jmcampbe11

Tiered 2B Rankings

Tiered 2B rankings for standard 10 team roto leagues. This assumes both 2B and MI starting positions are required. Some general thoughts. I really believe that Torres is a step ahead of the everyone else. The only one I see possibly challenging him for that top slot is Hiura. I'm also expecting regressions for both Altuve and Marte. I'd personally consider drafting Torres or Hiura early and if I miss out on them both of them I'd wait and happily take anyone from Tier 3 as my starting 2B. From that group I like Muncy the most. 

TIER 1

Torres

TIER 2

Altuve, Albies, Marte, Hiura, Villar

TIER 3

Merrifield, LeMahieu, Moustakas, McNeil, Muncy, Escobar

TIER 4

Biggio, Lux

TIER 5

Lowe, McMahon, Edman, Odor, Newan

• Like 2

Altuve, Albies, Marte > Torres. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Who is tiered and why are his rankings so important. What is this guy fantasy resume 

You realized the rankings are "tiered" and it's not a person's name right? And these are my own personal rankings so you can do with them what you will. They were just meant for discussion purposes.

For context I've been playing fantasy baseball for 20+ years. Mostly limited to shallow (10 team) roto leagues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Altuve, Albies, Marte > Torres. 

Altuve - Coming off a career high in HRs in a year where everyone knows they cheated. I'm expecting a regression to the 15 - 20 HR mark and less than 10 SBs. if you don't think he's going to win the batting title, to make up for the power regression, then he's not better than Torres. 

Albies - The few extra SBs don't make up for the big difference in HRs between the two. 

Marte - Let me see him hit 30+ HRs again and then we can talk.

2 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

No love for Luis Arraez? I’d take him over most of those Tier 5ers

I'm not a big fan, but have no problem adding him to the bottom tier. I personally don't think he'll show enough power or speed to be rostered in shallow leagues. 

7 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

No love for Luis Arraez? I’d take him over most of those Tier 5ers

Arraez seems format dependent. He'll rack up points, but not exactly a 5 category stud for roto.

Edited by Bigfische

10 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Altuve - Coming off a career high in HRs in a year where everyone knows they cheated. I'm expecting a regression to the 15 - 20 HR mark and less than 10 SBs. if you don't think he's going to win the batting title, to make up for the power regression, then he's not better than Torres. 

Albies - The few extra SBs don't make up for the big difference in HRs between the two. 

Marte - Let me see him hit 30+ HRs again and then we can talk.

Same could be said for Torres.

8 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

He's only 23 though and was the top prospect in the game a few years back. He also hit 24 HRs in 431 ABs the year prior. Marte is older (26) and his previous career high in HRs was 14. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

He's only 23 though and was the top prospect in the game a few years back. He also hit 24 HRs in 431 ABs the year prior. Marte is older (26) and his previous career high in HRs was 14. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

I appreciate what you've done with these threads. I know it takes time and you've given a lot thought into these personal rankings.

My thought: Marte is better than you're giving credit for. He doubled his launch angle in 2019, as well as doubling his barrel rate. He's always shown fantastic contact skills, but he just pounded the ball into the ground. He adjusted in 2019 (he showed signs of breaking out in the second half of 2018). What he did in 2019 is who he is now. Honestly, he could be even better if he improves his launch angle even more... to something like 15% instead of his current 11.5% (5.5% in 2018).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

I appreciate what you've done with these threads. I know it takes time and you've given a lot thought into these personal rankings.

My thought: Marte is better than you're giving credit for. He doubled his launch angle in 2019, as well as doubling his barrel rate. He's always shown fantastic contact skills, but he just pounded the ball into the ground. He adjusted in 2019 (he showed signs of breaking out in the second half of 2018). What he did in 2019 is who he is now. Honestly, he could be even better if he improves his launch angle even more... to something like 15% instead of his current 11.5% (5.5% in 2018).

Completely get what you're saying and I like Marte quite a bit. I think the only 2Bs I'd take over him are Torres and Hiura. 

4 minutes ago, dcristia said:

No love for Solak? He's performed at every level

He’s not 2B eligible in most platforms, and it doesn’t look like he’ll play much 2B this year.

5 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Who is tiered and why are his rankings so important. What is this guy fantasy resume 

This is a forum to discuss fantasy baseball stuff and pre-season especially some people make threads somewhat like this.  It's both interesting and fun.  If you don't like his rankings make your own and open it up for discussion here.

And also.  Thanks for making these jmcampbe11.  I for one am enjoying them.

Having said that yeah Marte needs to move up one, hah.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

No way should Torres be a sole Tier 1 option. I don't even know if he's Tier 1, i respect him there but by himself? Maybe if he played the Orioles for 162.

• Like 5

2B is kind of interesting because so many of the say 2b1 guys having multiple position eligibility - I think I counted 14 of my top 20 can be slotted elsewhere so its one of those things in an auction or draft where its hard sometimes to find the "baseline" or what I call the $1 line or the Do Not Draft line 

I dont think there is a top tier, I actually have about 7-8 guys in a top tier that depending on your needs I can see people going with.  

I'd put Michael Chavis in the mix.  He is slated to split time between 2B and 1B this season so will qualify at both and is more needed as a 2B in most leagues I imagine.

• Like 1

courtesy reminder that Ozzie Albies was tied for the 3rd highest sprint speed among 2B with over 100 opportunities (Garrett Hampson blew everyone away). 
He also stole 20+ bags in each of his four Minor League seasons (22, 29, 30, 21) in what equated to just 388 at-bats per season. 
Now he is coming off consecutive 40+ double, 24-homer seasons in a talented lineup.
He is locked in to full at-bats, and projects to hit second, sandwiched between Acuna and Freeman, Ozuna. 
He was born January 7, 1997 and will not turn 30 until the year 2027, by which time, there likely will not be an internet in which to discuss him. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

courtesy reminder that Ozzie Albies was tied for the 3rd highest sprint speed among 2B with over 100 opportunities (Garrett Hampson blew everyone away). 
He also stole 20+ bags in each of his four Minor League seasons (22, 29, 30, 21) in what equated to just 388 at-bats per season. 
Now he is coming off consecutive 40+ double, 24-homer seasons in a talented lineup.
He is locked in to full at-bats, and projects to hit second, sandwiched between Acuna and Freeman, Ozuna. 
He was born January 7, 1997 and will not turn 30 until the year 2027, by which time, there likely will not be an internet in which to discuss him. 

Ozzie has to prove himself until 2025 to earn a Major League contract. I expect five years of fire.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

Torres hit at a 30HR/600PA rate his rookie year as a 21 year old, and then hit 38 HRs as a 22 year old in his first full season. If you don't believe that he's a legitimate 30+ HR hitter then I don't know what to tell you

• Like 1

2b is my punt this year outside moose and escobar for cheap/fair prices. id roll with lux, gurriel (2b on yahoo) and biggio and invest elsewhere

9 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Does tommy edman even have a full time job?  

I think he has three, hah.  I suggested him in the outfield thread as well.

12 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Does tommy edman even have a full time job?  

I think he'll play enough (at different positions) to be fantasy relevant.