Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Franchy Cordero 2020 Outlook

starting CF for the Padres?

the K% is ugly.

he's only 25.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/02/13-spring-training-bold-predictions-2020-fantasy-baseball/?utm_source=FantasyPros&utm_campaign=6548644806-MLB%3A+Spring+Training+Bold+Predictions&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_de0f466d3f-6548644806-364941129

Franchy Cordero will be the ultimate helium man in ADP among hitters in spring training when he shows off his power and speed combination all while making enough contact to hit for an acceptable batting average. Cordero’s the favorite to play center field for the Padres and while his power and speed are tantalizing, his propensity to swing and miss has resulted in an ugly 38.8 K% in his career in the majors, per FanGraphs. A big spring would be merely a continuation of a strong offseason for Cordero after he slashed .364/.462/.576 with a bad, yet more palatable, 30.8 K% in 39 plate appearances in the Dominican Winter League, according to Baseball Reference.”
– Josh Shepardson (FantasyPros)

https://www.pitcherlist.com/analyzing-san-diego-padres-hitters-for-2020/

It’s hard to know what to expect from Cordero if he does win the job in spring training, since he only saw 15 plate appearances last season thanks to a right forearm strain/elbow sprain that cost him much of 2018 and nearly all of 2019. He’s long been on the fantasy radar because he possesses that rare combination of power, speed and defense, but we’ve yet to see most of it coming together at the same time. He’s shown power at times, but we’ve never seen him run in a way we’d expect from someone with his speed. Based on his defensive ability, he should be the starting center fielder on Opening Day, but I believe he stays healthy long enough to be fantasy relevant, and if he does, I don’t know what he’ll do. He has shown 25+ home run potential in the past, but he also strikes out way too often (he has a career 38.8 K rate!), and until that comes down, I can’t bring myself to believe he actually would get there over a full season. Between that and the injury issues, I’m out on Cordero in 2020 even if he opens the season with starting gig.

Best-Case Scenario

Cordero stays healthy and holds on to the center field job long enough to hit something like .260 with 30 home runs and 10 or so steals.

Worst-Case Scenario

The injury and strikeout issues continue to plague Cordero and he finds himself back on the IL or in Triple-A.

2020 Projection: 45 R, 13 HR, 47 RBI, 8 SB, .224/.284/.666

I think his best case scenario could be better. in the minors he had 15 SB in 2017, 22 SB in 2015.

A 30% K rate in the DWL is horrendous.

The signing of Juan Lagares will probably cost him time against LHP. Who knows what will happen with Wil Myers. Naylor will also probably get a healthy amount of ABs.

So overall there's definitely potential here but probably a wait and see guy for majority of players. He needs to make massive strides in is approach to stick in the majors even with his power and speed.

Grisham probably has the inside track on the CF job. They traded a prized prospect (Urias) for him, he has excellent OBP skills which the team lacks, and doesn't have the K issues that have been plaguing the team. 

I expect the OF to be Pham, Grisham, Myers, with Cordero as the 4th OF and Naylor as the 5th. 

Grisham is depth

Franchy is a beast in the making... speed and power...

41 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Grisham is depth

Why would the Padres have traded a highly-touted prospect for OF depth when they already have Myers taking up space?

Guess to get a lefthanded bat off the bench to match with Myers... but it wasnt cause Grisham and his .231 avg were showing better than Cordero has...

MLB talent evaluators are not going to overreact to a single 51 game sample of a very bouncy stat like batting average when there's five years of minor league production and countless hours of scouts watching him to go on.  He hit for a 92 wRC+ with the Brewers in those 51 games, which isn't terrible considering it was his first taste of MLB action -- Franchy only managed an 80 wRC+ in his first partial season

I think Grisham can be real solid but Franchy if can be corralled has star potential... 

Yeah, he's certainly got the tools, but that's a big "if", and a very different statement than "Grisham is depth".

To the Royals.  

21 hours ago, B&F said:

To the Royals.  

Good gamble for the Royals. But that outfield has a chance to be epically hilarious this year if he still sucks.

hope the kid shines...been waitin on him to show off what he can do...

These are types of zero risk high reward gambles I've been wanting for the Royals to take for years

• Like 1

bump for hype

would love to see him getting every day at bats but unless there's an injury I don't see it

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Currently hitting .091 with an xBA of .497

Also 0 strikeouts through 12 plate appearances

Exactly. Don’t give up yet. The lack of Ks so far is highly encouraging too.

• Like 1