimensional threat who completed 70% of his passes and only had 6 picks.   2700/22/6 plus 4 on the ground in 10 starts.  Top 5 season ALL TIME as far as efficiency goes (117 passer rating).

And It not like we didn’t know Tanny was really talented-  he’s one of only 3 QBs in nfl history to have 15,000 passing yards in his first 4 seasons.  Peyton, Marino, Tannehill-  that’s it.   

Easiest decision in free agency this year is for Tennessee to pass on Brady and sign Tanny to a 3 year deal.    

OK? There's something to be said for him for playing a full 16 game slate in his first (4) seasons but let's not get carried away here lol. Cherry picking stats is easy. If we are going to call Tannehill's first (4) years "historic" (LOL):

Tannehill came into league in 2012. So did Andrew Luck:

Per game average first (4) seasons in NFL:

Ryan Tannehill: 242 yds, 1.4 TD, .8 INT

Andrew Luck: 270 yds, 1.8 TD, 1 INT

Calling Ryan Tannehill historic is funny. The term "historic" getting thrown around pretty loosely around here. If we are strictly going by the definition of it, it would be historic to throw 7 picks in a game. How are we defining "historic"? By cherry picking dumb numbers that haven't happened, or reserving the term "historic" for actually elite QBs?

Sure, Tannehill had 15,000 in his first (4) seasons. An accomplishment, sure. But there are MANY other QBs during same time frame who had a much better per game average that maybe missed a couple games so numbers are skewed quite a bit. Tannehill played every game his first 4 seasons, I'll give him that. But seriously? Let's be real here. Next season will be fun when Tannehill isn't performing like this elite franchise QB that some of you lifelong Brady/Patriot haters are making him out to be. He benefitted from Henry and the Oline quite heavily last year.

Would someone remind me how specifically RYAN TANNEHILL did against NE in the playoffs when New England's defensive game plan was to take away the play action deep passing game that helped skew Tannehill's numbers? yes, TN won the game and that was because of NE's failure on offense and DERRICK HENRY and the TN Oline. Even when TN played Baltimore, how did Mr. Franchise do?

Posted (edited)

Let's just concede and move on to what the thread is actually about. Some of you believe that Ryan Tannehill is an elite, franchise QB based on 10 games in 2019 (ignoring the first 88 games of his career) last season with Derrick Henry and an elite oline leading the way.

Some of us disagree. Let's just move on.

Edited by ThreadKiller

6 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

OK? There's something to be said for him for playing a full 16 game slate in his first (4) seasons but let's not get carried away here lol. Cherry picking stats is easy. If we are going to call Tannehill's first (4) years "historic" (LOL):

Tannehill came into league in 2012. So did Andrew Luck:

Per game average first (4) seasons in NFL:

Ryan Tannehill: 242 yds, 1.4 TD, .8 INT

Andrew Luck: 270 yds, 1.8 TD, 1 INT

Calling Ryan Tannehill historic is funny. The term "historic" getting thrown around pretty loosely around here. If we are strictly going by the definition of it, it would be historic to throw 7 picks in a game. How are we defining "historic"? By cherry picking dumb numbers that haven't happened, or reserving the term "historic" for actually elite QBs?

Sure, Tannehill had 15,000 in his first (4) seasons. An accomplishment, sure. But there are MANY other QBs during same time frame who had a much better per game average that maybe missed a couple games so numbers are skewed quite a bit. Tannehill played every game his first 4 seasons, I'll give him that. But seriously? Let's be real here. Next season will be fun when Tannehill isn't performing like this elite franchise QB that some of you lifelong Brady/Patriot haters are making him out to be. He benefitted from Henry and the Oline quite heavily last year.

Would someone remind me how specifically RYAN TANNEHILL did against NE in the playoffs when New England's defensive game plan was to take away the play action deep passing game that helped skew Tannehill's numbers? yes, TN won the game and that was because of NE's failure on offense and DERRICK HENRY and the TN Oline. Even when TN played Baltimore, how did Mr. Franchise do?

It is absurd to say Brady is great because he wins even on days he has bad stats, but then dismiss Tannehill for doing exactly the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It is absurd to say Brady is great because he wins even on days he has bad stats, but then dismiss Tannehill for doing exactly the same thing. 

I'll wait to see where I said that...

Some of you are using Tannehill's game numbers last year to illustrate how elite and "historic" he is. Others (myself included) are disputing that, saying it was mostly Henry and their Oline. The playoff games I mentioned prove that and then some.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Want to move on?  How excited are you that Tom Brady is starting his own production company called 199?  You know, because he was the 199th pick in the NFL draft?  I wonder why he hasn't been playing as well lately.  Maybe he is more focused on building his business empire...

• Like 1

I just find it amusing how many people think that Brady turns any team he goes to into a contender.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Let's just concede and move on to what the thread is actually about. Some of you believe that Ryan Tannehill is an elite, franchise QB based on 10 games in 2019 (ignoring the first 88 games of his career) last season with Derrick Henry and an elite oline leading the way.

Some of us disagree. Let's just move on.

more of this “88 games” nonsense.    One clearly does not throw for 15K yards in their first 4 seasons without showing signs of franchise level talent.   

All while burning through GMs,  Philbin and Gase as head coaches,  and multiple OCs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, petekrum said:

I just find it amusing how many people think that Brady turns any team he goes to into a contender.

It's almost as amusing as labeling Ryan Tannehill an elite franchise QB based on a 10 game regular season sample size with the best RB and OLine in the NFL carrying him. Seems like it would make more sense to see more before labeling him as elite. [...]

Let's get back to talking about Tom Brady since ya know, that's what the thread seems to be about.

Edited by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

It's almost as amusing as labeling Ryan Tannehill an elite franchise QB based on a 10 game regular season sample size with the best RB and OLine in the NFL carrying him. Seems like it would make more sense to see more before labeling him as elite. But hey, I get it. Since the conversation includes Tom Brady, the lifer Brady/Patriots haters will take the other side no matter what and cherry pick statistics that may back up their stance while ignoring all numbers and reality that goes against it.

Let's get back to talking about Tom Brady since ya know, that's what the thread seems to be about.

“Elite” and “franchise level” are not the same things,   TK.   

brees/Mahomes-  elite

stafford/carr/cousins/Tanny - franchise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

brees/Mahomes-  elite

As I mentioned before, I disagree. It's all in how each individual defines "elite" and "franchise". I equate franchise to elite. To me, Franchise means "face of my team". Is Ryan Tannehill the face of the Titans? Absolutely not. Will he ever be? Probably not IMO.

Despite your thinking otherwise, everything you listed is purely subjective and that's fine if you think Derrick Carr and Ryan Tannehill are franchise QBs that are going to carry their teams to a Superbowl. I don't.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Wait, what's this?

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss expects the Patriots to offer Tom Brady a deal worth $25 million annually.

I will lol if Brady signs for $10 million less than market after all this posturing.

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wait, what's this?

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss expects the Patriots to offer Tom Brady a deal worth $25 million annually.

I will lol if Brady signs for $10 million less than market after all this posturing.

I don’t follow too closely with all the rumors but which team or teams willing to pay him $35 mil a year? 

Also, I think Brady wants a long term deal so that he can play till he is 45. While the Pats want to take it year by year. So that is why there is all these commotions. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ginocan said:

I don’t follow too closely with all the rumors but which team or teams willing to pay him $35 mil a year? 

Also, I think Brady wants a long term deal so that he can play till he is 45. While the Pats want to take it year by year. So that is why there is all these commotions. 

You are 100% correct, sir.

LOL at ANYONE who thinks Brady is "posturing" right now just for more money. That is the furthest thing from what he wants right now with the team he signs with.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

brees/Mahomes-  elite

Exactly.

Amazing how some don't understand that simple distinction.  A franchise QB does not equate to an "elite" QB.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I live in Massachusetts a diehard Tom Brady & Patriots fan and we all seen what he didn’t do last season. He was horrible. Is he done? I don’t know but me personally would like to see Tom in a new uniform. 

Would he guided the Titans over the Chiefs? Highly unlikely but hey we have no idea because he played in New England. 
If Tom was the QB of the niners would they won the Super Bowl? Highly unlikely but hey we will never know. 

See I disagree. Obviously circumstances would have been COMPLETELY different and you can't always just plug in a replacement for one scenario and think that that is how you change the outcome. BUT, I do think that if it were Brady who got the ball with 2.5 minutes left in the 4th, he would have lead the team down against KC to score a TD instead of do nothing like Jimmy G did (and I'm a big Jimmy G fan).

I also think that he would have done more against KC than Tannehill did in the AFC Championship and that's not really going out on much of a limb.

I personally want Brady back in NE, but that's only if they are able to creatively surround him with a strong supporting cast. I don't want a repeat of next year, meaning Brady and then a bunch of nonsense. If that's the case, I'm ok with hitting the rest button. The part I have concern with is how to replenish the roster AND keep Brady.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Exactly.

Amazing how some don't understand that simple distinction.  A franchise QB does not equate to an "elite" QB.😂

It's a subjective statement.

If you google "franchise QB", the below comes up. To me, the below description absolutely 100% does NOT describe Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr. If it does for you, and you truly believe that Tannehill and Carr are franchise QBs, then by all means, it's ok to disagree.

a "franchise quarterback" is a guy capable of delivering wins, regardless of situation and circumstance. These special signal-callers can play without the support of a star receiver or a sturdy offensive line, and they don't need an elite play caller to elevate their game

Edited by ThreadKiller

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

This explanation is so convoluted and self serving, I don't even know where to begin to deconstruct the bunk. 🤣

How should I break it down for you so it doesn't go over your head? It's really quite simple. I have higher standards for what I deem a "franchise QB" and so does the internet when you look up "franchise QB".

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

The part I have concern with is how to replenish the roster AND keep Brady

Bingo .. 

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

e I disagree

5 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

BUT, I do think that if it were Brady who got the ball with 2.5 minutes left in the 4th, he would have lead the team down against KC to score a TD instead of do nothing like Jimmy G did (and I'm a big Jimmy G fan).

Tom Brady says yikes ...

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

It's a subjective statement.

If you google "franchise QB", the below comes up. To me, the below description absolutely 100% does NOT describe Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr. If it does for you, and you truly believe that Tannehill and Carr are franchise QBs, then by all means, it's ok to disagree. But don't sit there and passive aggressively take digs because I disagree with an opinion.

a "franchise quarterback" is a guy capable of delivering wins, regardless of situation and circumstance. These special signal-callers can play without the support of a star receiver or a sturdy offensive line, and they don't need an elite play caller to elevate their game

Ok so by that very "subjective" definition. Tom Brady in 2019 WAS NOT a FRANCHISE QB. He did not deliver the wins regardless of situation and circumstance. 

Thanks for the clarification 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

How should I break it down for you so it doesn't go over your head? It's really quite simple. I have higher standards for what I deem a "franchise QB" and so does the internet when you look up "franchise QB".

So again by your "higher standards" Tom Brady was not a franchise QB in 2019.  

Thanks for the simple break down 😂

• Like 1