1972Miamidolphins

Tom Brady 2020 Outlook

If you say this 

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And I expect improvement from New England in many of those areas in 2020.  The O-line will be healthy, Sanu should bounce back, Harry should keep improving, and the rookie TEs look promising imo.

Than how can you say this

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Did you watch Brady play in 2019?  New England was winning in spite of, not because of, their quarterback play.   

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And I expect improvement from New England in many of those areas in 2020.  The O-line will be healthy, Sanu should bounce back, Harry should keep improving, and the rookie TEs look promising imo.

Now add in a QB who is a threat to run on every play instead of an aging statue in the pocket and it might be quite a nice formula.

O Line yes but even "promising" rookie TEs who are elite prospects like Hockenson and Fant don't contribute very often as rookies--let alone rawer 3rd rounders (I actually really like Keene long term)

A threat to run and a much worse and less accurate passer throwing to guys who besides maybe to some extent Edelman cannot separate.

Only area I see improving is the OL--which combined with the secondary to me is the only edge New England has on any other AFC contender (except QB over the Bills and Broncos)

Understandable and if Brady flops this year I will eat my words but it's gonna take more than not being able to do well one year with a bunch of WR3s to throw to make me think Cam--who was somehow way worse with two WRs better than Brady's best (DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel) and has one year in his career (5 seasons and a bunch of injuries ago) better than Brady--is better

He is quite the athletic marvel but so were a bunch of now washed players like David Johnson, RG3 and Gurley 

Damage adds up and without progress as a passer (more regression from what I saw last year) I can't imagine considering him better than a guy he has pretty much never been better than

Did you know that an athletic, running quarterback, when utilized properly, can be a great boon to a team's rushing offense?  Between that and an O-line returned to health, I think we will see a more balanced, and even more successful New England team.

Well I guess you did not see Cam Newton play in 2019.  Newton was clearly badly injured and could not run last season.  In the few games Cam did play, he was unable to make the type of plays we are used to seeing from him.  Belichick likes players with a chip on their shoulders, so I think Newton will fit that description in 2020.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Did you know that an athletic, running quarterback, when utilized properly, can be a great boon to a team's rushing offense?  Between that and an O-line returned to health, I think we will see a more balanced, and even more successful New England team.

Agree with the bolded. But you know what isn't a boon to a team's rushing offense? Sony Molasses...I mean Michel.

Saying that as someone stuck with this scrub on my main dynasty league team

That said I see the Patriots rushing attack improving in efficiency from a healthier OL and in part from Newton. Their passing offense will go from poor to downright horrendous though IMO

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well I guess you did not see Cam Newton play in 2019.  Newton was clearly badly injured and could not run last season.  In the few games Cam did play, he was unable to make the type of plays we are used to seeing from him.  Belichick likes players with a chip on their shoulders, so I think Newton will fit that description in 2020.

And what's the guarantee he will ever be "back"? You don't seem to think Brady can bounce back from a poor year with awful receivers and a bad OL. I am not saying Cam will be a bottom 5 QB this year; but he has literally never been better than Brady in his career except one year. I don't know how you can reasonably predict it when he has Laquon Treadwell...I mean N'Keal Harry to Brady's Mike Evans

Cam wouldn't just need to be back to 2018 levels (you know when he had McCaffrey--forgot him somehow--Moore, Samuel and not yet washed Olsen and went 7-9) to get this Pats team to win the division and be contenders. He would need to go to 2015 and maybe even a little above it--when he had a defense better than the current Patriots, better RBs and prime Olsen who alone was better than the entire current Pats receiving corps.

Not to mention: I know BB loves players with a chip and guys who were written off, but don't act like all those reclamation projects have been successes

Correct, not all New England reclamation projects have been a success.  However, this one featuring Cam seems like a worthy bet.  Newton is 31 and recovering from a specific foot injury that sapped his explosiveness, but it has healed as Cam passed two physical examinations.

Brady, on the other hand, was not injured that we know of in 2019.  But Brady seems to be slowing down, as he was unable to elevate his average supporting cast last year, the way he did when he was younger multiple times with WRs like Reche Caldwell, David Givens, and other moderate talents.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Correct, not all New England reclamation projects have been a success.  However, this one featuring Cam seems like a worthy bet.  Newton is 31 and recovering from a specific foot injury that sapped his explosiveness, but it has healed as Cam passed two physical examinations.

Brady, on the other hand, was not injured that we know of in 2019.  But Brady seems to be slowing down, as he was unable to elevate his average supporting cast last year, the way he did when he was younger multiple times with WRs like Reche Caldwell, David Givens, and other moderate talents.

So you are saying the teams with these players didn't win in spite of Brady?  Step in the right direction I guess   :) 

Posted (edited)

Brady of the mid-2000s and Brady of 2019 were two very different players.  And Brady of 2020 will be different yet again, especially placed in an offensive system poorly designed to protect an aging and immobile QB.  If there is a season in 2020, I do not expect Tom Brady to make it to the end of that season healthy.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Brady of the mid-2000s and Brady of 2019 were two very different players.  And Brady of 2020 will be different yet again, especially placed in an offensive system poorly designed to protect an aging and immobile QB.  If there is a season in 2020, I do not expect Tom Brady to make it to the end of that season healthy.

That's a given but I still don't think the Pats won 12 games in spite of Brady... If you think Brady isn't  going to hit hot reads when he sees pressure coming than I don't know what to say...It may be Arians offense but every offense has hot reads... I do think he will finish the year because of his high football IQ and quick release, two things  Winston certainly does not have....I guess we will have to agree to disagree...Both teams O=Line's sucked last year

Edited by hockeyfan77

• Bucs TE Cameron Brate said Tom Brady "can still sling it."

Brate said he's seen the narratives surrounding Brady's arm strength, but he's not concerned with it. "Man, he can still sling it. All the work we did in the offseason, that’s kinda the one thing I was really most impressed with, his ability to throw the football.” It's a positive sign, although this storyline remains one of the most intriguing mysteries heading into the 2020 season. Even if Brady's arm strength isn't quite as good, he has the offensive pieces to lead a top-10 offense. Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and a strong trio of tight ends will be a big upgrade to the weapons he had in New England the last few seasons. Brady belongs on the QB1/2 borderline in fantasy drafts as a quarterback who could flirt with 30 touchdown passes.

SOURCE: NBC Sports
    Aug 17, 2020, 2:15 AM ET

•  

I love his schedule and he will be forced to throw all year. Same with Rodgers, plus absolutely no crowd noise he is gonna dice defenses up. 

Sunday
Sep. 13
new_orleans.png at New Orleans SaintsMercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA 4:25pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Sep. 20
carolina.png Carolina PanthersRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 1:00pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Sep. 27
denver.png at Denver BroncosBroncos Stadium at Mile High, Denver, CO 4:25pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Oct. 4
Los Angeles Chargers Los Angeles ChargersRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 1:00pm ETCBS Buy Tickets
Thursday
Oct. 8
chicago.png at Chicago BearsSoldier Field, Chicago, IL 8:20pm ETFOX/NFLN/Amazon Buy Tickets
Sunday
Oct. 18
green_bay.png Green Bay PackersRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 4:25pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Oct. 25
Las Vegas Raiders at Las Vegas RaidersAllegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV 8:20pm ETNBC Buy Tickets
Monday
Nov. 2
ny_giants.png at New York GiantsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 8:15pm ETESPN Buy Tickets
Sunday
Nov. 8
new_orleans.png New Orleans SaintsRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 8:20pm ETNBC Buy Tickets
Sunday
Nov. 15
carolina.png at Carolina PanthersBank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC 1:00pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Monday
Nov. 23
Los Angeles Rams Los Angeles RamsRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 8:15pm ETESPN Buy Tickets
Sunday
Nov. 29
kansas_city.png Kansas City ChiefsRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 4:25pm ETCBS Buy Tickets
Sunday
Dec. 6
  BYE    
Sunday
Dec. 13
minnesota-nfl.png Minnesota VikingsRaymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL 1:00pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Dec. 20
Atlanta Falcons at Atlanta FalconsMercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA 1:00pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
Sunday
Dec. 27
detroit.png at Detroit LionsFord Field, Detroit, MI Time TBA ETor Sat. Dec. 26

I'm kind of talking myself into Brady. He's going right around Brees, Ryan, and Wentz and the four are pretty close.Brady hasn't had weapons like this in a long time and I'm curious to see what he can do. I don't think 4500 yards and 35 TDs are out of the question.

What is everyone projecting for Brady?

15 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

I'm kind of talking myself into Brady. He's going right around Brees, Ryan, and Wentz and the four are pretty close.Brady hasn't had weapons like this in a long time and I'm curious to see what he can do. I don't think 4500 yards and 35 TDs are out of the question.

What is everyone projecting for Brady?

5,000+ Yards 40+ TDs

QB1 by end of season. 

• Like 1

No bad weather or cold weather games at all down the stretch. The last 6 weeks include a BYE, 3 games at home in Florida and 2 games in domes. Loving his Championship week matchup inside the dome at Atlanta especially.

• Like 1

I mimic the last few posts in the sense I'm coming around on Brady.  At the beginning of the off-season there was no chance I was going to draft Brady he was done.  Now I'm coming around.  This might be the best supporting cast since '07 and Brady wouldn't have left NE just to go be a game manager somewhere.  The dude is as competitive as they come, and he is going to sling it this year.  Virtually zero rushing ability which hurts, but should have plenty of opportunity for yards and TDs. 4500 and 35 definitely not out of the question.  

Brady is the GOAT - if Brees and Farve can still perform at their ages...Brady sure as heck can...plus give him Evans, Godwin, and OJ? Sign me up.

not saying he's going to go head to head with Lamar or Mahomes, but considering the ADP...you're possible getting someone who is close to them while being able to also snag a couple more studs instead.

In fantasy, I think you're going to want one of the top 6 QBs this year to be competitive. I don't have Brady there. It goes Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott, Wilson, Murray and Watson. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

In fantasy, I think you're going to want one of the top 6 QBs this year to be competitive. I don't have Brady there. It goes Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott, Wilson, Murray and Watson. 

I think Brady joins that tier this year and is middle of the pack within it, semi Bold prediction Brady is a top 5 QB this year

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

I think Brady joins that tier this year and is middle of the pack within it, semi Bold prediction Brady is a top 5 QB this year

That's a bold prediction. Kudos to you if it pays off. The circumstances are certainly right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

I don't know if I agree with that. Picking Mahomes and Lamar come at a premium...you're giving up a bonafide round 2/3 stud in your line up. 

The difference between what I see for Brady and everyone else isn't THAT big. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Dak...but Kyler is unproven...people are expecting him to put up Lamar numbers from Last year. Brady is in a good spot, and he's as competitive as they get...he's a gamer who wants to sling it, and will no doubt bring a little Belechik insight to the offense. 

I'll take Brady all day if it means getting an extra stud depth piece to trade, or cover for any COVID DNP's of the week.

This game is a marathon, and if you want to load up on starters, that's certainly one way to strategize, but you really better draft late round winners to make up for picking a top 5 QB at the spots they are going. And if you get a TE too...then you really lose out, although your starting line up is beast.

• Thanks 1

Huge year for Tom. He will be a top 5 qb when all is said and done. He hasnt had this many Legit weapons on the team at the SAME TIME. I see alot of passing yards and passing TD's with low INT numbers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

Depends on settings, but what round was lamar and jamies drafted in 2019? Mahommes in 2018? Beauty of 1 qb league is there is 32 of them and about 20 couod end up in the top 5. Those 6 you mentioned are going to cost you 2/3 picks or 5th rounders. You are passing up Metcalfs, Ridleys, etc for a position thats not worth it. Give me Brady in the 9th all day. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, FooserX said:

I don't know if I agree with that. Picking Mahomes and Lamar come at a premium...you're giving up a bonafide round 2/3 stud in your line up. 

The difference between what I see for Brady and everyone else isn't THAT big. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Dak...but Kyler is unproven...people are expecting him to put up Lamar numbers from Last year. Brady is in a good spot, and he's as competitive as they get...he's a gamer who wants to sling it, and will no doubt bring a little Belechik insight to the offense. 

I'll take Brady all day if it means getting an extra stud depth piece to trade, or cover for any COVID DNP's of the week.

This game is a marathon, and if you want to load up on starters, that's certainly one way to strategize, but you really better draft late round winners to make up for picking a top 5 QB at the spots they are going. And if you get a TE too...then you really lose out, although your starting line up is beast.

I don't know if I would recommend going after Mahomes and Lamar - as you say they are perhaps over valued.

I would target the other four. From a fantasy perspective, the QB game has seen a gradual shift in that guys that are mobile, or at the very least who present a threat as a mobile option are just able to establish a higher fantasy floor (like last year's Josh Allen, although I'm not crazy about him this year). Previously you had a couple of guys who could do that at a high level who were also effective passers, now there are just a lot more and the game is changing. True, Mahomes and Prescott don't run as much as the other four but their offensive systems are going to keep them in that group of Top 6.

From a fantasy perspective, I really think the top 6 Qbs are going to pull away from the rest of the pack this year, but as I said Brady has the right circumstances and maybe the whole offense is so explosive it doesn't matter. 

Edited by Rotofan24
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

I don't know if I would recommend going after Mahomes and Lamar - as you say they are perhaps over valued.

I would target the other four. From a fantasy perspective, the QB game has seen a gradual shift in that guys that are mobile, or at the very least who present a threat as a mobile option are just able to establish a higher fantasy floor (like last year's Josh Allen, although I'm not crazy about him this year). Previously you had a couple of guys who could do that at a high level who were also effective passers, now there are just a lot more and the game is changing. True, Mahomes and Prescott don't run as much as the other four but their offensive systems are going to keep them in that group of Top 6.

From a fantasy perspective, I really think the top 6 Qbs are going to pull away from the rest of the pack this year, but as I said Brady has the right circumstances and maybe the whole offense is so explosive it doesn't matter. 

I generally agree with your "get a top 6 QB" take. My point is after Dak it gets pretty hazy for me who else surely make up the top 6 or whatever. You can say that the likes of Kyler or Watson have a greater chance than say Brees or Ryan or Brady or Wentz. Personally I'm not taking those higher likelihood guys several rounds earlier than the latter group.

Edited by young dude

3 minutes ago, young dude said:

I generally agree with your "get a top 6 QB" take. My point is after Dak it gets pretty hazy for me who else surely make up the top 6 or whatever. You can say that the likes of Kyler or Watson have a greater chance than say Brees or Ryan or Brady or Wentz. Personally I'm not taking those higher likelihood guys several rounds earlier than the latter group.

I get why you're shaky on Kyler (young, relatively unproven) or Watson (no Hopkins). But, I think their rushing floor makes it likely that they at least equal the latter group, and I'm willing to bet that when you pair that with their arms they will provide significantly more value than the latter group from a fantasy perspective. I'm not saying it is an easy choice, but given a choice I would take those two over the latter group at a cost of several rounds. But it wouldn't be a disaster if you ended up with Brady or Wentz who I think are going later than Brees or Ryan.  

• Like 1