Fuzzy_Slippers

Freddie Freeman 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's going to be darned near impossible to predict how baseball players are going to perform when they've recovered from Covid and a 60 game sample size leaves very little margin for error.

Freddie will be a data point of a larger sample size moving forward.  Hopefully he'll ready by the 24th (still three weeks out, quarantine for many had been ~ 14 days) but impossible to predict even if so how long it will take him to get back into form with the layoff, missing ST 2.0, etc.

The "14 day quarantine" is only for people that are NOT infected with covid but have been exposed to someone with it.  It has nothing to do with someone with covid who has to wait and remain in quarantine until there is no sign of the virus left in their body.  Oranges and apples.  MLB has mandated testing negative in two separate tests over a 24 hour period roughly before a player is cleared. 

So Freddie isn't an orange, he is an apple.  Few people have covid and get over it in their body in only 14 days that I've heard of.  Especially those manifesting symptons like Freddie.  So no way can I see him baseball ready by the 24th.  He will be fortunate if he is even cleared to come back and start a belated spring training by then.

Meanwhile from this AM:

Braves manager Brian Snitker said that Freddie Freeman (COVID-19) was still feeling weak when he talked to him Sunday morning.

Freeman's wife, Chelsea, posted on Instagram that her husband has experienced "body aches, headaches, chills and a high fever since Thursday." He's in quarantine and will need a pair of negative tests before being cleared to return to action.

Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter                   Jul 5, 2020, 11:51 AM ET

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Few people have covid and get over it in their body in only 14 days that I've heard of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/diagnosed-with-covid-19-what-to-expect%3famp=true

"Symptoms could appear as soon as two days after exposure to as long as 14 days later, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A new study led by researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health provides a median time of about five days. That is why the 14-day quarantine period is used by the CDC for people with likely exposure to the new coronavirus."

Posted (edited)

Sorry that was more to your point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elemental.medium.com/amp/p/199e266fd018

"At its most brief, the virus might incubate for just two days, and a person might have a mild case of Covid-19 lasting just two weeks, for a total duration of 14 days from infection."

Anyway, I don't know how many people you've met personally who got it.

I have and it took them about ten days to get better.

So let's revisit this in a couple weeks before we make any projections shall we?

Edited by JE7HorseGod

Freddie said he’s feeling better. He should be fine for opening day I’d imagine. Draft with confidence 

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, TrueToTheBlue said:

Freddie said he’s feeling better. He should be fine for opening day I’d imagine. Draft with confidence 

Source on this?

I'm trying to select my keepers and Freddie has me hesitating on him now...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, tiwaniuk said:

Source on this?

I'm trying to select my keepers and Freddie has me hesitating on him now...

The source was that guy's opinion and given back more than ten days ago on July 5th to boot.  Feeling better and having the virus entirely flushed from your system are two different things.  Then you have to pass two separate covid tests to be allowed back with the team.  Then he has to recover muscle mass and tone plus start his spring training from scratch will be at the very least a couple of weeks.  Also bouts of exhaustion popping up is a symptom that can last with many way after a person tests negative.

Will he play this season?  He could at some point barring set backs.  Will he be ready for opening day just 10 days from now?  My opinion.  No how no way.  Zero percent chance.

Meanwhile the latest blurb from Rotoworld says:

Mon, Jul 13

David O'Brien of The Athletic heard from someone close to Freddie Freeman that the Braves' first baseman is doing much better.

Advice: Freeman tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this month and his wife, Chelsea, later wrote that he was experiencing "body aches, headaches, chills and a high fever." His experience was eye-opening enough for Nick Markakis to inform his opinion about opting out of the season. The most important thing is that Freeman appears to be making progress, but his timeline for rejoining the Braves is unclear.

More: David O'Brien on Twitter                          (Rotoworld.com)

So he is still "doing better" is all.  Not said to be over the symptoms.  Just "better."  And obviously no indication he has tested negative as yet.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

48 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The source was that guy's opinion and given back more than ten days ago on July 5th to boot.  Feeling better and having the virus entirely flushed from your system are two different things.  Then you have to pass two separate covid tests to be allowed back with the team.  Then he has to recover muscle mass and tone plus start his spring training from scratch will be at the very least a couple of weeks.  Also bouts of exhaustion popping up is a symptom that can last with many way after a person tests negative.

Will he play this season?  He could at some point barring set backs.  Will he be ready for opening day just 10 days from now?  My opinion.  No how no way.  Zero percent chance.

Meanwhile the latest blurb from Rotoworld says:

So he is still "doing better" is all.  Not said to be over the symptoms.  Just "better."  And obviously no indication he has tested negative as yet.

Id say its highly unlikely that he wouldn't play at all this season. As soon as he can get those negative tests he will get to work and be back on the field as soon as possible. Guys a gamer

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Meanwhile, back to Freddie:

I hope it doesn't get any worse for him.  But it doesn't look like he will be back to baseball any time soon.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:44 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

So no way can I see him baseball ready by the 24th.  He will be fortunate if he is even cleared to come back and start a belated spring training by then.

Meanwhile from this AM:

On 7/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

And hopefully he will feel fine after a few games and not hit the wall like E-Rod did.  And some post-covid problems don't crop up for weeks afterwards.  Everyone cross their fingers for him.

2 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

You know a guy is damn good when his thread is this quiet.

Slightly underrated every year it seems. Guy is so nice to throw into that 1B spot and never worry about, especially now that their team is back to full strength.

• Thanks 1

NL rankings:

1st in wRC+

1st in OPS

1st in RBI

1st in wOBA

2nd in OBP

2nd in XBH

3rd in Runs

4th in AVG

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

^ where is the LOVE reaction!!

Edit: also, I look forward to taking him in the second round again next year. 😉

Edited by aapox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

So much for covid

They said Freddie would be feeble this season, if he played at all.

Fools. Never doubt Fast Freddie!

3 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

Never owned him before. Traded for him a month ago and couldn't be happier!!

Welcome to the club, and see you next year. :D

One of the things I like most about owning Freddie is that he's an absolute joy to watch hit. He is so elite. He covers the outside corner, isn't afraid to drive or slap the ball to left. He covers the inside corner, and can turn on any fastball or offspeed that's lacking cut. Even good pitches he will foul off. Leave a mistake over the middle it's probably going to the gap unless you're lucky and it's at a defender. He's also willing to take the walk, any time, if needed. Finally, he's clutch. Just one of those guys who comes up in a big spot and you're more surprised when he doesn't succeed than when he does. *SWOON*

Edited by aapox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I’m a huge fan. U hit every single thing I absolutely love about him. When it started “he’s so ELITE” thats all u needed to know. Owned him in dynasty now for awhile...hopefully I get him one bc he deff deserves it. 

• Like 1

Other than Trout, Arenado, and maybe Betts, Freeman has the highest and most consistent floor of any hitter.  .300/.385/.500 is going to happen with 25+ HRs and 180+ counting stats.  Book it.  The handful of SBs that he used to provide seem to have gone away but his power is up so it's 30+ bombs and 200+ R/RBI now.  Also his walk rate has increased each season over the past three and is now 3% higher than his K rate which is... just silly.  His OBP is an obscene .454 at the moment.  The guy is a pure hitter and so hard to get out; reminds me of a vintage Miguel Cabrera.

• Like 1