Sign in to follow this  
colepenhagen

Paul Goldschmidt 2020 Outlook

afterthought in drafts. sign me up for 7th rd. alot of similar 1b like olson abreu muncy dj getting more love in 5th rd

14 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Elbow already barking.  Could be another down year for Paulie Grounders 

ha down year? maybe little batting avg but he was basically 35/100/100 with new team. much better 2nd half ops closer to his career 910 ops.

bags are gone but probably the safest bet to go 30/90/90 and play 155 games

• Like 1

10 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

afterthought in drafts. sign me up for 7th rd. alot of similar 1b like olson abreu muncy dj getting more love in 5th rd

I would take a shot at him at the price as well

This has been bothering Paulie Grounders for 2 years.  Don't think it's something to be overly concerned about.

Can Goldschmidt rebound somewhat this year and say split the difference between his Arizona days and last season's disappointment?  Or at age 32, is Goldschmidt just going to keep getting worse and worse?  (Like Albert Pujols whose first year with the Angels, while a far cry from his glory years with the Cardinals, ended up being the best year he had for the Angels.)

People talking like he was Hosmer last year. Guy was an absolute monster in the second half 

1 hour ago, malta69 said:

People talking like he was Hosmer last year. Guy was an absolute monster in the second half 

No one is talking about Goldschmidt like he was Hosmer last year.  However, his numbers last year were a far cry from his consistently elite first-round production in Arizona.  He's 32 years old, so it's a fair question to ask whether Goldschmidt will continue to decline or whether he can bounce back and split the difference between last year and his Arizona days.

Also, with just a 60 game season, is there concern about how poorly Goldschmidt starting off the last two seasons in the first two months of the year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

No one is talking about Goldschmidt like he was Hosmer last year.  However, his numbers last year were a far cry from his consistently elite first-round production in Arizona.  He's 32 years old, so it's a fair question to ask whether Goldschmidt will continue to decline or whether he can bounce back and split the difference between last year and his Arizona days.

Also, with just a 60 game season, is there concern about how poorly Goldschmidt starting off the last two seasons in the first two months of the year?

Fair enough, but I personally think a 5th-6th rd investment is somewhat reasonable based upon what I saw in a prolonged stretch last year. 

With the state of ailing 1B, He actually feels like one of the safer NL only targets right now.

2 hours ago, malta69 said:

Fair enough, but I personally think a 5th-6th rd investment is somewhat reasonable based upon what I saw in a prolonged stretch last year. 
With the state of ailing 1B, He actually feels like one of the safer NL only targets right now.

Not if he needs two months to get out of first gear again like last season.

His first two months have actually sucked for two straight years. Just like with notorious slow starter Ed Encarnacion, you have to wonder if that will be different when the season starts in July. Definitely a gamble. 

• Like 1

Would you try to buy low on Goldschmidt right now?  Have to imagine his owners are fed up to here by now. 

The tempting part for me is that if Manfred is serious about every team playing 60 games, that means the Cardinals will play 55 games in 49 days.  Even with doubleheaders, Goldschmidt would probably play close to every game.  Of course, there's also a risk that the Cardinals don't resume next week and don't play anything close to 55 games the rest of the way.  It's even possible that the Cardinals team gets completely shut down and the Cardinals don't play another game this year

8 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's even possible that the Cardinals team gets completely shut down and the Cardinals don't play another game this year

Now now.  Let’s curb that talk.

But anyway, back to Goldschmidt.  This guy sucks!  No production whatsoever.  [....]

Edited by tonycpsu