Sign in to follow this  
N.O. Boston 33

Best Ball Format

Im curious if people have any experience playing in best ball leagues. If so, what strategies are reccomended, what platforms are preferred, and is it a format that you enjoyed? 

Yes

strategy depends on scoring and format though.  I like the no in season maintenance 

Edited by kidtwentytwo

I thought all best ball leagues were no in season maintenance? I believe FanDuel is offering best ball leagues this year now that they bought Draft. Im not sure about Yahoo

Watch the rake on some of these games.  The rake at some sites is getting out of control.  

6 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What the hell is best ball format?

It's where you draft a team, then the computer puts together the best possible line-up for each day. There is no going to the wire to add players, who you draft is who you roll with for the entire season. 

It's a popular format in fantasy football that has found it's way to baseball. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ncbobcats said:

It's where you draft a team, then the computer puts together the best possible line-up for each day. There is no going to the wire to add players, who you draft is who you roll with for the entire season. 

It's a popular format in fantasy football that has found it's way to baseball. 

God that sounds boring as hell.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

God that sounds boring as hell.

It's popular among the draft moles.

1 hour ago, ncbobcats said:

It's popular among the draft moles.

Makes sense for the professionals who are running several teams, but it would bore me for baseball. It makes more sense in football with less games and much more variance game to game.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That's a thing?  I thought FanDuel stuff was for those types

No, best ball are for the guys that like the draft process, roster construction, finding value deep in the later rounds. All the while letting the season play out with the computer picking your line ups each day/week.

They are great imo. I have 5 leagues of various size and scope, but they take up all of my free time (even if I have shifted some to only run the waiver wire 2x/week). I love drafting a team and not having those maintenance things to deal with, really have to weigh your strategy out with BBs, can't get too risky but have to take chances. Mostly I don't even check back, just see when my leaguesafe account get credited.

How does best ball lineup picking work for baseball?

Football is easy enough because everything is points-based and everyone plays once a week.

In roto or category-based H2H leagues, it seems complicated to determine a “best” lineup - is a pitcher getting shelled but getting a W better than 4 shutout IP? It’s all very contextual, depending on your opponent or the league standings.

I guess it would work in a points-based weekly H2H league, but that’s not a format I like that much even when I get to make decisions.

1 minute ago, SpartyOn4 said:

How does best ball lineup picking work for baseball?

Football is easy enough because everything is points-based and everyone plays once a week.

In roto or category-based H2H leagues, it seems complicated to determine a “best” lineup - is a pitcher getting shelled but getting a W better than 4 shutout IP? It’s all very contextual, depending on your opponent or the league standings.

I guess it would work in a points-based weekly H2H league, but that’s not a format I like that much even when I get to make decisions.

You are close - it is points based but not H2H.  So a W is worth... say 4 points and an inning pitched is worth .. 2 and an ER is worth -2.  Add them up and take your best player who played that week.  Add up all the weeks at the end of the year and you have your winner.

• Thanks 1