jmcampbe11

Tiered OF Rankings

In the same spirit of my other thread I took a stab at tiered OF rankings. This assumes a 10 team roto league with five OF slots and a Utility slot so I ranked 60+ players. I included DH eligible players too just because I hate ranking them separately. Thoughts? Anyone out of place or any glaring omissions?

TIER 1

Trout, Acuna, Yelich, Bellinger, Betts

TIER 2

Soto, Martinez, Harper, Judge

TIER 3

Alvarez (DH), Springer, S. Marte, Stanton, Blackmon, Meadows

TIER 4

K. Marte, Bryant, Jimenez, Gallo, Merrifield, Rosario

TIER 5

Ozuna, Cruz (DH), Soler, Castellanos, Pham, Brantley, Laureano, Mancini, Conforto, McNeil, Robles, Robert, Kepler, Benintendi

TIER 6

Puig (assuming he signs), F.Reyes, Mercado, Aquino, Dahl, Cain, M.Smith, L.Gurriel, Schwarber, Calhoun. JD Davis

TIER 7

Pederson, Buxton, Kingery, Dozier, Upton McCutchen, Renfroe, Senzel, Tucker, Verdugo, Reynolds, Canha, Mazara, Hays, Adell

• Like 1

Good list.  I'd consider Gregory Polanco who is coming back healthy this season for a Tier 7.  Also Tommy Edmond should play most of his games in RF this year so I think he should be considered too.

• Like 1

Another good list. Couple changes I'd make

Soto moved from T2 to T1

Judged moved from T2 to T3

Ozuna moved from T5 to T4

I see lots of late value here. Tier 6/7 is dripping with guys that should do well on paper.. but there comes question marks. Can Buxton finally stay healthy? Was on pace for a great season until his injury. Can Aquino keep mashing? JD Davis also seems like a great late round value.

• Like 1

I'd add in darkhorse Mike Yastrzemski to the bottom tier too who had 21 homers in half a season with SF where his home park is not hitter friendly.  Maybe we should have a darkhorse tier hah.  Also Adam Eaton who was Bryan Reynolds in homers before Bryan Reynolds became Bryan Reynolds.  But Eaton still steals into the double digits a little which Reynolds can't do.

54 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Good list.  I'd consider Gregory Polanco who is coming back healthy this season for a Tier 7.  Also Tommy Edmond should play most of his games in RF this year so I think he should be considered too.

Agree on both. Particularly intrigued by Polanco as a last pick type flyer now that he's finally healthy. Could provide sneaky 20 / 20 value. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Soto belongs in tier 1. He's arguably a better hitter than Betts, he just doesn't steal as many bags. 

I love Soto, but I couldn't convince myself that he's JD Martinez in a non-points league. Also, can't ignore Betts SB potential. 

26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'd add in darkhorse Mike Yastrzemski to the bottom tier too who had 21 homers in half a season with SF where his home park is not hitter friendly.  Maybe we should have a darkhorse tier hah.  Also Adam Eaton who was Bryan Reynolds in homers before Bryan Reynolds became Bryan Reynolds.  But Eaton still steals into the double digits a little which Reynolds can't do.

Have no problem adding Eaton and Yaz to the bottom tier. 

46 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Another good list. Couple changes I'd make

Soto moved from T2 to T1 - It's hard for me to justify this because I can't differentiate between him an JD Martinez.

Judged moved from T2 to T3 - This is probably justifiable. 

Ozuna moved from T5 to T4 - Agree with this. I'm moving him up. 

I see lots of late value here. Tier 6/7 is dripping with guys that should do well on paper.. but there comes question marks. Can Buxton finally stay healthy? Probably not, but at that price it's worth the risk. Was on pace for a great season until his injury. Can Aquino keep mashing? I'm not a believer. JD Davis also seems like a great late round value. Love him. 

• Like 1

The player I wrestled with the most was Benintendi. I can very close to bumping him to tier 6. It's amazing how underwhelming his numbers have been for the last two seasons. 

Nice list! 

I’d probably have Bryant and Meadows swap tiers, seems like Meadows still has things to prove like 2 of the other Tier 4 guys he’d be joining, K Marte and Jimenez

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

The player I wrestled with the most was Benintendi. I can very close to bumping him to tier 6. It's amazing how underwhelming his numbers have been for the last two seasons. 

I'm bullish, I'd consider him for tier 4. He'd be a huge redraft target for me and a dynasty buy low.

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm bullish, I'd consider him for tier 4. He'd be a huge redraft target for me and a dynasty buy low.

Same, mainly because last season has to be the floor...right? ADP is 97 in ESPN, which is probably a bit rich, but he's essentially a value play this year. Looking like he'll lead off, as well. I'll be watching him closely this spring.

2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Same, mainly because last season has to be the floor...right? ADP is 97 in ESPN, which is probably a bit rich, but he's essentially a value play this year. Looking like he'll lead off, as well. I'll be watching him closely this spring.

That's too rich for my blood. He's getting dangerously close to David Dahl territory for me. 

Edited by jmcampbe11

2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Seems great at 97 honestly, assuming 5 OF or deep league. OF in 10-12 team leagues with 3 spots have such high replacement value on the WW that whatever, it wont be a big loss. 

Enjoyed the rankings.  Wonder what led to Aquino's ranking though?  Is he even going to get a starting gig at this point? 

24 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Enjoyed the rankings.  Wonder what led to Aquino's ranking though?  Is he even going to get a starting gig at this point? 

I have my doubts. That is one CROWDED outfield. I might bump him down a tier depending on how things shake out in spring training. 

• Thanks 1

Nope. Starlin Marte should definitely be in Tier 2. He is 20/30 threat. 

21 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Nope. Starlin Marte should definitely be in Tier 2. He is 20/30 threat. 

I think it's a bit too optimistic to expect him to start stealing more bases again at age 31. 20 / 20 sure, but 20 / 30 seems like a stretch. I stand by my tiering of him. Soto, JD, Harper, and Judge will all be more valuable OFs this season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Canha is tier 6 could prove to be tier 4 or 5 soon . 

I agree. I wrestled with moving him up a tier. Solid late round player to target. He was amazing for the last few months of 2019. 

• Like 1