bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

28 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Ok so how much do you think each individual home test is gonna cost?

Obviously can't answer the question. Hopefully, health insurance companies, governments, or employers see it as necessary and pick up the cost.

Posted the link to the article because we as a country are beginning to talk about how we can allow some to get back to work. Difficult to entertain the thought while so many are dying and are still being infected, but we have to look forward just the same.

Hopefully some of our best and brightest will help solve some obstacles we are facing. 

9 hours ago, daynlokki said:

It can't be sitting in our hotel rooms, just going from the field to the hotel room and not being able to do anything. I think that's pretty crazy."

Perhaps this is a dumb/naive comment, but when he says this... What is he doing now?

Isn't he not able to do anything currently besides grocery stores/exercise? Wouldn't this be better in a way, more to do? I guess you're away from wife and kids, I understand that, but

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Perhaps this is a dumb/naive comment, but when he says this... What is he doing now?

Isn't he not able to do anything currently besides grocery stores/exercise? Wouldn't this be better in a way, more to do? I guess you're away from wife and kids, I understand that, but

Away from pregnant wife who is due August. At least at home you have full control over what you do and can see family. A full sequester for four months isn’t gonna fly with most. Especially not at home. 

On 3/12/2020 at 12:13 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

I knew my invention would make it big one day...

spacer.png

My bad. I have to laugh to keep from crying...

spacer.png

I am one for this idea. Best idea rather haha.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Maybe they can play tennis without towels. 

Not really. They would be sweating all over the court which would make it slippery and a danger to the players

12 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Yeah. Or paper towels. Or, they just use their own towels and keep them on a rack or over the back of a chair.  I swear to god, I have played tennis myself without towel boys. I don't know how, but I did it.

This is the kind of stuff that strikes me as so defeatist it's almost paranoid.    

If you really think this is so bad that they won't be able to video 2 people playing tennis in a couple months, then you're basically saying this is the end of the world.  It might be!  I don't know.  But I'm at least open to the possibility it's not.  

I didn't know you played professional tennis. It's about safety. The players sweat a lot and need to towel off after points because the sweat falls off them and makes the court very slippery. It's a danger to the players.

7 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I'm assuming his home is bigger than a hotel room. Maybe he even has a large property.

• Haha 1

It sounds as though setting up a business, particularly in these six states, will probably cost employers a bit more in both state and federal unemployment taxes to make up for what is being distributed now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/unemployment-benefits-state-trust-funds/index.html

The cash crunch won't affect the millions of Americans currently applying for or receiving benefits -- they'll get their weekly checks regardless of their state's financial situation. About 16.8 million people, roughly 11% of the labor force, filed initial unemployment claims over three weeks ending April 4 -- dramatically higher than during the Great Recession. Economists expect job losses to continue.
And states aren't on the hook for the historic expansion of the unemployment benefits program recently passed by Congress. The federal government is footing the bill for the temporary $600 boost in weekly payments and short-term expansion of benefits to those affected by the coronavirus and the self-employed -- which is projected to cost about $250 billion.

But states do remain responsible for their share of unemployment insurance, which typically lasts up to 26 weeks. If their trust funds run out, they could take loans from the federal government -- but some states could wind up paying interest and employers could face heftier taxes to cover the debt. Other choices: Issue bonds or draw down other state funds, which most can ill-afford to do as the coronavirus wreaks havoc on tax revenues.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Not really. They would be sweating all over the court which would make it slippery and a danger to the players

Is there any statistical or historical evidence to support this claim?

Edited by OaksterDan
Autocorrect
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Not a huge tennis fan but the NBA does pay people to wipe the court down after it gets wet with sweat.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

seems like common sense, no?

do we really need evidence to prove that sprinting and abruptly stopping on wet surfaces can cause injury?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Not a huge tennis fan but the NBA does pay people to wipe the court down after it gets wet with sweat.

NBA? That's true. Thought we were talking about tennis. Different playing surfaces. Plenty of people play sports, including tennis, without towels and don't get injured. I just don't see "towels" as being the logistical problem that prevents tennis from happening. Players can towel off what they need to towel off, and throw the towel in a bucket of bleach post-match. There are far more realistic logistical problems in resuming pro tennis than the towels.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Away from pregnant wife who is due August. At least at home you have full control over what you do and can see family. A full sequester for four months isn’t gonna fly with most. Especially not at home. 

Lol. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Do you know how many people work abroad? How about the thousands who enlist in the army and get shipped overseas? Very very few people are going to pass up millions of dollars and playing the game they love because they have to be away from home for 4 months. It’s 4 months not 4 years buddy.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Lol. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Do you know how many people work abroad? How about the thousands who enlist in the army and get shipped overseas? Very very few people are going to pass up millions of dollars and playing the game they love because they have to be away from home for 4 months. It’s 4 months not 4 years buddy.

Irrelevant.  Thats what those other people signed up for.  That doesn't mean star MLB players would sign up to do the same.

• Like 2

what a complete **** show this thread has turned to. From bad to worse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Heads up.. looks like a drug therapy by Gilead sciences looks promising as a treatment with multiple recoveries upon testing.

Grand Slam! It’s a whole new ball game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Why do they stop playing when there are even a few droplets of rain? Hard courts and grass are very slippery when wet. 

1 hour ago, OaksterDan said:

NBA? That's true. Thought we were talking about tennis. Different playing surfaces. Plenty of people play sports, including tennis, without towels and don't get injured. I just don't see "towels" as being the logistical problem that prevents tennis from happening. Players can towel off what they need to towel off, and throw the towel in a bucket of bleach post-match. There are far more realistic logistical problems in resuming pro tennis than the towels.

It's not so much about the  towels as it is unsafe playing  conditions due to the slippery court especially the lines where they spend most of their time stopping and starting abruptly. 

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

It's not so much about the  towels as it is unsafe playing  conditions due to the slippery court especially the lines where they spend most of their time stopping and starting abruptly. 

Fair enough, I will cede this off-topic debate after reading this gross article from 2009 about tennis player sweat.

"Radek Stepanek used to pour out his shoes. His socks would be yellow."

As in, he had yellow socks?

"No, they were white. That's what made it disgusting."

Sweat is a Serious Issue for Tennis Players

34 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Heads up.. looks like a drug therapy by Gilead sciences looks promising as a treatment with multiple recoveries upon testing.

Grand Slam! It’s a whole new ball game!

sources?

If you think it is impossible to play a tennis match without a retinue of officials, ball groomers, water bottle caddies and towel handlers I highly recommend Ken Burns' documentary on Lewis and Clark. Actually, it's good no matter who you are. 

They are playing baseball in Taiwan and you can watch English broadcasts if you don't mind the hours.

https://time.com/5822240/watch-taiwan-baseball-live-free/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Was literally just going to post some links as well. I guess i could have just looked it up initially myself, lol.

Thanks, though.

In relation to the links.. man... maybe this is the break through we have been waiting for? Stocks are surging on Gilead too. a lot of people believe this could be it..

4 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

spacer.png

• Haha 4