Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Trea Turner 2020 Outlook

Trea Turner has batted leadoff for Washington. this season could he bat 3rd with the loss of Rendon, with someone else like Eaton leadoff?

Hard to determine at this point. I'd prefer Trea at leadoff but I could see them playing around with the order a lot this season. Robles will probably get some play near the top of the order too. Maybe they try Soto at the 2 spot at times.

Either way, Trea will deliver a ton of stats, just maybe more RBI and less R. He will steal bases from any spot in the order.

FWIW, Roster Resource has Robles, Eaton, Turner, Soto as the 1-4. I'd be happy with Trea in front of either Eaton or Soto because both guys are pretty patient and will allow Trea to steal. Just don't know if they'll red light him with Soto up.

Finally, a thread for one of my players that doesn't start with injury news. Little not to like for Turner this season, even if he bats third. Nationals would be fools not to utilize his speed and his RBIs could take a nice jump.

55 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Potential to be #1 fantasy player with a good season.  I’m high on Turner this year 

Completely agree, if healthy, he's got a shot to be the #1 guy this year. Pretty remarkable the numbers he put up last year while playing with a broken finger.

162 game average-

.291/112 R/21 HR/73 RBI/53 SB

I think he gets an “injury prone” tag that may be a little unfair because this isn’t Tulo and a bunch of soft muscle injuries. Many, like last season, were fluky. Trea is close to prime Jose Reyes when healthy, and an absolute monster in roto. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

162 game average-

I think he gets an “injury prone” tag that may be a little unfair because this isn’t Tulo and a bunch of soft muscle injuries. Many, like last season, were fluky. Trea is close to prime Jose Reyes when healthy, and an absolute monster in roto. 

That line is so sexy you made me get back into Trea as I do every year. 

I'm a sucker for Turner. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

162 game average-

All Trea owners wish he can have a couple of prime Reyes years. He'll hit more HRs than Reyes but its doubtful he'll ever reach 60+ SBs, not to mention 78; not with him expected to hit 3rd.

Trea Turner confirmed Tuesday that he has spoken to Nationals manager Dave Martinez about moving from leadoff to the No. 3 spot in the lineup.

"We'll see," said Turner. "I talked to Davey briefly about it. I thought it was kind of a joke for the last month or so. But now I guess it's somewhat serious." Martinez first mentioned the idea back in mid-January and suggested that Victor Robles could potentially step in at leadoff, with Adam Eaton presumably sticking in the No. 2 hole. Such a move would likely mean fewer runs scored for Turner and possibly fewer stolen base attempts, but he could obviously see an uptick in RBI opportunities. The situation warrants monitoring through the early part of the 2020 season as the Nats navigate somewhat unfamiliar waters following the departure of Anthony Rendon.

Is he still a no-doubt top 10 guy if he’s batting 3rd instead of lead-off?  

In terms of dynasty value, where does he fall?  

5 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Someone talk to me into liking this guy. I’ve never drafted him. 

On 2/17/2020 at 5:10 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

162 game average-

tenor.gif?itemid=15049183

• Haha 4

We have some odd league settings, but he was the 5th best hitter on a per game basis last year. At possibly the deepest position in baseball, you want ceiling, right?

6 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

If there was a 27 year old infielder that you expect to hit .290 with 45 home runs and 22 steals, where would you take him?  That’s a reasonable trea year with homers and steals flipped.  Steals are much harder to get. The ceiling is higher than the above stat line. Draft him.

thats me convincing myself BUT......

1) to my recollection, the uber elite steals guys tend put up the huge numbers in their early 20s, do so for only a handful of years and then tail off. Tim Raines, Vince Coleman, Kenny lofton, Jose Reyes even Blackmon to name a few.  I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head aside from Ricky Henderson that did it for a long time.   Assuming he maintains his current profile, but goes to a 33 steals guy how does that change his draft status? Is he only rd 1 if he’s stealing 45?

2). What is the big difference between him and merrifield and villar? Obviously trea is better, but is it by that much?

3) any chance he gains eligibility anywhere else in even a 5 game league? 

Not here to knock anyones thoughs on this guy.  just here to gather information.  Thanks.

You would have to think it would impact his SB opportunities if he is moved to the 3 hole.

4 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

If there was a 27 year old infielder that you expect to hit .290 with 45 home runs and 22 steals, where would you take him?  That’s a reasonable trea year with homers and steals flipped.  Steals are much harder to get. The ceiling is higher than the above stat line. Draft him.

thats me convincing myself BUT......

1) to my recollection, the uber elite steals guys tend put up the huge numbers in their early 20s, do so for only a handful of years and then tail off. Tim Raines, Vince Coleman, Kenny lofton, Jose Reyes even Blackmon to name a few.  I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head aside from Ricky Henderson that did it for a long time.   Assuming he maintains his current profile, but goes to a 33 steals guy how does that change his draft status? Is he only rd 1 if he’s stealing 45?

2). What is the big difference between him and merrifield and villar? Obviously trea is better, but is it by that much?

3) any chance he gains eligibility anywhere else in even a 5 game league? 

Not here to knock anyones thoughs on this guy.  just here to gather information.  Thanks.

Kenny Lofton had 75 SBs at age 29, and 54 SBs at age 31. 

Tim Raines had 49 SBs at age 30, 51 SBs at age 31, and 45 SBs at age 32.

Vince Coleman had 50 SBs at age 32. 

spacer.png

This will be Trea’s age 27 season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

These guys put up those numbers over 20 years ago. I’m not saying Turner won’t put up big SB numbers in his 30s, but it’s a different game today.

11 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

These guys put up those numbers over 20 years ago. I’m not saying Turner won’t put up big SB numbers in his 30s, but it’s a different game today.

And this has nothing to do with the post made and what I was replying to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Hand wasn’t right all year.

Missed a month

And those were his numbers...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

You would have to think it would impact his SB opportunities if he is moved to the 3 hole.

From a chaos theory perspective that means 60 will finally happen.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

Vince Colmon SBs were in the 100's in the early 20's. Stole 67 at age 27.

Rains SB totals were in the 70's in the early 20's. Stole 50 at age 27

Reyes' SB totals were in the 60's in the early 20's. Stole 30 at age 27

Did you miss the part where he said EARLY 20's?

The only problem with his recollection is that Blackmon and Lofton were not MLB full time players in their early 20's.

4 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Vince Colmon SBs were in the 100's in the early 20's. Stole 67 at age 27.

Rains SB totals were in the 70's in the early 20's. Stole 50 at age 27

Reyes' SB totals were in the 60's in the early 20's. Stole 30 at age 27

Did you miss the part where he said EARLY 20's?

The only problem with his recollection is that Blackmon and Lofton were not MLB full time players in their early 20's.

No, I didn’t miss anything. “Tail off” is extremely subjective if you think 50 SBs in your 30s is tailing off. But the numbers are there. Readers can decide for themselves.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

The drop off was still substantial from their early to mid 20s and their career peak period of elite production only lasted about 4

years or so.  SB guys don’t seem to maintain their pace for whatever reason, regardless of what era they played in.   It might not be this year, in fact I doubt it will, but that sizable and noticeable sb drop off should be coming.   

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

The drop off was still substantial from their early to mid 20s and their career peak period of elite production only lasted about 4

years or so.  SB guys don’t seem to maintain their pace for whatever reason, regardless of what era they played in.   It might not be this year, in fact I doubt it will, but that sizable and noticeable sb drop off should be coming.   

No doubt power guys can go closer to 40 (Ortiz/Cruz types) and SB guys don’t. I just don’t think we’re close yet.