bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

1 hour ago, GamblorLA said:

If you think it is impossible to play a tennis match without a retinue of officials, ball groomers, water bottle caddies and towel handlers I highly recommend Ken Burns' documentary on Lewis and Clark. Actually, it's good no matter who you are. 

They are playing baseball in Taiwan and you can watch English broadcasts if you don't mind the hours.

https://time.com/5822240/watch-taiwan-baseball-live-free/

Yes, live sports! Definitely going to catch a game or two  

1 hour ago, GamblorLA said:

If you think it is impossible to play a tennis match without a retinue of officials, ball groomers, water bottle caddies and towel handlers I highly recommend Ken Burns' documentary on Lewis and Clark. Actually, it's good no matter who you are. 

They are playing baseball in Taiwan and you can watch English broadcasts if you don't mind the hours.

https://time.com/5822240/watch-taiwan-baseball-live-free/

Dude,  what a power post!  Sleeper post of the year... LIVE F'N BASEBALL SAY WHAT.  

I haven't gone all caps since MySpace. I need to sit down. Alarm clock is set baby

11 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Dude,  what a power post!  Sleeper post of the year... LIVE F'N BASEBALL SAY WHAT.  

I haven't gone all caps since MySpace. I need to sit down. Alarm clock is set baby

Who’s in for the Rotoworld Taiwanese Fantasy Baseball Mock Draft???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Who’s in for the Rotoworld Taiwanese Fantasy Baseball Mock Draft???

Don't threaten me with a good time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Lol. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Do you know how many people work abroad? How about the thousands who enlist in the army and get shipped overseas? Very very few people are going to pass up millions of dollars and playing the game they love because they have to be away from home for 4 months. It’s 4 months not 4 years buddy.

These top guys will already make 5k a day if the league doesn’t start. Doubt they are struggling. They signed up to play baseball not basically deploy with no hope to see any family for four or five consecutive months. Assuming they are going to want to put their families at risk for money is asinine. People sign up for the military knowing deployment is a possibility. You don’t join the mlb to be away from family for 1/3 of the year during a pandemic. If they got sick what are you gonna do? Stay quarantined away from them? Testing isn’t anywhere near where it needs to be. The entire state of California has done like 230k tests. They have a population of 39.5m. 

• Like 2

Don’t see how they think Arizona is gonna be a good place to play. Retirement communities and 47k total tests done for a population of 7.2m. 

• Like 1

US has passed 100 deaths per 1m of population I guess sitting at 105.  Doesn't seem like much, but if you round the 105 down to 100 to make it easier and take two 0's off the end of that and 1m it ends up being 1 dead for every 10,000 in population in the US.  

• Like 1

Hydroxychloroquine Trial for Treating COVID-19 Disappoints

A just-reported Chinese study compares the clinical outcomes of COVID-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine with those of patients receiving standard of care. The results, alas, are disappointing.

I summarized that study in my roundup yesterday of COVID-19 therapeutic research, pointing out that this randomized controlled trial of 150 patients "found no difference in the rate of viral load reduction or symptom alleviation between the group treated with hydroxychloroquine and the one that had not been." Now the University of Vermont pulmonologist Josh Farkas has published his own analysis of the results, delving more deeply into the data.

The patients in both arms of the study were well-matched demographically and clinically, Farkas notes. Most suffered relatively mild cases of the disease, and treatment was initiated fairly late—about 16 to 17 days after disease onset. Twenty-eight days into the trial, the researchers found essentially no difference between the two cohorts with respect to the percent of patients in which the virus was undetectable. [...]

The study also found that fever and respiratory symptoms did not abate any faster in patients who had been treated with hydroxychloroquine.

Farkas acknowledges the study's limits, including its small size and that the researchers were not blinded—that is, they knew which patients were being given the treatment. "Nonetheless," he says, "this study currently represents the highest available quality of evidence regarding hydroxychloroquine."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meh2 said:

I’m hopeful but a trial of 125 isn’t substantial evidence of anything. We’ve already seen similar things for another drug that doesn’t seem to do much now. 

19 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

NBA? That's true. Thought we were talking about tennis. Different playing surfaces. Plenty of people play sports, including tennis, without towels and don't get injured. I just don't see "towels" as being the logistical problem that prevents tennis from happening. Players can towel off what they need to towel off, and throw the towel in a bucket of bleach post-match. There are far more realistic logistical problems in resuming pro tennis than the towels.

The logic of running and changing directions quickly on a slick surface are still very much applicable here.  I wasn't trying to say it's deal breaker or there weren't ways to deal with it.  I just thought it was pretty trite to ask for statistical evidence to support that running on slick surfaces could be dangerous.  

10 hours ago, daynlokki said:

I’m hopeful but a trial of 125 isn’t substantial evidence of anything. We’ve already seen similar things for another drug that doesn’t seem to do much now. 

Unless i am not understanding this correctly, the trials have been running with more than 125 people and the results were supposed to be received yesterday, so its expected the official results will be shared in the coming days, which is also why Dr.Mullane was not willing to discuss the topic as official results were not yet had.

"Trials of the drug are ongoing at dozens of other clinical centers, as well. Gilead is sponsoring tests of the drug in 2,400 patients with severe Covid-19 symptoms in 152 trial sites around the world. It's also testing the drug in 1,600 patients with moderate symptoms at 169 hospitals and clinics around the world."

11 hours ago, daynlokki said:

After further review, the 125 you speak of is from the Chicago based hospital specifically, while the other 2400 and 1600 also going under the trial are in various parts of the world, but those results have yet to be released.

16 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Don’t see how they think Arizona is gonna be a good place to play. Retirement communities and 47k total tests done for a population of 7.2m. 

A more accurate way to get a picture of what is going on is look at the deaths per 1 million.  Arizona is one of the lowest in the country.  Testing is a lot less definitive data than deaths are.  In terms of deaths per million Arizona is at 24 compared to the nation's average at 107 so basically 4.5 times lower.  

Also I am sure a part of the agreement of doing this would be that the MLB and MLB owners pony up some money to make testing more readily available in the area that they are playing games.  As testing in every state needs to be better.

While retirement communities are of concern it basically comes down to if you social distance and wash your hands you have drastically reduced your already low chances of catching covid19.  I see little to no reason for senior citizens to be lined up outside the ballparks and hotels trying to get within 6 feet of the players.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jonninho said:

After further review, the 125 you speak of is from the Chicago based hospital specifically, while the other 2400 and 1600 also going under the trial are in various parts of the world, but those results have yet to be released.

Sounds like we won’t know until May. https://www.wsj.com/articles/curb-your-enthusiasm-on-gilead-11587136706

16 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Because Arizona has enough MLB ready parks to host 30 teams.

In New York as of April 14, 95.1% of all COVID19 deaths were aged 45+ years and above. I wonder if other countries are getting similar data

I wish I would have taken more Chemistry/Biology in college...hopefully virology becomes the hottest career path this fall. Virus hunter sounds cool as well

5 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

I need to subscribe to read article. What is the summary of it? My understanding based on earlier published articles was results were supposed to be received by the company yesterday (Thursday) which caused the hesitancy for the company to speak publicly about it.. although i guess May is now only a couple of weeks away, so, more results and time to analyze results might not be a bad thing either. Last thing we want is **** rushed that doesnt work keeping us in this thing we now called life for longer than we have to be..

15 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Lets wait for the data...almost all of their articles are doom and gloom. 

COVID numbers lower than hospitals expected here. 

-hazard pay taken away

-staff hours being cut

-ED triage tents temporarily closed 

20 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

COVID numbers lower than hospitals expected here. 

-hazard pay taken away

-staff hours being cut

-ED triage tents temporarily closed 

Where and proof?

Hazard pay for whom? Military? Fire? Police? Healthcare? Truck Drivers? Food workers? Mcdonalds? Gas Stations? Post Office? etc...

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

That article did not really say much to me. It appears they are more concerned with the stock price than anything else..

Like another poster noted.. lets wait for the results, because the article itself sounded like it was intentionally trying to be super negative about the whole ordeal