jmcampbe11

Tiered 3B Rankings

Tiered Ranking for 3B for 10 team standard roto leagues with 3B, Corner Infield, and Utility slots. I really wrested with Tiers 3 and 4. It came down to the limited power upside for some of the Tier 4 players without the added benefit of SBs to balance it out. I fully expect regression for guys like Gurriel and LeMahieu and I'm not sure Guerrero, McNeil, and Turner have more than 20 HR upside. Maybe I'm wrong...

Tier 1 

Arenado, Bregman, Devers, Ramirez, Rendon

Tier 2

Bryant, Machado, Moncada

Tier 3

Donaldson, Chapman, Suarez, Moustakas, Muncy, Escobar

Tier 4

Y. Gurriel, Guerrero, LeMahieu, McNeil, Turner, Sano

Tier 5

JD. Davis, D. Santana, Andujar, Dozier, Kingery, McMahon

• Like 1

Sano Tier 3

Escobar tier 4

Suarez tier 2

Gurriel tier 5

Kingery tier 4

Everyone in tier 4 is light years ahead of Yuli.  Dude was a massive fluke.  S*** singles hitter who magically popped for tons of homers.  I’ll bet anyone who wants to PM me to discuss he doesn’t touch 20 homers.  As a Machado owner in dynasty I’m taking a handful of guys over him behind him.  Vlad Jr should be up a bit.  Overall 3B looks pretty deep.  Also thanks for not putting Kyle Seager anywhere near that list.  Guy is atrocious.  

• Like 1

Tier 

Ramirez, Arenado, Devers, Bregman

Tier 2

Bryant, Rendon, Guerrero, Moncada

Tier 3

Donaldson, Machado, Chapman, Suarez, Moustakas, 

Tier 4

LeMahieu, McNeil, Sano, Turner

Tier 5

Andujar, Kingery, Edman

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Everyone in tier 4 is light years ahead of Yuli.  Dude was a massive fluke.  S*** singles hitter who magically popped for tons of homers.  I’ll bet anyone who wants to PM me to discuss he doesn’t touch 20 homers.  As a Machado owner in dynasty I’m taking a handful of guys over him behind him.  Vlad Jr should be up a bit.  Overall 3B looks pretty deep.  Also thanks for not putting Kyle Seager anywhere near that list.  Guy is atrocious.  

Not to mention that Gurriel isn’t even eligible for 3B.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

As a Machado owner in dynasty I’m taking a handful of guys over him behind him.  Vlad Jr should be up a bit.  Overall 3B looks pretty deep.

Not sure if I’m reading this correctly but who exactly would you put Machado in front of in Tier 1? Any thoughts on why you expect him to bounce back?

41 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

42 games at 3b last year. Not sure what kind of league would not qualify at 3b in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Not sure if I’m reading this correctly but who exactly would you put Machado in front of in Tier 1? Any thoughts on why you expect him to bounce back?

Sorry that was bad English.  I like Machado to rebound but I’m taking guys who are ranked behind him over him.  I’d prefer Moncada, Donaldson, Chapman.  Manny’s road to stats will be a long windy road.  Lineup is good, Park sucks.  Never been overly enamored with his talent level either.  I think he’s a very good player, never saw a star caliber talent.  He’s a volume guy.  Any injury and the season is likely derailed. He needs 150+ games to get you back an ROI.  Not a lot of upside for more.  In tier 2 there id take some others over him or wait for a McNeil, DJ etc.  

Edited by Cmilne23

Vlad is a Tier 3 guy for me. He hasn’t shown enough to put him in Tier 2. I’ll most likely end up with someone from Tier 3. Lots of solid 3B with appealing ADP. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Gurriel is 3B eligible in ESPN leagues. 

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Vlad is a Tier 3 guy for me. He hasn’t shown enough to put him in Tier 2. I’ll most likely end up with someone from Tier 3. Lots of solid 3B with appealing ADP. 

I have a very hard time distinguishing between him, Turner, and McNeil. They all seem like the same player to me with the same amount of upside. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Tier 

Ramirez, Arenado, Devers, Bregman / I'm not sure how you can justify ranking Devers in Tier 1, but not Rendon. Rendon has a longer track record then Devers. At worst they're equal. So if you bump Rendon down to Tier 2 you have to do the same with Devers. 

Tier 2

Bryant, Rendon, Guerrero, Moncada - What has Guerrero done to justify being grouped in this Tier? Rotochamp has him projected for .290 BA / 24 HRs / 80 RBIs. That's much closer to Tier 4 production for me. If you want to bump him up a tier just based on his pedigree that's fine, but two tiers seems extreme. 

Tier 3

Donaldson, Machado, Chapman, Suarez, Moustakas, Too much hate for Machado. His absolute floor is the ceiling for most of the players in this Tier. That's why I think he belongs a Tier above. 

Tier 4

Tier 5

Andujar, Kingery, Edman

A few notes / questions above. 

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I held Kyle Seager's fantasy funeral a few years ago. Did the same for Daniel Murphy this year. They won't be on any of my teams. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Tier 

Ramirez, Arenado, Devers, Bregman

Tier 2

Bryant, Rendon, Guerrero, Moncada

Tier 3

Donaldson, Machado, Chapman, Suarez, Moustakas, 

Tier 4

Tier 5

Andujar, Kingery, Edman

Your quotes on Rendon:

Worst signing this offseason. His defense is no longer elite (look at his dWAR the last 2 years), had his big year in a contract year with a juiced ball, has an injury history... easy pass at any ADP that puts him in the first 100 picks.

2. Rendon is not even the 10’th best 3B in fantasy.

Yet you rank him 6th. Makes sense.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Your quotes on Rendon:

Worst signing this offseason. His defense is no longer elite (look at his dWAR the last 2 years), had his big year in a contract year with a juiced ball, has an injury history... easy pass at any ADP that puts him in the first 100 picks.

2. Rendon is not even the 10’th best 3B in fantasy.

Yet you rank him 6th. Makes sense.

Yeah I don't get why someone would downgrade someone like Rendon or even Freeman (in the 1B thread). With an early round pick you're either paying for consistency or upside. Rendon and Freeman seem about as consistent as they come. Also, why are we even talking about dWAR in a fantasy baseball thread. As long as his defense isn't so bad that they can't play him at 3B then it really doesn't even matter from a fantasy perspective. I live in the Baltimore / DC Metro areas so I've seen plenty of Rendon ABs over the years. He's one of the best hitters in the game. 

17 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Tiered Ranking for 3B for 10 team standard roto leagues with 3B, Corner Infield, and Utility slots. I really wrested with Tiers 3 and 4. It came down to the limited power upside for some of the Tier 4 players without the added benefit of SBs to balance it out. I fully expect regression for guys like Gurriel and LeMahieu and I'm not sure Guerrero, McNeil, and Turner have more than 20 HR upside. Maybe I'm wrong...

Tier 1 

Arenado, Bregman, Devers, Ramirez, Rendon

Tier 2

Bryant, Machado, Moncada

Tier 3

Donaldson, Chapman, Suarez, Moustakas, Muncy, Escobar

Tier 4

Y. Gurriel, Guerrero, LeMahieu, McNeil, Turner, Sano

Tier 5

JD. Davis, D. Santana, Andujar, Dozier, Kingery, McMahon

I slept on it and I'm seriously thinking about swapping Moncada and Suarez. Thoughts? I think the injury initially worried me, but maybe I overreacted a bit. I'm also not as bullish on Moncada. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I slept on it and I'm seriously thinking about swapping Moncada and Suarez. Thoughts? I think the injury initially worried me, but maybe I overreacted a bit. I'm also not as bullish on Moncada. 

FWIW I'd rather have Suarez over Bryant given their respective ADPs. You can get Suarez almost a round later than Bryant and and all you're really losing is 10-15 runs from Bryant and gaining 10+ HRs and 15-20 more RBIs from Suarez. I'm fine with Moncada being at the end of that 2nd tier given his power/speed upside. 

Was listening to Bat Flip Crazy pod and they made a great point about JD: He really needs to be downgraded significantly because Dom Smith at the outset will be given the strong side of that platoon. Sure with injuries he’ll probably end with with around 450 PAs but the situation hasn’t changed much from last year when you think about it.

Glad people undervalue Saurez. [...] Saurez stats are going in a positive direction where as someone like Bryant is all over the place.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Was listening to Bat Flip Crazy pod and they made a great point about JD: He really needs to be downgraded significantly because Dom Smith at the outset will be given the strong side of that platoon. Sure with injuries he’ll probably end with with around 450 PAs but the situation hasn’t changed much from last year when you think about it.

I Dis-agree. Defense is going to play a role in who gets bigger PT. While both do not have great range. JD has a VERY strong arm that is going give way more room for defensive error.  3B tend to transition better into corner OF then the 1B/OF types because of the arm strength factor.

All he has to do is hit about as well as Smith and he will get the big stick.

26 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm not sure I buy this. I don't think Smith can cut it in the OF and I think they'll find a way to get JD ABs. We're only talking about a late round flyer too so I think it's worth the risk. There's also still a chance the Mets trade Smith. They've been shopping him this off seaosn. 

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

FWIW I'd rather have Suarez over Bryant given their respective ADPs. You can get Suarez almost a round later than Bryant and and all you're really losing is 10-15 runs from Bryant and gaining 10+ HRs and 15-20 more RBIs from Suarez. I'm fine with Moncada being at the end of that 2nd tier given his power/speed upside. 

If their price is the same, who do you rank higher (Bryant/Suarez)?

26 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I'm not sure I buy this. I don't think Smith can cut it in the OF and I think they'll find a way to get JD ABs. We're only talking about a late round flyer too so I think it's worth the risk. There's also still a chance the Mets trade Smith. They've been shopping him this off seaosn. 

You should be a least a little concerned and that's not even addressing Cespedes.  Don't forget Dom didn't get ST to get reps in OF last year.  JD Davis was pretty brutal there so I can't see Smith being that much worse.  And JD isn't late round he's still 170 and that's not too far from McMahon, Turner, and Dozier none of whom have PT concerns (or at least like JD).  I also think the Mets would have traded Smith by now fwiw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

If their price is the same, who do you rank higher (Bryant/Suarez)?

It sounds like it definitely be Suarez for him. For me, it would be Bryant, but it's very close. Suarez's injury was the tie breaker for me. 

2 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

It sounds like it definitely be Suarez for him. For me, it would be Bryant, but it's very close. Suarez's injury was the tie breaker for me. 

Also have to wonder if Bryant steps it up as he approaches a potential mega deal in the near future.