Sign in to follow this  
Gumbercules

Austin Meadows 2020 Outlook

I would like to hear people's thoughts on my boy Austin.  I have him in a keeper league and I want to know if he's a 5 cat stud or is he going to crush my dreams.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Gumbercules said:

I would like to hear people's thoughts on my boy Austin.  I have him in a keeper league and I want to know if he's a 5 cat stud or is he going to crush my dreams.  Thanks.

24 year old former top prospect coming off a .291 hitting season with 33/12 HR's/Steals? I'd say that's pretty studly to me.

36 minutes ago, Gumbercules said:

4.5 cat stud

you're welcome.

8 hours ago, Gumbercules said:

5 Cat Stud! Own him in all my dynasty leagues

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Is he going to sit vs lefties? Rays gonna Rays

Why? He hits lefties almost as well as he hits righties. If you double his stats against lefties last season, aside from the walks, they're almost identical to his stats against righties. 

By Breakdown AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs. Left 167 17 46 8 3 9 32 9 1 53 2 2 .275 .316 .521 .837
vs. Right 363 66 108 21 4 24 57 45 6 78 10 5 .298 .384 .576 .960
Edited by jmcampbe11

31 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

is he really worth his ADP?

That depends on if you think he has more upside. I'd say his floor is Eddie Rosario and his ceiling is probably George Springer. 

3 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Why? He hits lefties almost as well as he hits righties. If you double his stats against lefties last season, aside from the walks, they're almost identical to his stats against righties. 

By Breakdown AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs. Left 167 17 46 8 3 9 32 9 1 53 2 2 .275 .316 .521 .837
vs. Right 363 66 108 21 4 24 57 45 6 78 10 5 .298 .384 .576 .960

But they’re not almost identical aside from the walks. If you prorate his ABs against lefties to equal those against RHP, you get 19 walks and 115 Ks. That is an enormous difference. There’s 123pt difference in OPS. His RBI and 3B paces were greater against LHP, but everything else falls short...29 fewer runs, 5 fewer HR, 4 fewer 2B, 6 SB fewer, 23pt drop in BA (though still a solid .275). Aside from his walks and Ks, his line against lefties is respectable...but I believe saying their almost identical is incorrect. 

.298/.960-66-24-57-10, 21 2b, 4 3b, 45 bb, 78 k is not almost identical to...

.275/.837-37-19-69-4, 17 2b, 6 3b, 19 bb, 115 k. At least not imo. 

Is that line worth sitting him against LHP? Now that’s a different question, and my answer would be “no”. 

• Like 4

On 3/10/2020 at 1:35 PM, TrueToTheBlue said:

Is he going to sit vs lefties? Rays gonna Rays

The Rays are not going to sit their 1 elite hitter

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

That depends on if you think he has more upside. I'd say his floor is Eddie Rosario and his ceiling is probably George Springer. 

I think that's a low ceiling because he's pretty much George Springer right now. His ceiling to me looks like prime JD Martinez, with about 5-10 more SBs too. I think we see continued development from Meadows. I think he drops his K% from 22% to something like 17% and we see a .300  40 masher who can take some walks too

• Like 3

So is Austin Meadows playing this year? Still absolutely no word on the guy.

4 hours ago, steve9347 said:

So is Austin Meadows playing this year? Still absolutely no word on the guy.

This was the last Rotoworld blurb on him from over a week ago.

Austin Meadows has not been spotted at summer camp workouts since Friday.

Meadows apparently passed the initial COVID-19 intake testing, as he was present for the Rays' first official workout at Tropicana Field. Perhaps his subsequent test results have been delayed. Randy Arozarena, Yonny Chirinos, Tyler Glasnow, and Jose Martinez were also missing this weekend and again on Monday.

Source: Rays.mlb.com                       Jul 6, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

Since then Glasnow is back but the others are still out as well.  My guess is they are either covid positive or the second test result -- they need two to enter camp -- isn't back yet. 

Also there is a huge issue with testing delays right now in baseball period.  Then with the massive new surge hitting the country some big push-back is forming from the public about athletes getting multiple tests when regular people -- and some with symptoms even --  have to wait in line in cars for several days then wait for results for a week or even up to two weeks now for results.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This was the last Rotoworld blurb on him from over a week ago.

Since then Glasnow is back but the others are still out as well.  My guess is they are either covid positive or the second test result -- they need two to enter camp -- isn't back yet. 

Also there is a huge issue with testing delays right now in baseball period.  Then with the massive new surge hitting the country some big push-back is forming from the public about athletes getting multiple tests when regular people -- and some with symptoms even --  have to wait in line in cars for several days then wait for results for a week or even up to two weeks now for results.

That's crazy! Who would wait in line for days for a Covid test... not like they can do anything for you if your positive

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

That's crazy! Who would wait in line for days for a Covid test... not like they can do anything for you if your positive

Huh?????  I'd want to know if I have it or not for the sake of my loved ones and co-workers.  And at least half of all positive results are for asymptomatic people who could be spreading it unknowingly to many more people if they don't find out and self-quarantine.

It isn't all about YOU.  It is about respecting your fellow man from loved ones to strangers you pass in a grocery store.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting kind of worried about Meadows and the lack of news about him. Is he going to pull a Kopech? Is he hiding in a basement somewhere??

Meadows is back to working out at the training facility, guess that means he finally posted two negatives. From Yahoo:

Austin Meadows (COVID-19) is working out at the Rays' alternate training site in Port Charlotte, manager Kevin Cash said Saturday.

Advice: That's great news, as we hadn't had an update on the talented outfielder in more than a week. If he's cleared and ready to ramp up it should be a matter of days before he's back hitting near the top of the Rays lineup. That's a best-case scenario for fantasy players who drafted Meadows in recent weeks knowing he'd miss some time due to the COVID-19 diagnosis. Hopefully we'll have more clarity on his timetable in the coming days.

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

that means he'll be back to platooning in no time!

I don’t think so. They started Yoshi and hit him 3rd against Ryu yesterday. He should get full time ABs upon return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tywalson said:

I don’t think so. They started Yoshi and hit him 3rd against Ryu yesterday. He should get full time ABs upon return.

hope is not a strategy

6 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

hope is not a strategy

It isn't

What is a strategy is looking at last season and seeing how he got more and more full time ABs as the year went on

There will be some off days here and there but I don't expect him to sit consistently. And that's not "hope"