Atomicdogg97

2020 Middle Relievers Thread

10 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Why Ottavino over the other Yankees relievers? 

I think once Chapman comes back they'll settle into their same roles as last season. And Ottavino was their best MR last season. 

For those in Save + Holds leagues, who are you looking to pick up right now? Who are you dropping? Who was a leader last year that's not getting as many opportunities? 

Rafael Dolis is 3/3

Justin Wilson 2/2

Joakim Soira 2/3 getting action for Oakland

Twins still waiting on them to have an opportunity..

2 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

For those in Save + Holds leagues, who are you looking to pick up right now? Who are you dropping? Who was a leader last year that's not getting as many opportunities? 

Rafael Dolis is 3/3

Justin Wilson 2/2

Joakim Soira 2/3 getting action for Oakland

Twins still waiting on them to have an opportunity..

Check the middle reliever thread  - 

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Check the middle reliever thread  - 

Thanks for that!

Keep an eye on Trevor Rosenthal (RP - KC).  The closer/setup situation there (Kennedy/Holland) isn't exactly lights-out and the rest of the pen is unexciting.  Rosenthal, you may recall, was an absolute beast from 2013-2017 when he racked up 121 saves with STL.  He was hurt in 2018, sucked in 2019 with WAS and DET, and now no one cares about him. 

Then he gets high praise in camp: "Rosenthal separated himself as one of the team's best relievers in camp, according to general manager Dayton Moore, Alec Lewis of The Athletic reports. (4/10/2020)"

So far he's thrown only 2 IP but needed only 11 pitches both times and has 2 Ks.  If there are HLDs to be had in KC he should get a lot of them, and if Kennedy/Holland should falter the 30 year old former closer with good stuff is waiting.

• Like 1

Anyone watching Gregory Soto SP/RP in Yahoo 4.2 IP 0 era 0 whip 8k’s 2 Holds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Jairo Diaz RP Rockies 

4 IP 0 era 1.25 whip 7 k’s 3 Hld

mans may be closing very soon..IF we even have a season after today

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

mans may be closing very soon..IF we even have a season after today

Oberg says hi

12 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Oberg says hi

He says “hi” from the IL..which he may or may not be back from possibly next week sometime 

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He says “hi” from the IL..which he may or may not be back from possibly next week sometime 

And? He was great last year 

What's the deal with Evan Marshall? Small sample but he's killin' it so far. Doesn't seem like the same guy.

Velocity is actually down, but swstr% almost double last year's rate... 

Looks like he's throwing his slider and changeup more and less of his FB/sinker, which I assume suck. So pitch mix is the secret?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:18 AM, Hatfieldodger said:

Anyone watching Gregory Soto SP/RP in Yahoo 4.2 IP 0 era 0 whip 8k’s 2 Holds

Picked him up after you touted him. Thanks. He threw 6 sliders today and all of them were swing & miss. 3 ks

Gotta have him in HLD leagues. Guys with this kind of talent eventually find a way to factor. He’s SP eligible too which is a plus.

Here’s a list of guys that are among the leaders in k-bb%, xFIP, SIERA, and have either been getting holds or have been in critical game situations of late that could be available in your league:

-Jake Diekman OAK

-Josh Tomlin ATL

-Josh Staumont KC 

-Evan Marshall CHW

-Jake McGee LAD

-Jonathan Hernandez TEX

-Caleb Ferguson LAD — been getting holds, wins, and just pitching a lot. His Swstr% is impressive at 18.4%

Unlikely he’s available but if he is, even in non-holds leagues, add TYLER DUFFEY immediately. One of the best RP in the game. Could be closer in Rogers scuffles any more.

Keep an eye on Tyler Matzek ATL, too. Didn’t do too hot again yanks yesterday but had been impressive up until.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

Here’s a list of guys that are among the leaders in k-bb%, xFIP, SIERA, and have either been getting holds or have been in critical game situations of late that could be available in your league:

-Jake Diekman OAK

-Josh Tomlin ATL

-Josh Staumont KC 

-Evan Marshall CHW

-Jake McGee LAD

-Jonathan Hernandez TEX

-Caleb Ferguson LAD — been getting holds, wins, and just pitching a lot. His Swstr% is impressive at 18.4%

Unlikely he’s available but if he is, even in non-holds leagues, add TYLER DUFFEY immediately. One of the best RP in the game. Could be closer in Rogers scuffles any more.

Keep an eye on Tyler Matzek ATL, too. Didn’t do too hot again yanks yesterday but had been impressive up until.

Good stuff. I'll add that I think Jose Alvarez is also a very solid add as well (for holds and Ks). He's missed some time so he won't show up among the league leaders in strikeouts, holds, etc., but he seems to have reverted to his pre -2019 form when he was absolutely filthy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Picked him up after you touted him. Thanks. He threw 6 sliders today and all of them were swing & miss. 3 ks

Gotta have him in HLD leagues. Guys with this kind of talent eventually find a way to factor. He’s SP eligible too which is a plus.

Soto looks good, but those 2019 numbers make me a bit...nervous. 

38 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Good stuff. I'll add that I think Jose Alvarez is also a very solid add as well (for holds and Ks). He's missed some time so he won't show up among the league leaders in strikeouts, holds, etc., but he seems to have reverted to his pre -2019 form when he was absolutely filthy. 

I meant "Alvarado"

• Like 1

Freddy Peralta has been killing it lately. Might be more useful as a RP long term.

• Like 2

I have a strategy question, for those that play in saves + holds leagues. I've played in leagues with saves all my life, but about five years ago we switched to saves + holds in my primary long standing league. Now I struggle a bit with when to roster a possible/mediocre closer versus a very good middle reliever. For some reason the cut off point is never really obvious to me. For example, earlier this season when I lost GIles to injury I immediately picked up Bass. Same think happened when Robles lost the job. I immediately nabbed Butttrey. Now I'm wondering if I'd be better of with a middle reliever like Staumont or J. Hernandez who are having much better seasons, but who aren't the closers. What are your general thoughts? And is there an obvious cut off point when you typically stop looking at closer sand start looking at middle relievers. 

Thanks for the help and this isn't intended to be a specific transaction question. I just thought it would be helpful to give a present day examples (with names) to help illustrate my point.