Corleone

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Alright. Overreactions aside. 

Who are we selling this guy for?

Hoping the Deshaun Watson owner sees a shiny name and slams accept. Might also just pick up Herbert and try to ship Lamar for a WR1.

Edited by harck

5 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

It's EARLY.......

Geez.

I know but he's had 3 duds thus far. Feel like every week we say "but it's Lamar give him time" and then next week... tons of missed passes, 1 int, and RG3 takes over in the 4th. Just bad for fantasy, and you have to imagine with their easy schedule and elite defense they feel no need to push the gas.

• Like 1

The Ravens need more competitive games. Outside of the Chiefs beat down they have been stomping teams. Their 4 wins are by an average 21 pts per game. A lot of fantasy football is game script. Hold.

9 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

The Ravens need more competitive games. Outside of the Chiefs beat down they have been stomping teams. Their 4 wins are by an average 21 pts per game. A lot of fantasy football is game script. Hold.

I'd normally agree with this logic, but if Lamar can't put up a decent game against awful teams, how do you think he's going to look against a Pittsburg, New England, or Colts D looking for blood and having a year to study him?

Edited by harck
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

It's EARLY.......

Geez.

its not just about talent, it's about the team as a whole and game script...they don't care about fantasy pts for lamar. ravens play garbage teams from here on out, he will get you a td or 2 early on (if they dont do it with the run) and then just coast the rest of the way. there can be games where raven win by 20 plus pts an lamar has no tds. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, harck said:

I'd normally agree with this logic, but if Lamar can't put up a decent game against awful teams, how do you think he's going to look against a Pittsburg, New England, or Colts D looking for blood and having a year to study 

Doubt the Ravens will be up by 2 or 3 TDs in 2nd half against them. I want to see a whole competitive 4 quarter game. 

Edited by fantasymad

The thing is, I drafted lamar for his high floor and high ceiling. He certainly still has that ceiling but the floor is worse than i couldve ever imagined. If i could package him to the dak owner for a solid piece i would much rather stream qb

2 hours ago, steakaficianado said:

Im not so sure it's the missed practice. I've watched almost every snap hes taken this season and he doesn't look good throwing the ball at all. He misses wide open receivers all the time and it looks like he rarely progresses past the first read. 

There is almost no way you can tell if he progresses past a first read watching a live broadcast because you can’t see the route combinations.  

And I know this is well known, but these coaches don’t care about your fantasy football team. 

They scored 17 points in the 1st quarter and pretty much BS’d around trying different things the rest of the game because the Bengals aren’t very good. Could they have stayed on script and beat down Cincy 48-0? Sure. But they don’t learn anything about their team that way. I think the Ravens are gonna make a trade for a receiver. 

I saw a lot of play calls that the Ravens haven’t run in games all year (some fade routes and stuff). 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alexcuse said:

He is qb14 in terms of fantasy points per game this season.  

Brutal. We took a QB2 in the 2nd/3rd round 

The "it's still early" talk is utter nonsense. He'll be very lucky to finish a top 5 QB this year, and realistically we're gonna be looking at the 7-10 range. He's a bust, plain and simple. 

Guy's a terrible passer, the league has figured him out, and now with the bum knee his rushing will take a hit as well. 

People will laugh/mock, but starting a guy on waivers last week in Fitz or Herbert next week over Lamar is actually a very legitimate question/option. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, harck said:

Hoping the Deshaun Watson owner sees a shiny name and slams accept. Might also just pick up Herbert and try to ship Lamar for a WR1.

Legit just picked up Herbert last nite. Tempted to move Lamar. 

16 hours ago, harck said:

I doubt youre getting a WR1 for Lamar. His value is at an all-time low. No one is going to take him unless they are really hurting at QB.

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

The "it's still early" talk is utter nonsense. He'll be very lucky to finish a top 5 QB this year, and realistically we're gonna be looking at the 7-10 range. He's a bust, plain and simple. 

Guy's a terrible passer, the league has figured him out, and now with the bum knee his rushing will take a hit as well. 

People will laugh/mock, but starting a guy on waivers last week in Fitz or Herbert next week over Lamar is actually a very legitimate question/option. 

Whew people are gonna learn the hard way. 

21 hours ago, TroutFister said:

its not just about talent, it's about the team as a whole and game script...they don't care about fantasy pts for lamar. ravens play garbage teams from here on out, he will get you a td or 2 early on (if they dont do it with the run) and then just coast the rest of the way. there can be games where raven win by 20 plus pts an lamar has no tds. 

I agree with this although many other good points made in here as well. 

The Ravens are built to run the ball and when they play these teams that hand away TDs by the bushel to the Raven D there's no reason to do anything other than run the ball. 

Two things are working against him at least maintaining the floor you'd expect: his knee (as mentioned) and teams scheming him differently. I'm not intelligent enough to say how, but he is seeing things this season he hasn't seen - game is not as easy for him. So DCs have been doing their jobs in the offseason. He (along with Roman and Harbaugh) needs to do his and adjust. 

I think he's smart enough to do so and good enough to do so. No one knows what happened to the knee - I've still not seen how it happened even though I looked. Maybe that's playing into it more than scheme. I didn't see much of the game but I saw some and he looked fine.

In any event - not panicking - yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I agree with this although many other good points made in here as well. 

The Ravens are built to run the ball and when they play these teams that hand away TDs by the bushel to the Raven D there's no reason to do anything other than run the ball. 

Two things are working against him at least maintaining the floor you'd expect: his knee (as mentioned) and teams scheming him differently. I'm not intelligent enough to say how, but he is seeing things this season he hasn't seen - game is not as easy for him. So DCs have been doing their jobs in the offseason. He (along with Roman and Harbaugh) needs to do his and adjust. 

I think he's smart enough to do so and good enough to do so. No one knows what happened to the knee - I've still not seen how it happened even though I looked. Maybe that's playing into it more than scheme. I didn't see much of the game but I saw some and he looked fine.

In any event - not panicking - yet.

Lamar, Harbaugh, and Greg Roman have said that what they're seeing on game day is not what they're seeing on film. So it's challenging to take advantage of team's tendencies which means it's up to the coaching staff and Lamar to make the necessary in game adjustments and it just hasn't clicked. 

They're trying to take advantage of teams loading the box and crashing hard to the outside on zone reads but the timing in the passing game is horrid right now and Greg Roman isn't doing a great job mixing things up to take the pressure off his QB. Matt Bowen on Twitter (who does film analysis) remarked that their passing game this past Sunday was way too vertical. Not enough plays where they schemed guys like Duvernay and Hollywood open underneath to open up those big play opportunities downfield. And he had a great throw to Hollywood that would've been a 30 yard TD but the defender jarred it loose, great play. Idk why, but the Ravens almost never run screens and there's rarely any "gimme" throws to steal yards. Even Mahomes has gimmes. 

We've seen Lamar still make special throws inside and outside the pocket this year (unless you're a person who only watched the Chiefs game). The consistency just isn't there. It's not really an "accuracy" issue (people who still think Lamar can't throw need to get a life). I'm mostly seeing issues with decision making and not getting the ball out on time or getting it out too early. He missed the seam route to Andrews on their first drive because he threw it way too late. 

If he's not running, I'm not interested.  Off this train ride.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, fantasymad said:

All this was true last year.  They were stomping teams; and Lamar had the highest scoring year ever. 

21 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

20 hours ago, stevieglick said:

Legit just picked up Herbert last nite. Tempted to move Lamar. 

Careful - Chargers are on bye this coming week.  Schedule got moved around from all the COVID fall out.  I grabbed the Chargers D trying to be a week ahead - jokes on me.  

• Thanks 2

On 9/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, TroutFister said:

I haven't posted on here in a long a** time, but i have lamar in a keeper (along with andrews)...and i really want no part of him going forward. I hope to trade him based on the perception that he's a top players at his position (he's not). So i'm really hoping for a big game vs washington so i can trade high. 
I have many issues but it doesn't have to do with Lamar so much as a player because he runs a ton and he will always have one of the highest or the highest floors amongst qbs. But in fantasy, you want players with high ceilings especially when you spend such large draft capital on a player. I just don't see that with lamar or anyone on the ravens for that matter.

As mentioned above they're a run first team with 3 viable backs and a stout defense. They blow out bad teams early and then just coast by running the ball and dinking and dunking with short passes with a deep pass sprinkled in every 20 plays. There's no urgency for them to rack up pts in a manner that will help you in fantasy. Why throw the ball when you have a good defense and a big lead? Some coaches like to keep the pressure on regardless of the score, not Harbaugh. He's just content with taking it easy and not pushing guys which may result in an injury...i mean it's good for real life, but fantasy, not so much. 

Against good teams, i don't see any urgency either...they're down and we continue to see the casual dink and dunk plays that don't result in any fantasy benefits for jackson. It doesn't help that he doesn't have the best receiving options, but a good qb should be able to make any nfl professional look decent. Lamar doesn't really do that because he's not accurate. 97 yards last night is just disgustingly embarrassing. I was so embarrassed of lamar and me personally for thinking so highly of him and his team. Even if he's a mediocre passer you should be throwing for more than 200 yards vs a chiefs team when you're behind. Just ugly, so painfully ugly. 

Also i'm not too optimistic that he puts up a big game vs washington either, i see about 10 other qbs having better days on week 4. Once again, the ravens are NOT good for fantasy...unless you own tucker and their def. Ravens are gonna spank washington 35-10, and lamar might have 2 tds and 25 pts...while guys like mahomes, dak, allen and russ have 40. heck i can see fitz having a much better fantasy game than lamar based on game script vs seattle. 

lol i got so much heat from fanboys for this haahahaahha