Corleone

Lamar Jackson 2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, TroutFister said:

i thought they established their identity last year. their identity is the run game. they're even more focused on the run this year. right, those games will be blowouts and lamar will be dinking and dunking for half those games and then have rg3 playing in the 4th quarter. 

In 3 quarters against those 4 bad teams he will easily put up top QB1 numbers.

If you trade him, you better trade him to the worst team in your league. If you make the playoffs and have to face him and that cake schedule good luck. No way I am taking that chance. 

Edited by fantasymad

he didn't do that in week 2, he wasn't top 3 in week 1 in many leagues. he and mahomes went super early because they were supposed to be slamdunk qb 1 and qb2 every week. anyways i wish everyone all the best with lamar, i'll see what i can do with him in the forthcoming weeks. i'm not here to go 'i told you so'...fantasy is mostly luck and game script but i digress. 

5 minutes ago, TroutFister said:

he didn't do that in week 2, he wasn't top 3 in week 1 in many leagues. he and mahomes went super early because they were supposed to be slamdunk qb 1 and qb2 every week. anyways i wish everyone all the best with lamar, i'll see what i can do with him in the forthcoming weeks. i'm not here to go 'i told you so'...fantasy is mostly luck and game script but i digress. 

I agree. He was drafted on the expectation that he would continue his MVP numbers. Regression was very likely. I drafted a very good backup to cover my bases. Also, I am 3-0 with Lamar if I was 1-2 or 0-3 my feelings would be different. Agree on the luck part! Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

What does "proven" mean?

Not sure if serious.

Maybe a guy that's been to a pro bowl?

if these pro bowl receivers had a qb who missed them all the time when they are wide open would they be pro bowl receivers?  

you claim its not lamars fault he cant throw him a catchable ball and it doesnt matter if hollywood is open because hes “not proven”. Well how the f can you become proven if your qb sucks??

if matt ryan over or under thew julio by 5 yards all the time when hes wide open would he be all pro julio jones??  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

if these pro bowl receivers had a qb who missed them all the time when they are wide open would they be pro bowl receivers?  

you claim its not lamars fault he cant throw him a catchable ball and it doesnt matter if hollywood is open because hes “not proven”. Well how the f can you become proven if your qb sucks??

if matt ryan over or under thew julio by 5 yards all the time when hes wide open would he be all pro julio jones??  

I'm saying his entire game can be better when he isn't the only game changer on the field.

I'm not arguing he is the best passer, I'm saying that an alpha WR would ease up everything for him. Less pressure on Lamar or not as tight of windows is a good thing. People put up with Lamar's passing deficiencies because of his rushing abilities, so since we know Lamar isn't a great passer you make it easier for him. AB creates more space than Julio Jones and draws double teams, the Hollywood Brown could work on a CB2 and Andrews doesn't draw as heavy coverage, so Lamar doesn't have to be as accurate because the constraints of the whole offense are lifted as you have another alpha out there drawing so much attention. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm saying his entire game can be better when he isn't the only game changer on the field.

I'm not arguing he is the best passer, I'm saying that an alpha WR would ease up everything for him. Less pressure on Lamar or not as tight of windows is a good thing. People put up with Lamar's passing deficiencies because of his rushing abilities, so since we know Lamar isn't a great passer you make it easier for him. AB creates more space than Julio Jones and draws double teams, the Hollywood Brown could work on a CB2 and Andrews doesn't draw as heavy coverage, so Lamar doesn't have to be as accurate because the constraints of the whole offense are lifted as you have another alpha out there drawing so much attention. 

100 percent agreed. A go-to receiver makes Lamar's life easier and hides some of his weaknesses -- mainly accuracy and ball placement. He needs to improve, but having a bunch of solid weapons and no elite ones definitely hurts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

100 percent agreed. A go-to receiver makes Lamar's life easier and hides some of his weaknesses -- mainly accuracy and ball placement. He needs to improve, but having a bunch of solid weapons and no elite ones definitely hurts. 

Both of you are missing the entire point. 

Hollywood was wide open twice. What does it matter if its a 2nd yr player of 8x pro bowler? The wr was wide open and lamar made 2 horrible throws. Calvin johnson wouldn’t have caught those passes either.   

every pro bowl or go to receiver wouldn’t have that perception if their qb stinks and cant get them the ball. Would Nuk be considered elite if Osweiler was his qb for his entire career? 

you guys keep blaming the wr when the qb is to blame. A WR’s job is to get open.  Hollywood did that. The QB’s job is to throw him a catchable ball.  Lamar didnt do that. This really isnt hard to understand. 

2 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

Hollywood was wide open twice. What does it matter if its a 2nd yr player of 8x pro bowler? The wr was wide open and lamar made 2 horrible throws. Calvin johnson wouldn’t have caught those passes either.   

every pro bowl or go to receiver wouldn’t have that perception if their qb stinks and cant get them the ball. Would Nuk be considered elite if Osweiler was his qb for his entire career? 

you guys keep blaming the wr when the qb is to blame. A WR’s job is to get open.  Hollywood did that. The QB’s job is to throw him a catchable ball.  Lamar didnt do that. This really isnt hard to understand. 

You're missing my point. Lamar needs to get better, but his deficiencies would be less obvious with a guy like Michael Thomas. You know, like how Drew Brees doesn't look as bad as he would without a beast vacuuming up every 7 yard slant cause he can't test defenses deep. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

an alpha wide receiver gets open. Lamar would still miss him with those throws. What is so hard to understand about this?

How can hollywood ever be considered an alpha wr if lamar constantly misses him when wide open? Answer that question directly (you wont).

Instead of 125yds and 2tds (Go to receiver #s) he had 13 yds (bum wr #s). but he’s still the same wr its just his qb stunk. If he had russ or 30 other qbs he wouldve had 125 yds and you could say hes elite. 

Its absurd that you keep blaming the wr who was wide open and ignoring that his qb threw him terrible passes. 

1 minute ago, Jetdog16 said:

You're missing my point. Lamar needs to get better, but his deficiencies would be less obvious with a guy like Michael Thomas. You know, like how Drew Brees doesn't look as bad as he would without a beast vacuuming up every 7 yard slant cause he can't test defenses deep. 

WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF ITS MICHAEL THOMAS IF HE STILL OVERTHROWS HIM BY 10 YARDS??????!!!  Put MT in Hollywoods position and he doesnt catch those either   

Michael thomas is michael thomas because he has a qb who can throw him catchable balls. You wouldnt consider him elite if he had 13 yd games all the time cuz his qb sucks. 

JFC this is not complicated at all. 

2 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF ITS MICHAEL THOMAS IF HE STILL OVERTHROWS HIM BY 10 YARDS??????!!!  Put MT in Hollywoods position and he doesnt catch those either   

Michael thomas is michael thomas because he has a qb who can throw him catchable balls. You wouldnt consider him elite if he had 13 yd games all the time cuz his qb sucks. 

Have you seen Drew Brees the past couple of years? His accuracy is due to MT. Lamar wouldn’t be overthrowing him.

• Like 1

Just now, cgu112 said:

Wow I can't believe you need this concept explained to you -- but there's a thing called catch radius. The best of the best have a larger catch radius thanks to their measurements, athleticism and playmaking. An elite receiver is literally always more open. They can catch passes that other guys can't or have much more trouble with. DeAndre Hopkins has caught many ugly passes over the years thanks to incredible catch radius.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

You are laser focused on 1 game. 

I look at the bigger picture, that was just 1game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Have you seen Drew Brees the past couple of years? His accuracy is due to MT. Lamar wouldn’t be overthrowing him.

Brees ain't rushing for 80-100 yards either...

16 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Wow I can't believe you need this concept explained to you -- but there's a thing called catch radius. The best of the best have a larger catch radius thanks to their measurements, athleticism and playmaking. An elite receiver is literally always more open. They can catch passes that other guys can't or have much more trouble with. DeAndre Hopkins has caught many ugly passes over the years thanks to incredible catch radius.

he underthrew him by 7 yds.  Im sure mt would've stopped sprinting. Turned around. Shoved the corner out of the way and dove 7 yards to catch it all in a split second. 

Hopkins had 111-1521-11 then next year with osweiler 78-954-4 then nexr yr no brock  back up to 96-1378-13.   

But sure qb play isnt important at all. do you even think for one second before posting this crap?

Edited by cgu112

47 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

he underthrew him by 7 yds.  Im sure mt would've stopped sprinting. Turned around. Shoved the corner out of the way and dove 7 yards to catch it all in a split second. 

Hopkins had 111-1521-11 then next year with osweiler 78-954-4 then nexr yr no brock  back up to 96-1378-13.   

But sure qb play isnt important at all. do you even think for one second before posting this crap?

Hopkins was also brilliant with Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. You're cherrypicking stats to fit a clueless argument. Take a look at Allen Robinson last season, put up big numbers despite playing with one of the worst QB's in the game. Receivers matter. 

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let us not forget the subject of this thread lead the NFL in TD passes LAST YEAR (while also shattering the QB rushing record in a mere 13 weeks).

I've decided that denial is my friend (it works great on lots of things!) and that Lamar just wanted that game too much.  He was anything but 'loose' / 'comfortable' whatever you wanna call it.  I guarantee he had yesterday's game circled as soon as the schedule came out and was just too hyped to play his normal game.

That said, if Dwayne Haskins outscores Lamar this week his a$$ will be on the Trade Block pronto!!

I want to find the replays of those missed throws to Hollywood.  Most game highlights only show the completed passes...

32 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I want to find the replays of those missed throws to Hollywood.  Most game highlights only show the completed passes...

They were bad, but not horrific. Anyone who's watched him wouldn't be terribly surprised. The one that was probably five yards underthrown was fortunate to not be an easy pick, but his inaccuracy didn't jump off the page for me last night. 

My bigger concern is if the Chiefs laid the blueprint on how to contain this offense. Stack the box, a lot of pressure, make sure the edge guys stay outside, force Lamar to beat you with his arm. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

29 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

They were bad, but not horrific. Anyone who's watched him wouldn't be terribly surprised. The one that was probably five yards underthrown was fortunate to not be an easy pick, but his inaccuracy didn't jump off the page for me last night. 

My bigger concern is if the Chiefs laid the blueprint on how to contain this offense. Stack the box, a lot of pressure, make sure the edge guys stay outside, force Lamar to beat you with his arm. 

Technically the Titans did that. It doesnt help that the Ravens D were surprisingly awful. The good thing is that they wont face a team as good as the Chiefs this season.

• Like 1

Last year: 

Sep 22 @KC Reg 70.6 22 43 51.2 267 6.2 0 0 8 46 5.8 9 1 3 18 0 0
Sep 15 ARI Reg 104.8 24 37 64.9 272 7.4 2 0 16 120 7.5 19 0 2 14 0 0
Sep 8 @MIA Reg 158.3 17 20 85.0 324 16.2 5 0 3 6 2.0 4 0 1 1 0

This year:

Sep 28 KC Reg 73.1 15 28 53.6 97 3.5 1 0 9 83 9.2 30 0 4 27 2 1
Sep 20 @HOU Reg 113.9 18 24 75.0 204 8.5 1 0 16 54 3.4 14 0 4 27 0 0
Sep 13 CLE Reg 152.1 20 25 80.0 275 11.0 3 0 7 45 6.4 16 0 2 14 1 0

Lets hope this is an indicator that he'll be fine.

8 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You are laser focused on 1 game. 

I look at the bigger picture, that was just 1game.

More like he's laser focused on one pass

8 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

Hopkins was also brilliant with Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. You're cherrypicking stats to fit a clueless argument. Take a look at Allen Robinson last season, put up big numbers despite playing with one of the worst QB's in the game. Receivers matter. 

Every single one of them are significantly better passers/ pocket qbs than lamar is. 

Edit: def not trubisky tho lol

Edited by cgu112

From watching the Ravens tape, they have some *serious* issues aggressively pushing the ball downfield against man coverage. The Chiefs were playing a lot of cover-0 and basically told Lamar, Snead, Hollywood, Boykin, and Andrews to beat them. And they couldn't. There also needs to be more attention to detail on calling out hot routes. Too many times KC blitzed and Lamar is looking to throw the ball and all the receivers backs are turned. The absence of Marshal Yanda has really hurt their interior offensive line as well. 

The personnel at receiver doesn't consistently win battles against man coverage and it's hard to ask Lamar to consistently throw into tight windows all night. Especially when he's erratic and off to a bad start. He's not Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and that's even tough for them to do. Greg Roman needs to do a better job putting his guys in positions to be successful. One being, not abandoning the running game when you're only down 6-3...and then 13-10...I don't understand this team's insistence on not sticking true to their identity when they're only down 10-14 points. You have an *explosive* running offense that was averaging 8 yards per carry. The Chiefs couldn't stop them from running the ball and Roman rarely made them try after the first drive. 

Also not a lot of route concepts that were man coverage beaters. Run more mesh concepts and crossing routes to get guys running into space (and they need to start Duvernay over Snead to get some speed on the field). Lamar didn't look good Monday *at all* but the coaching for the Ravens didn't help. That was probably the worst I've ever seen Mark Andrews play too. Catch the *expletive* ball. It hit you in the hands. Catch the ball. 

But, it happens. They'll probably beat the brakes off of the next three teams they play until they get Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1