bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

At any rate, I need to do more reading on it. The issue might just be that theres no vaccine yet, which is making it bad right now. 

I'll stop posting on this until I study haha. It is a strange and maybe scary phenomenon, but maybe it is being overblown too. The gray area I do think warrants being conservative.

It's a very fluid situation and we're learning as we go.  I think comparing this vs influenza is a bad comparison.  Strains of the flu have wiped out a large percentage of the population and relatively recently.  There's also a vaccine and people will deal with the flu on their own.  I can't blame people and government officials using an overabundance of caution.  We've set ourselves up for this to be honest.  

• Like 3

Tonight’s basketball game between Thunder vs Jazz is cancelled. Rudy Goebert illness 

Twitter thread from a doctor working in Northern Italy

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.
2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.
3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity
4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.
5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.
6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

If this is what's ahead in the US, missing some games is going to be the least of our worries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Twitter thread from a doctor working in Northern Italy

If this is what's ahead in the US, missing some games is going to be the least of our worries.

Italy is an older populus then the US. So there is hope it might not be AS bad. Not 200% capacity at least?

Similar things could happen in the major metro area's of the US for sure. The population density of the north east could breed a spiraling situation.

7 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Italy is an older populus then the US. So there is hope it might not be AS bad. Not 200% capacity at least?

Similar things could happen in the major metro area's of the US for sure. The population density of the north east could breed a spiraling situation.

Yeah but we're the fattest nation. People will die easier in this country due to their high morbid obesity. The "healthy at every size people" are especially in trouble.

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Welp

Gotta think we're gonna reach a point where the MLB season will be put on hold as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Gotta think we're gonna reach a point where the MLB season will be put on hold as well.

Its inevitable at this point. All it takes is one player getting it and every team they recently played would have to be quarantined. Sucks

It's sad that #CancelEverything is trending on Twitter but yeah until everything can get back to some state of normal, it isn't looking good rn.

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Do you not think people don't report that they have the flu?

TBH I dont know where numbers come from as far as what they consider "reported" when it comes to the flu. Does it mean they saw a doctor? Is it just part of a survey? It is an estimate? 

I think comparing the two statistically might not paint an accurate picture. I hope so any way. I hope it isn't as bad as the current numbers reflect. 

This sucks.  I think at this difficult time, we all need baseball.  I might have to watch videos of old games on Youtube or something to get through this.

• Like 2

I think they figure out a way around delaying the season.  If you delay the season you'll essentially have to replay spring training.  They'll move the Mariners down to Arizona for a month and move enough pieces to work around it.

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

TBH I dont know where numbers come from as far as what they consider "reported" when it comes to the flu. Does it mean they saw a doctor? Is it just part of a survey? It is an estimate? 

I think comparing the two statistically might not paint an accurate picture. I hope so any way. I hope it isn't as bad as the current numbers reflect. 

much of our data is coming from cdc's in unreliable countries.  that's about to change

1 minute ago, MJDrocks said:

I think they figure out a way around delaying the season.  If you delay the season you'll essentially have to replay spring training.  They'll move the Mariners down to Arizona for a month and move enough pieces to work around it.

I'm pretty sure this was the origin story for this game: 

220px-Base_Wars_cover.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

much of our data is coming from cdc's in unreliable countries.  that's about to change

Haven't mortality rates here reflected the rest of the world? Or no?

Only 6000 Americans have been tested for coronavirus.  We have no idea how bad it really is or will get.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Keep in mind the mortality rate is going to be higher because theres going to be people out there who get Coronavirus and dont even know it

If people are infected but never knew (asymptomatic or just thought is was regular flu or whatever) and thus were never tested , then the true mortality rate would be lower not higher. It would mean that more people are surviving the sickness than is being reported. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

This isnt about Seattle anymore.  Yes, there will be a quick need for a week of workouts.  But early May is optimistic.

Just now, cs3 said:

If people are infected but never knew (asymptomatic or just thought is was regular flu or whatever) and thus were never tested , then the true mortality rate would be lower not higher. It would mean that more people are surviving the sickness than is being reported. 

Sorry I meant the reported mortality rate could be higher than the true rate. 

Just now, kidtwentytwo said:

do you trust the rest of the world

If our numbers match theirs then I dont need "trust", I have proof.