Picard56

Carlos Santana 2020 Outlook

Hit for a higher average last year by beating the shift and going the opposite way and had a career high in obp. A lot of the fantasy rankings have in at a discount going nearly to the 14th round in 10 team redrafts, which would make him a big bargain in obp leagues.

Thoughts on him?

19 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Hit for a higher average last year by beating the shift and going the opposite way and had a career high in obp. A lot of the fantasy rankings have in at a discount going nearly to the 14th round in 10 team redrafts, which would make him a big bargain in obp leagues.

Thoughts on him?

Im in an OBP league but I'm not expecting my league mates to let him go at a "discount."

He's an OBP beast and has always been.

I expect him to be drafted round 7~10ish. Maybe even higher if somebody reaches for last years #.

Which STILL makes him a decent bargain IMO. I'm sure you know this already but you shouldn't expect him to fall that much if you are in an OBP league.

17 hours ago, fingy said:

Im in an OBP league but I'm not expecting my league mates to let him go at a "discount."

He's an OBP beast and has always been.

I expect him to be drafted round 7~10ish. Maybe even higher if somebody reaches for last years #.

Which STILL makes him a decent bargain IMO. I'm sure you know this already but you shouldn't expect him to fall that much if you are in an OBP league.

Agreed, that's where I see him going in my OBP/OPS league

He's also massively productive in points leagues due to his high BB% and low K%. The due walks as often as he strikes out. Sure, he'll probably hit .260 this season, but the dude continues to produce year after year.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, fingy said:

Yes. Aiming for this guy at 1B in each one/kind of my leagues this year. 

The Good:

Through 15 Games (1/4 of this 60 game sprint of a season) this guy is drawing walks at an extremely high rate pushing his OBP over .400.

The Bad:

If you're not in an OBP league you are stuck with a 180 batting average, 3 RBI, 1 Homer and despite being on base over 40% of the time he only has 6 runs scored to show for it. 

Optimistic view:

He's seeing the ball well and he'll eventually get hot and start putting up some power numbers. His plate discipline is a thing to marvel at. 

Pessimistic view:

The season is very short and he needs to find that stroke in a hurry because this season will be over in a blink of an eye

• Like 1

Please god let him swing the bat!!!  I've never seen a guy with a .450 OBP that is hitting under 200.  I'm convinced he is wearing some sort of magnetic device that repels the ball from the strike zone.  I love that he is on base a lot but as a 4 hole hitter let the bat go for Christ's sake! 

• Like 2