rhg1084

Dustin May 2020 Outlook

In Keeper and Dynasty Leagues, May is gold.

• Like 1

Not on the active roster to start the season. Have to think this is a service time move and he'll be up next week? 

19 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Not on the active roster to start the season. Have to think this is a service time move and he'll be up next week? 

He's got around two months of service time from last year, so I'm not sure how 2019 service days convert to 2020 but I doubt the week delay would save them a year with two months already on the books.

Are we worried about him not on the active roster? I read somewhere that he could possibly be called up for Buehler’s start against Houston on 7/28.

3 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Are we worried about him not on the active roster? I read somewhere that he could possibly be called up for Buehler’s start against Houston on 7/28.

Yes, that's the plan. He will piggyback with Buehler for his first 2-3 starts, beginning 7/28. May was sent down to keep an extra position player until then.

Posted (edited)

So this just a spot start, right?  As soon as Kershaw mends, May is back down right?

Edited by enyouartist

May was due to piggy-back - he will probably go a solid 3-4

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

May was due to piggy-back - he will probably go a solid 3-4

mid he pitches well and keeps his pitch count down, possibly 5

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

mid he pitches well and keeps his pitch count down, possibly 5

4.1 - close.  Not a bad outing 

If only Reynaldo Lopez could mix the movement and velocity of his pitches like Ginger-gaard

He looked great, box score doesn't really tell the story, 2 of the hits were because of the shift, and a fluky "hit" that hit off the runner, that would have been a double play if it didn't and a few bloops that got down, nothing hard hit, he had great movement on his pitches, and hit 100mph, 99mph quite a few times... sucks his next start is probably coming against Houston, ...If he could hold that rotation spot down with that offense, great things could be ahead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, enyouartist said:

So this just a spot start, right?  As soon as Kershaw mends, May is back down right?

Assuming Kershaw mends soon - he has a history of back problems. May could end up being a much bigger part of the rotation than originally planned.

If he keeps pitching like this, there is absolutely no reason he can't push Stripling back to the pen.

8 hours ago, TheChamp said:

He looked great, box score doesn't really tell the story, 2 of the hits were because of the shift, and a fluky "hit" that hit off the runner, that would have been a double play if it didn't and a few bloops that got down, nothing hard hit, he had great movement on his pitches, and hit 100mph, 99mph quite a few times... sucks his next start is probably coming against Houston, ...If he could hold that rotation spot down with that offense, great things could be ahead.

basically this.

dave roberts inexplicably shifting in the first inning on some scrub is why i'm beginning to loathe modern day baseball

1 hour ago, nittanychris said:

If he keeps pitching like this, there is absolutely no reason he can't push Stripling back to the pen.

Wouldn't bank on it unless Stirpling struggles, Stripling is quite good, a former all star, and the Dodgers feel inclined to give him a starting spot. They traded Maeda away because he wanted to start, I think at worst they want to build Stripling's trade value before moving him for an actual asset, like they got Graterol for Maeda.  Again, Stripling is pretty good too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

basically this.

dave roberts inexplicably shifting in the first inning on some scrub is why i'm beginning to loathe modern day baseball

Not a fan of the shift, but in fairness, if hitters would go the opposite way or lay down a bunt they would put an end to it in a hurry.  The absolute stubbornness of many hitters to pull everything and swing for the fences all the time is what has brought upon the widespread use of shifts.  They used to shift Ted Williams, but back then most players and management actually loathed the k.  Nowadays, if they hit 230 with 35 HRs and a 300 OBP with 200+Ks, they think they are doing good and there is an element of the stat-heads who would agree with them. 

Posted (edited)

Is May going to get two starts this week? He starts on 7/28 and Sunday 8/2 would be 5 starts later for LAD. I believe that is also the first day Kershaw is eligible to return. Edit: Looks like he was backdated to 7/20, so 7/30 is 10 days. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

7 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Is May going to get two starts this week? He starts on 7/28 and Sunday 8/2 would be 5 starts later for LAD. I believe that is also the first day Kershaw is eligible to return. Edit: Looks like he was backdated to 7/20, so 7/30 is 10 days. 

multiple variables here..the first one is the health of kershaw

On 7/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, nittanychris said:

Yeah to sort of echo what Brock said, I would not expect Strip to go down without a sizeable fight--dude can flat out pitch.

Look, I like May a bunch, but even with how generally impressive he looked in the spot start, he is basically a 2 pitch guy--both extraordinarily firm (and curve lags far behind). I have had eyes on a bunch of his work, but he is still a ways off from a finished product (with plenty good reason!)...I like his future, but there are gonna be nights he can't get it all together, regardless of his extreme HEAT.