bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

I think that the majority of people who favor quarantines have remote jobs so can wait this thing out. Millions of people however don’t have that luxury, and those people are being ignored. How exactly are small business owners and barbers for example supposed to survive? How about waiters and waitresses? 

The fact is thousands of people die every year in car accidents. Yet, why aren’t people pushing to ban cars? It’s accepted by our society because we value cars that much. The sooner we isolate those at risk the better because the rest of us, who have a 1% chance of dying and less than 10% chance of even having serious complications need to be at work ASAP.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I think that the majority of people who favor quarantines have remote jobs so can wait this thing out. Millions of people however don’t have that luxury, and those people are being ignored. How exactly are small business owners and barbers for example supposed to survive? How about waiters and waitresses? 

The fact is thousands of people die every year in car accidents. Yet, why aren’t people pushing to ban cars? It’s accepted by our society because we value cars that much. The sooner we isolate those at risk the better because the rest of us, who have a 1% chance of dying and less than 10% chance of even having serious complications need to be at work ASAP.

Unemployment. Which in my state now tops off at $1100 a week with a minimum of $800 a week. 

‘Those at risk’ is anyone with an underlying condition. Obesity is covered under this umbrella. Almost 40% of the US is obese and another 31% is overweight. Both fall under the category. Ok so out of the rest of the 29% who aren’t, let’s take out all the other underlying conditions. Diabetes, any form of a disease that makes you immune compromised and the old. The actual work force would be smaller than it is currently. 

You’re also leaving out they consider PNEUMONIA a mild condition. 

Edited by daynlokki

13 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

You keep throwing out percentages. Yet you ignore that america has a population of 330 MILLION PEOPLE. 10% is a VERY BIG number even if less then 1/3rd of the population contracts it.

33 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Moderator hat on: broad, evidence-free generalizations like this about other members of the community are extremely toxic to a productive discussion.  You don't know the people here personally, and most have not shared the details of their employment arrangements.  Combined with your continued gish gallop pattern of making claims and then moving the goalposts when they're proven false, your participation here is indistinguishable from someone posting in bad faith in order to troll the community.  If this continues, you will not be welcome to participate in this discussion.

Mod hat off:

33 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Automobiles get people to work, to see their loved ones, etc.  They facilitate trade and grow the economy.  This virus just kills people.  If you aren't prepared to account for the positive value of driving in you analysis, then you're not bringing anything compelling to the discussion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm as eager for the economy to return to normal as anyone.

But I have read a number of compelling arguments that a second wave, left unmitigated, will have a worse economic fallout than the first in consumer confidence, without even mentioning the obvious negative public health consequences.

I think the best we can hope for is that whenever shelter in place orders end, hopefully sooner rather than later, that we have a plan in place for all 50 states, urban and rural, that can isolate and help protect people in areas where it's reemerging, and play from that timeframe rather than an arbitrary one where fear and boredom has overtaken us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Your first mistake when you wrote ....I think . 

More like you have no clue what the population is thinking.

I know of two business (barbershop & tattoo) in my hometown who shut down before Governor Baker put in the mandatory. The tattoo owner said he was afraid for his family. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

You seem to forget the biggest issue. The health care system is not set up for this. The more cases you have overrun the system so people who normally have conditions that can be saved can't get treatment. Your example of car accidents for example. A lot of people die in accidents every year but not as many as guns kill. A lot of people in car accidents or suffering from gun shot wounds can't get the treatment they need because the hospitals are full, not to mention heart attacks, cancer treatments and a multitude of other ailments. The death rate for things other than covid will also rise a lot. It's not just about the virus unless you just prefer people dying in the streets because they can't get into a hospital. If you let everyone loose the infection rate will just skyrocket. 293 people tested positive at a pork plant in South Dakota. Imagine if you put everyone back to work. How many of these workplace outbreaks will take place. They will never be able to manage something like that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

You seem to forget the biggest issue. The health care system is not set up for this. The more cases you have overrun the system so people who normally have conditions that can be saved can't get treatment. Your example of car accidents for example. A lot of people die in accidents every year but not as many as guns kill. A lot of people in car accidents or suffering from gun shot wounds can't get the treatment they need because the hospitals are full, not to mention heart attacks, cancer treatments and a multitude of other ailments. The death rate for things other than covid will also rise a lot. It's not just about the virus unless you just prefer people dying in the streets because they can't get into a hospital. If you let everyone loose the infection rate will just skyrocket. 293 people tested positive at a pork plant in South Dakota. Imagine if you put everyone back to work. How many of these workplace outbreaks will take place. They will never be able to manage something like that.

I read an article about the Smithfield plant.

Hope they are wrong about the protein supply.

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I read an article about the Smithfield plant.

Hope they are wrong about the protein supply.

I guess you can't dispute the rest of my post

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

I guess you can't dispute the rest of my post

Wasn't trying to?  Just expressing concern for something that sounded like a problem.

Posted (edited)

[...]
may 1 over under 10 states that re-open in a limited capacity?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed complaints about deleted comment.

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

[...]

There are still states open right now.

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

[...]

Over 

7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

There are still states open right now.

Totally understand dude. wasn’t what the question was for tho

This pandemic has given a whole new meaning to the phrase "Have you seen my baseball?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

His retweet was to respond to the person who wrote the original tweet, not to promote it. (At least that's my take). 

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

His retweet was to respond to the person who wrote the original tweet, not to promote it. (At least that's my take). 

My suggestion would be to respond in another way.  We need clear, concise messaging that the government and public health officials that Americans trust to get their information are in alignment.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My suggestion would be to respond in another way.  We need clear, concise messaging that the government and public health officials that Americans trust to get their information are in alignment.

It is clear the American government is not in alignment with one another. Governors/mayors can not get on the same page within their respective States... the president and the top infectious disease doctor in your country continue to butt heads.. what a headache this already was.. quickly becoming a migraine..

• Thanks 1

On the bright side, mitigation is slowly working.. the U.S.. actually, even Canada are seeing signs of the spread slowing down, so, i hope the people of both countries can continue to respect the situation and prevent us all from being stuck in it longer than we have to be..

• Like 1

Just now, jonninho said:

It is clear the American government is not in alignment with one another. Governors/mayors can not get on the same page within their respective States... the president and the top infectious disease doctor in your country continue to butt heads.. what a headache this already was.. quickly becoming a migraine..

I'm ready to ignore the politicians altogether.

It's the other folks out there that are listening to them as opposed to health officials that I am concerned with.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Agreed. A retweet just spreads the initial message, regardless of how Trump responded to it in his retweet. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a bleeding heart liberal and even I don't think that was the intent of his RT.

7 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Yeah, I'm a bleeding heart liberal and even I don't think that was the intent of his RT.

Yeah, I'm just saying that the mere fact that intent has to be interpreted ain't great.

I get that his messaging in general is opaque, and some people dig that.

But during this particular time period, 84% of Americans say they trust Fauci on this.  Even if you don't weigh in on that aspect of the message, just find a different way of communicating what you have to say.  Otherwise a whole lot of people are going to be confused.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

This pandemic has given a whole new meaning to the phrase "Have you seen my baseball?"

not to mention, “franks and beans” (half my diet lately lol)

• Haha 1