jmcampbe11

Tiered C Rankings

Recommended Posts

Tiered catcher rankings for standard 10 team roto leagues. This assumes it's a one catcher league. Best early round value - Sanchez. There's no reason he should be going so much later than Realmuto. Best mid-round value - Contreras. Most overrated player - Smith. He's a seriously flawed hitter and being drafted as if he's a Tier 2 type player. Best late round value - Ramos. He should play a bit more this season if the plan to have him catch for Syndergaard holds up. If that happens I expect a slight uptick in his counting stats. 

TIER 1

Realmuto, Sanchez

TIER 2

Grandal, Contreras, Garver

TIER 3

Smith, Perez

TIER 4

Ramos, Navarez, Vazquez

TIER 5

Kelly, Murphy, Molina, Alfaro, Meija

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Garver and Sanchez are closer than that. Sanchez may have a bit more consistent power, but he's constantly getting hurt. Garver has all around skills with a much higher OBP (.316 vs .365 last year). Sanchez may be better (and will probably have a higher avg and OBP), but with the ADP difference, Garver is the better buy. I see people reaching for Sanchez, and outside of Realmuto, its better to wait for Tier 2. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mtblock said:

I think Garver and Sanchez are closer than that. Sanchez may have a bit more consistent power, but he's constantly getting hurt. Garver has all around skills with a much higher OBP (.316 vs .365 last year). Sanchez may be better (and will probably have a higher avg and OBP), but with the ADP difference, Garver is the better buy. I see people reaching for Sanchez, and outside of Realmuto, its better to wait for Tier 2. 

 

The rankings are for standard roto leagues. OBP, while nice, doesn't really factor in. I have no qualms with passing on the top two and waiting on Garver though. I personally still prefer Contreras over him. Grandal and Garver is a coin flip for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I except a Posey bounce back now that’s he fully healthy. Thinking .285 15 hrs (maybe more if balls are juiced). Even better in obp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tucker26 said:

I except a Posey bounce back now that’s he fully healthy. Thinking .285 15 hrs (maybe more if balls are juiced). Even better in obp

 

At age 32? And he hasn't reached double digit HRs in the last two years. The Giants also have Joey Bart waiting in the wings. If you want to take a flyer on him that's fine, but I don't think he should be rostered in 10 team leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

 

At age 32? And he hasn't reached double digit HRs in the last two years. The Giants also have Joey Bart waiting in the wings. If you want to take a flyer on him that's fine, but I don't think he should be rostered in 10 team leagues. 

Idk, 32 isn’t that old. 2018 he wasn’t fully recovered, 2017 he got hurt. And the fact they have catcher depth should make him self less prone to the nagging injuries he usually gets. Well that’s the bright side but down side is he is washed and dials in few down Mauer years. 

Edited by tucker26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanchez tier 1? No way Gar-ray!

He hit 232 last year in what was a dramatic improvement. Power is big but he's an average suckthat hasn't shown the ability to be relied upon for playing time. Would anyone be surprised if he played 100 games and hit 220?

Realmuto should be in a tier by himself, clear cut top choice, contributes across the board (including a handful of steals) and reliable for playing time.

You shouldn't need a backup for a tier 1 player.

Overall catcher is a mess. I'm not even going to bother again this year, let others reach and overdraft for their perceived scarcity advantage and I'll take my chances with a low end option and riding a hot hand or breakout. Worked like a charm last year and i see no reason to extend myself this year.

Actually some exciting young talent like Sean Murphy and Carson Kelly. Guys like Vazquez or Navarez do enough to keep you afloat. 

I have my eye on Danny Jansen as a post hype sleeper. Either on my roster or watching closely on the wire if he's there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couting stats like R/RBI matter more and BA matters less for C's then any other position.  They have less ABs, they don't sink your BA as much.

Catching is such a crap shoot though. They take such a beating and it'll effect their bat. A lot them are so up and down from year to year because of it. You can't predict with catchers drop off after a great year. Non the metrics can help you that much. Your best chance is investing in the ones you know are the most athletic/have the best stamina. Like JT Realmuto. Or the ones that get a ton of 1B/DH time.

 

You can get a reasonable grasp of what Grandal and JTR will get you. That's about it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gary’s value varies quite a bit if it’s H2H vs Roto.

 

From my perspective, if I have one week in the championship game I would rather have no other catcher than Gary Kraken because he gives the best chance at 2-3 HRs in one week. He hits more HRs in less ABs than any other C. Of course he could also go 0-15. Boom or bust but his boom is unmatched.

Edited by UberRebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my main strategies this year is to wait and grab Omar Narvaez in one of the later rounds. Very encouraged by his power output but more importantly his OBP (353) in his first full year. Couple all of that with a move to Miller Park. Alot to like here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mtblock said:

Garver has all around skills with a much higher OBP (.316 vs .365 last year). Sanchez may be better (and will probably have a higher avg and OBP)

Huh? So which one are you saying will have a better OBP? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Huh? So which one are you saying will have a better OBP? 

Sorry, the second part is me trying to say that Sanchez's average will improve, not that it'll be better than garvers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheppy said:

One of my main strategies this year is to wait and grab Omar Narvaez in one of the later rounds. Very encouraged by his power output but more importantly his OBP (353) in his first full year. Couple all of that with a move to Miller Park. Alot to like here.

i'm all in on Narvaez, we're in a 2 catcher NL only league and depth is brutal, if I can get him cheap he'll be one of the better deals of the auction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catcher is probably one of the settings lineup configuration swings when it comes to value.  If its a straight head to head league, I think some of the "volume" disparity you might see in Runs/RBI heck even SB for some of those guys that might get 6+ SB's just doesnt play out week to week day to day - but in a season long?  I really focus on Runs and RBI volume especially in 2 Catcher leagues, which is the other huge factor.  

I actually dont think people value Realmuto enough, especially in 2 Catcher Roto settings, I caught some guff in the Mock we did in the fall, I think I took him near the 2-3 turn which many thought way too early, but to me, his value gap especially in Runs and RBI's I think gives you a great advantage and his average, especially for catcher who will probably lead C in at-bats the runs RBI combo gap between Realmuto and even a good C like Contreras last year is the equivalent of the gap last year between Nolan Arenado and Yuli Gurriel.  

Time and time - in my season long roto, which is 2 catchers, the teams who finish high and cash often will not be weak at C.  Last year team who won had Realmuto, I was second had Sanchez.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Atomicdogg97 said:

Any thoughts on Francisco Mejia? I was thinking about waiting on catcher and taking him in my 12 team roto league.

 

I'm worried about his playing time, but he's probably worth a flyer in a 12 team league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, parrothead said:

Catcher is probably one of the settings lineup configuration swings when it comes to value.  If its a straight head to head league, I think some of the "volume" disparity you might see in Runs/RBI heck even SB for some of those guys that might get 6+ SB's just doesnt play out week to week day to day - but in a season long?  I really focus on Runs and RBI volume especially in 2 Catcher leagues, which is the other huge factor.  


100% agree that the value of the catcher position is more dependent on league settings than nearly any other position in fantasy baseball aside from the RP. I don’t even draft a catcher in my 10 team daily H2H anymore. If at the end of the week I’m down by one or two runs/rbis and it won’t hurt the outcome of my OBP I’ll add the hottest catcher at that current time and hope for those stats. Then I just drop him as soon as the next week begins in favor of another arm. The value of having another starter or relief pitcher to pad my pitching stats is greater than that of a catcher getting me 1 run and 1 rbi throughout an entire week to go along with the sub .200 obp. And in this format I don’t see the value in drafting a guy like Realmuto or the other top catchers over other positions at their going rate in the draft due to the disparity in their counting stats as it compares to other bats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atomicdogg97 said:

Any thoughts on Francisco Mejia? I was thinking about waiting on catcher and taking him in my 12 team roto league.

Will be interested to see if there is any philosophical change with regards to the C slot - not breaking any news here but Hedges is a defensive first guy, Mejia is bat first catcher - Padres if they are gonna do anything need to get their pitching going, so with that being a priority and C being a part of that equation, my hunch is that the split we saw last year in terms of starts, despite Hedges struggles at the plate will remain the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Travis D’Arnaud love? Guy had good numbers last year, and the Braves offense is plenty potent this year, and he should be the primary C. Not sure where he bats/how consistent his playing time will be, but he is going for very cheap right now. Am I missing something here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

No Travis D’Arnaud love? Guy had good numbers last year, and the Braves offense is plenty potent this year, and he should be the primary C. Not sure where he bats/how consistent his playing time will be, but he is going for very cheap right now. Am I missing something here?

 

He's worth a late round flyer. I just didn't go that deep in my catcher rankings because I'm assuming most teams will one carry one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 12:09 PM, parrothead said:

Will be interested to see if there is any philosophical change with regards to the C slot - not breaking any news here but Hedges is a defensive first guy, Mejia is bat first catcher - Padres if they are gonna do anything need to get their pitching going, so with that being a priority and C being a part of that equation, my hunch is that the split we saw last year in terms of starts, despite Hedges struggles at the plate will remain the same.  

 

In the past, I think the better defensive catcher always finds a way to play. Unless Meija is hitting 40 bombs they're not going to play him everyday at the expense of their pitching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.