Sign in to follow this  
mtblock

Need help with draft pick (keeper)

I have the second pick in our keeper league, and keeper picks were just finalized. 

Tatis, Machado, Bogaerts, Alvarez, Ohtani, Suarez, Whit, Paddack.

I need SP badly since Paddack and Ohtani are question marks as best. These are the SP available;

Strasbourg - he's 31 and not a model of health. I think he has to be #1 though. 

Castillo - elite, but one of our categories is k/bb which tanks his value. 

Giolito - believe the outbreak? I do. 

Darvish - I think he made a good change, but age and risk of repeatability. 

None of these guys are going to be available for my second pick. I think my rankings are Stra, Gio, Darvish, Castillo.

I also have Olson (I don't have a 1B) and Keston (I need OF and this fills a future 2B void and pushes Whit to OF) available. Thoughts on either of these? I think I have to go pitching though, because Lynn and others are too far of a step down for SP3 given my SP1 and SP2 risks. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

How long can you keep them for?

Forever. 

I usually take the best player available, and worry about needs later. They can be fixed with trades and free agents.

Hiura

Olson

Strasburg

Giolito

Castillo

Yu

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

In a keep forever league, I would definitely go with Hiura. 

And pass up SP? I wouldn't go again until Pick 19, which is looking like Darvish, Glasnow, Woodruff territory. Thats sketchy knowing Paddack won't sniff 200IP and Ohtani will be lucky to cross 120IP.  

I understand going best player availabe, but Hiura with the K rate has some warts too. 

Hiura just provides too much value to pass up on in a keeper league with no restrictions. I know Stras will be tempting, but think you have to go with Hiura. 

Little help on the below would be appreciated!

U are overthinking this. Take the best player. Forcing a pitcher or any position for that matter is unwise. Make ur pick count. Paddack should be fine as for Ohtani I am just glad I don't have to deal with his double roster takeup tags.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

U are overthinking this. Take the best player. Forcing a pitcher or any position for that matter is unwise. Make ur pick count. Paddack should be fine as for Ohtani I am just glad I don't have to deal with his double roster takeup tags.

I agree.  Take the best available player and thats Hiura.  Especially in a keep forever league.  If you absolutely must take a SP, I would take Castillo.  He is younger and just as talented as the other guys.  Strasburg got paid, are we sure he will pitch 200 innings again when hes only averaged 168 IP (200+ innings twice) the last 8 seasons?  The smart move is to draft Hiura.  Castillo is the SP for me if you really need to.  But I like Lynn to be very close to what he was last year.  Not sold on Darvish.  He was an afterthought before 2019 season, and now everyone wants him again?  Im not buying

Keep Tatis, Manny, XBog, Yordan, Suarez, Whit: Toss those other two back and keep 2 more offensive players in those spots. 

Edited by Rush2112