Rotoworld.com Forums

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook

He's 12th in PPG right now and only averaging 2 more ppg than joe borrow, matt ryan, drew brees, That's not great for a 2nd-3rd round qb pick. You should just cherrypick the games he played well in and claim he will only have those type of games moving forward. What happened last year isn't helping him now. The offense hasn't functioned the same

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RG3?

The team keeps trading for defensive players but signs the corpse of Dez Bryant to help LJax

Posted Images

People in here getting too hung up on dumb leagues where he went too early. Hes been good this year. Most of the games have been blow outs (and one where they got blown out). The Ravens Defense is the biggest problem to Jacksons value as they have shut down multiple pathetic offenses and scored defensive TDs which leads to a run and grind 2nd half. Won't happen against a lot of the teams coming up on their schedule. 

Edit: Buy low

Edited by Moveless
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Moveless said:

People in here getting too hung up on dumb leagues where he went too early. Hes been good this year. Most of the games have been blow outs (and one where they got blown out). The Ravens Defense is the biggest problem to Jacksons value as they have shut down multiple pathetic offenses and scored defensive TDs which leads to a run and grind 2nd half. Won't happen against a lot of the teams coming up on their schedule. 

Edit: Buy low

No, that’s not it...at least not all of it. He threw 401 passes in 15 games last year, and he’s on a 15-game pace for 405 this year. The problem isn’t that he’s throwing less because of the defense and game flow. There were a lot of blowouts in 2019, too...eight wins decided by 14 or more points. They do have four such wins already this year.

Part of the problem is he’s not as good throwing the ball this year. He had two games in 2019 with less than a 60 percent completion rate...he already has three this season. Another issue is he’s running less, in part due to the knee. His 15-game pace (again, because he only played 15 games last yr) is currently leading to 340 fewer yards and two fewer TDs, and that’s 3.0 ppg fewer by itself.

Another part of it is that we’re seeing the expected TD regression. He led the NFL last year with 36 TDs, and he did it with only 405 attempts. That was not sustainable. As of now, he’s on pace for 28ish, which accounts for another 3 ppg drop. 

I don’t think it has to do with game flow and defensive production. I believe it has to do with running less, the expected TD regression, and simply not passing as well. Not that he’s been terrible. His QB rating has dropped 14 points but is still sitting at 99...and his QBR has dropped but only 6pts. He’s not turning the ball over, but he’s just not passing as well as he did a year ago. 

Now maybe all this has already been addressed, but I didn’t read through the thread...just clicked on this last page. 

I do agree that it’s time to stop talking about where he was drafted and focus on the remainder of the season. Draft capital is ancient history already.  

Edited by Flyman75
17 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Looked WET on the live shot during Fantasy Football Now.

Very wet here for sure, but no winds at all. 

So really, much better conditions than most other games today. 

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Looked WET on the live shot during Fantasy Football Now.

Rotogrinders:

Most of the rain clears pregame (again maybe a lingering shower or two remains, but not much). With 10-15mph winds this is looking like one of the better weather games.

I'm looking at the radar right now and it 100% supports that prediction.  The rain is clearly moving out.

15 hours ago, Mingalicious said:

How are we feeling about him against Steelers. They're great against the run but are vulnerable through the air. They're linebackers are fast.

Their pass rushers are great, but their main dropback LB Devin Bush is out.  That's a huge loss.

Ya know, Lamar Jackson might be the biggest enigma I've ever seen play the QB position. Idk why he doesn't scramble more. That play where he got stripped would've been a TD if he took off. 

You'd think a guy who is such a great athlete would scramble more than Josh Allen and Gardner Minshew do. But he doesn't. It would help them a lot in the passing game too. Russell Wilson and Mahomes constantly manipulate down field defenders with their legs and Lamar rarely does this. He didn't in college either. It's very on and off. There's no in between. That got him trouble a lot today. You can't be stationary against the Steelers and the one time you weren't you scored a TD (but it got called back). And what happened to the decision making? It's always been disciplined but he's forced it SO MUCH this year. Take the underneath route. It's 1st down. Why are you lobbing the ball up to Mark Andrews with a defender in the throwing lane? 

2 minutes ago, yung_fetty said:

He had two touchdown TD runs recalled because of holding calls that practically had no effect on his runs against a very stout Pittsburgh D. I personally don't think we should be in panic mode yet

He can battle CEH for most TDs called back by penalty. He's no guarantee to smash the easy matchups and he cant overcome the tough matchups. Plays IND next week and he should be benched for most QBs except the Foles and Kyle Allen types.

1 hour ago, Deuce1042 said:

Ya know, Lamar Jackson might be the biggest enigma I've ever seen play the QB position. Idk why he doesn't scramble more. That play where he got stripped would've been a TD if he took off. 

You'd think a guy who is such a great athlete would scramble more than Josh Allen and Gardner Minshew do. But he doesn't. It would help them a lot in the passing game too. Russell Wilson and Mahomes constantly manipulate down field defenders with their legs and Lamar rarely does this. He didn't in college either. It's very on and off. There's no in between. That got him trouble a lot today. You can't be stationary against the Steelers and the one time you weren't you scored a TD (but it got called back). And what happened to the decision making? It's always been disciplined but he's forced it SO MUCH this year. Take the underneath route. It's 1st down. Why are you lobbing the ball up to Mark Andrews with a defender in the throwing lane? 

the lack of rushing is just so strange. Last season he was decisive about when he took off and generally had a good clock in his head for how long he could stay in the pocket vs when he needed to take off. This season he just stays back there and hops and hops and hops until he gets sacked. My theory (total conjecture) is they worked so much on staying in the pocket and passing from the pocket this off season it's gotten in his head and he's much less sure about when he should stay and when he should go. When he DOES run he still looks like he's on fast forward while everybody else is playing at regular speed. He really seems to be reading the game worse in his 3rd season than in his second season, which makes no sense to me. He also came in to the season with the same offensive coordinator as last season so it's not some outright change in offensive philosophy. 

19 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Greg Roman is an idiot.

Worst WR corp in football.

O line just went from bad to worse.

Maybe I introduce to you the NY Jets?

Someone on the roster (Herndon) actually finished with a negative score for a skills position player today. This... isn't impossible, but boy, is it hard. At least with Baltimore, we can definitively say Andrews and Brown are starter to good pieces on a decent team. 

1 hour ago, yung_fetty said:

He had two touchdown TD runs recalled because of holding calls that practically had no effect on his runs against a very stout Pittsburgh D. I personally don't think we should be in panic mode yet

We're way beyond panic mode. We're fully in do you still even start him mode. Feels like there are 10-15 QBs a week absolutely lighting it up, and he often times has not been one of them. 

52 minutes ago, Soafanforlife said:

Maybe I introduce to you the NY Jets?

Someone on the roster (Herndon) actually finished with a negative score for a skills position player today. This... isn't impossible, but boy, is it hard. At least with Baltimore, we can definitively say Andrews and Brown are starter to good pieces on a decent team. 

Crowder, when he plays, is more reliable than Brown. Crowder and Perriman are a better receiving corp than what the Ravens have, they're just hurt.