Sign in to follow this  
thebestpr21

Keeper Help Needed WHIR!

Need help and different thinking on keepers. 

Standard Yahoo H2H league with QS instead of W. You keep 5 players. Can keep a player for 5 years. 

i’m thinking Cole, Bregman and Mondesi are locked in as keepers. There’s a good amount of top players becoming FAs, that’s why Im not completely sure on Degrom. But leaning towards it to have a killer 1-2 with him and Cole. 

Here are my options. Number in left is draft/keeper round. You lose that round on the draft. 

2 - Degrom

5 - Gerritt Cole 

9 - Bieber

13 - Matt Olson

14 - Ryu

19 - Mondesi 

20 -  Bregman 

22 - Ketel Marte

22 - Casey Mize

TIA. WHIR!

30 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

I’d go Cole, Bieber, Mondesi, Bergman and Marte.

Thanks a lot. After last season, Im really considering Marte as a keeper. He was a beast and at last round keeper, risk is very low. I would be set in the IF with a lot of flexibility. I just dont know if I can do Marte over Degrom with having bregman and mondesi. Those are the kind of thoughts Im struggling with. Really appreciate your inputs.

• Like 1

Olson, Mondesi, Bregman, Ketel Marte are locks: Find another offensive player on you're team for the 5th spot. 

7 minutes ago, thebestpr21 said:

Thanks a lot. After last season, Im really considering Marte as a keeper. He was a beast and at last round keeper, risk is very low. I would be set in the IF with a lot of flexibility. I just dont know if I can do Marte over Degrom with having bregman and mondesi. Those are the kind of thoughts Im struggling with. Really appreciate your inputs.

It’s about value. Low risk high reward with Marte. With a second round pick, you can get a really good player, heck, there’s a slight chance DeGrom falls back to you. It’s a good problem to have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, superman100679 said:

I would say Cole, deGrom, Bregman, Mondesi, and Marte

These were the ones I had initially. Now bringing back Bieber and Olson as options. With the feedback received, now Thinking Marte is a strong candidate for keeper # 4 with cole, bregman and mondesi. That would leave Degrom, Bieber and Olson (A’s) for the last spot. Or Marte, Degrom, Bieber and olson to pick two. Really not sure.

These are easy for me, and based on value alone.  Like Hootie once said, its not about names all the time but VALUE.  

Mondesi, Bregman, and Marte are absolute locks.  Insane value at rounds 19, 20, 22 for those 3.

The other 2 are Cole and Bieber.  Why keep DeGrom in round 2 when you can just draft another great player there.  You wont get the caliber of player of a Bieber, who is just a notch below DeGrom, in the 9th round.  So those 5 are easy choices for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheTruth024 said:

These are easy for me, and based on value alone.  Like Hootie once said, its not about names all the time but VALUE.  

Mondesi, Bregman, and Marte are absolute locks.  Insane value at rounds 19, 20, 22 for those 3.

The other 2 are Cole and Bieber.  Why keep DeGrom in round 2 when you can just draft another great player there.  You wont get the caliber of player of a Bieber, who is just a notch below DeGrom, in the 9th round.  So those 5 are easy choices for me.

Thanks a lot. It definitely makes a lot sense. Im struggling mainly because I love the idea of having two studs with ridiculous K/9 numbers in the top of my rotation. But I get it, value wise, doesnt make sense to get Degrom at 2 when I could potentially still get him there in the draft. Only if I knew what pick I had in the draft before deciding keepers. Thats would help me a lot. Thanks again for the help.

32 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

This

Those 4 are locks

Only real debate is bieber or olson?

• Like 1

I'd go bregman, Mondesi, Marte, Cole, and Bieber.  You said it yourself that there would be a lot of talent in the free agent pool so I would hold onto that second round pick in case I wanted to go in a different direction then Degrom.  Thx for help with mine!

In H2H SB‘s aren’t really worth much, even in a cats league. If you have a player who helps in every category and also does in SB‘s then sure, but not if his only real value is SB‘s. Starting pitching is key in H2H.

Cole, DeGrom, Bieber are locks.  Bregman too. That leaves you with Olson, Ryu, Mondesi, Marte. Ryu is too injury prone and is a major problem in a H2H league due to this. His fastball velocity is on decline too. Mondesi is mostly worthless (see what I wrote above). That leaves you with Olson and Marte. Olson has terrible contact but has elite power, Marte peaked last year but us solid all-around. I‘d base this on round value and just go with Marte.

Edited by Thenewwildone8

6 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

In H2H SB‘s aren’t really worth much, even in a cats league. If you have a player who helps in every category and also does in SB‘s then sure, but not if his only real value is SB‘s. Starting pitching is key in H2H.

Cole, DeGrom, Bieber are locks.  Bregman too. That leaves you with Olson, Ryu, Mondesi, Marte. Ryu is too injury prone and is a major problem in a H2H league due to this. His fastball velocity is on decline too. Mondesi is mostly worthless (see what I wrote above). That leaves you with Olson and Marte. Olson has terrible contact but has elite power, Marte peaked last year but us solid all-around. I‘d base this on round value and just go with Marte.

Thanks for the help. I was actually thinking Mondesi provides multi cat help in R, 3B, SB and also some power. Maybe I need to go back and re-assess. But I see what you mean about the SB value in H2H. Thx again. 

Edited by thebestpr21

5 minutes ago, thebestpr21 said:

Thanks for the help. I was actually thinking Mondesi provides multi cat help in R, 3B, SB and also some power. Maybe I need to go back and re-assess. But I see what you mean about the SB value in H2H. Thx again. 

No problem man. Well the problem is that Mondesi is very unreliable and injury prone. Suppose he gets dropped in the batting order or misses significant time? He might stay healthy, but his projections aren’t good to be honest and that would mean passing up on one of the better players that you have.

I would go with Cole, Bieber, Mondesi, Bergman and Marte.

Update. Im pretty sure Im going to go with Cole, Bregman, Mondesi and marte as 4 of 5 keepers.

For the 5th, decision is between Degrom in Rd 2 and Bieber in Rd 9. The way my league treats SP, its almost certain that Degrom wont make it to Rd 2 in the draft. I think he’ll be picked between 5-8 in Rd 1. 

So the questions and arguments/justification Im struggling with are:

1. Is having a monster 1-2 punch at SP with Degrom and Cole (high K, QS, K/9, etc) worth not having a pick on Rd 2.

2. I believe there’s a significant difference between Degrom and bieber, but is it or will be enough to justify and outvalue the earlier pick?

3. I like Bieber, and him pitching well last yeast wasnt really a surprise for me. However, Dominating the way he did was. Is he going to continue that or regress a bit?

Im very close to a decision and wanted to throw this out there for discussion. Thanks again. I WHIR if you need help. 

Bieber

A 7 round difference is too much too pass on imo

DeGrom is great. But losing 2nd round pick, takes away.

Sorry for the very tardy reply and thanks for your help with mine. Not sure if you have locked in your Keepers but I would keep:

Cole, Bregman, Mondesi, Marte. I admit I'm not high on Mondesi but for that Round value it's a no brainer. Mondesi plays on a bad team but will likely get you 40 SBs but may not do much more. 

The question of DeGrom or Bieber? Bieber has great value at rd 9 and matched DeGrom in durability (33 starts), QS and K's last season. I dont know if he will replicate all that success but in a "juiced" ball year that was pretty darn good. 

Because it is a 7 round difference and 5 year contracts I would go with Bieber. Unless DeGrom someone how slips to you which you said is unlikely you could look to land a SP in the 3 or 4th rd to solidify your rotation...

Bieber you’re getting insane value from. I would rather miss out on DeGrom and get another stud plus Biebs

On 2/17/2020 at 6:32 PM, thebestpr21 said:

Need help and different thinking on keepers. 

Standard Yahoo H2H league with QS instead of W. You keep 5 players. Can keep a player for 5 years. 

i’m thinking Cole, Bregman and Mondesi are locked in as keepers. There’s a good amount of top players becoming FAs, that’s why Im not completely sure on Degrom. But leaning towards it to have a killer 1-2 with him and Cole. 

Here are my options. Number in left is draft/keeper round. You lose that round on the draft. 

2 - Degrom

5 - Gerritt Cole 

19 - Mondesi 

20 -  Bregman 

22 - Ketel Marte

TIA. WHIR!