bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, FouLLine said:

 

That would be nice if we could just say hey China we are square now for your covid-19 outbreak.

 

The real answer is the have the government print the money and all the profits made off of interest go into social programs.  If this was the case instead of allowing the Federal Reserve (aka a private company that has no elected officials) there wouldn't be a national debt (see how China does things) but instead there would be a national surplus that could be put towards social programs.

Maybe its the day drinking, but I dont follow your logic at all. Can you rephrase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

God damn Florida, America is already fu<ked and they decide to re open the beaches I can’t believe it. 
 

Baseball is definitely cancelled this year 

 

Well it isn't going to be likely that games are played in Florida now if they keep up with the idiocy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2ndCitySox said:

Maybe its the day drinking, but I dont follow your logic at all. Can you rephrase?

 

The vast majority of the national debt is owed to The Federal Reserve because every time they print money they charge interest on it.  That is called prime interest which is the interest rate that all other companies figure their interest rates off of.  Lincoln and Kennedy both were like why isn't the government printing the money so that the tax payers benefit off of prime interest.  We know what happened to both of those guys. 

 

Lincoln actually did print his own money called Lincoln greenbacks which is what he paid soldiers with and it like the USD was a note redeemable for gold.  Which is basically what money was supposed to be (a note redeemable for gold) until Nixon did away with the gold standard allowing hyper inflation of the dollar.  Before then The Federal Reserve couldn't just print money they had to have the gold to back it so if they wanted to print more money they had to buy more gold.  This is the main reason why the pound and euro have always been worth more than a dollar.  Not because their economies are stronger or those currencies are used more than the dollar but because no one really knows how many dollars are in circulation but we do know it's a hell of a lot more than the pound and euro.

 

Anyway back to the main point.  If it was a government entity printing the money the interest made off of "prime interest" could go back into the federal budget and be used for social programs.  So instead of owing the fed all this money there would be a federal surplus because the interest made off of the money was going right back to the tax pool.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Right? and then we got people asking 'whats wrong with that'? God help us all.. humans are a danger to this planet.

Look, I didn't see any pictures or articles in your post and I'm supposed to know what you're talking about? I don't live in Florida and don't keep tabs on it so pardon me if I see a line about letting people go on the beach and not knowing the full context. My question was genuine. Get off your high horse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I actually cannot deal with Florida and Texas opening up right now.  Seems like a slap in the face 


Yup, I just saw the video of people returning to the beach.  It was like the spring breakers video from a month ago, but this time with adults. As an aside,  I love how the mayor calls going to the beach is an essential activity.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

 

The vast majority of the national debt is owed to The Federal Reserve because every time they print money they charge interest on it.  That is called prime interest which is the interest rate that all other companies figure their interest rates off of.  Lincoln and Kennedy both were like why isn't the government printing the money so that the tax payers benefit off of prime interest.  We know what happened to both of those guys. 

 

Lincoln actually did print his own money called Lincoln greenbacks which is what he paid soldiers with and it like the USD was a note redeemable for gold.  Which is basically what money was supposed to be (a note redeemable for gold) until Nixon did away with the gold standard allowing hyper inflation of the dollar.  Before then The Federal Reserve couldn't just print money they had to have the gold to back it so if they wanted to print more money they had to buy more gold.  This is the main reason why the pound and euro have always been worth more than a dollar.  Not because their economies are stronger or those currencies are used more than the dollar but because no one really knows how many dollars are in circulation but we do know it's a hell of a lot more than the pound and euro.

 

Anyway back to the main point.  If it was a government entity printing the money the interest made off of "prime interest" could go back into the federal budget and be used for social programs.  So instead of owing the fed all this money there would be a federal surplus because the interest made off of the money was going right back to the tax pool.

I didnt realize the Fed makes nearly $100B in profits per year. I like the idea of the Fed being independent of the government, but as a non-profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I didnt realize the Fed makes nearly $100B in profits per year. I like the idea of the Fed being independent of the government, but as a non-profit.

 Although:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/business/fed-profits-treasury-2017.amp.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

 

The vast majority of the national debt is owed to The Federal Reserve because every time they print money they charge interest on it.  That is called prime interest which is the interest rate that all other companies figure their interest rates off of.  Lincoln and Kennedy both were like why isn't the government printing the money so that the tax payers benefit off of prime interest.  We know what happened to both of those guys. 

 

Lincoln actually did print his own money called Lincoln greenbacks which is what he paid soldiers with and it like the USD was a note redeemable for gold.  Which is basically what money was supposed to be (a note redeemable for gold) until Nixon did away with the gold standard allowing hyper inflation of the dollar.  Before then The Federal Reserve couldn't just print money they had to have the gold to back it so if they wanted to print more money they had to buy more gold.  This is the main reason why the pound and euro have always been worth more than a dollar.  Not because their economies are stronger or those currencies are used more than the dollar but because no one really knows how many dollars are in circulation but we do know it's a hell of a lot more than the pound and euro.

 

Anyway back to the main point.  If it was a government entity printing the money the interest made off of "prime interest" could go back into the federal budget and be used for social programs.  So instead of owing the fed all this money there would be a federal surplus because the interest made off of the money was going right back to the tax pool.

This....Kennedy was president when they were trying to transition all money into the federal reserve. He authorized the treasury to print more dollars  ( backed by silver ) and 1963 is the last year US treasury note were circulated in the public ( The year he was assassinated ).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those crushing Florida for reopening their beaches, let’s just see how it plays out. I agree that it seems a little early and aggressive.

 

Could clusters develop and cases go up in the area because of this? Yes, possible.

Could the trend line for the area stay the same and this be be one of many baby steps to getting back to normal? Yes, possible.

 

It’s not like we’re talking about opening up night clubs in NYC. People should be able to maintain social distancing guidelines on non crowded beaches. Remember this is most often transmitted through sustained contact with someone with the virus, in close quarters and many times indoors. It would be good to identify outdoor activities that are less susceptible to virus outbreaks. Let’s just see what happens before we crush the decision.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

To those crushing Florida for reopening their beaches, let’s just see how it plays out. I agree that it seems a little early and aggressive.

 

Could clusters develop and cases go up in the area because of this? Yes, possible.

Could the trend line for the area stay the same and this be be one of many baby steps to getting back to normal? Yes, possible.

 

It’s not like we’re talking about opening up night clubs in NYC. People should be able to maintain social distancing guidelines on non crowded beaches. Remember this is most often transmitted through sustained contact with someone with the virus, in close quarters and many times indoors. It would be good to identify outdoor activities that are less susceptible to virus outbreaks. Let’s just see what happens before we crush the decision.

Yeah what's the worst that could go wrong?

The general public is stupid. They will take the inch of rope given to them and hang themselves with it.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

It will be interesting to see the results as more of these antibody test studies come out, like the one that Stanford did, and the one MLB is participating in. If it's shown that the infection rate is much more widespread, then it's more reason to start relaxing certain aspects of these stay at home orders (in stages) as the CFR will be much lower than the initial estimates. Hopefully some of the treatments like remdesivir will continue to decrease that even more. The idea was to not overwhelm the healthcare system, which has been accomplished to this point. As for certain governors, they will ultimately have to answer for the results of their strategies for their individual states. We'll see which strategies end up working out, but it was never realistic to keep these orders in place long term. There are people fighting to survive and feed their families, and you can't just continue to keep everything shut down because some dumb people aren't following social distancing rules. Dumb people aren't going away. Just head to any Walmart in existence for proof of that. 

 

P.S. There obviously isn't a lot of agreement about anything in this country these days, but once we are through this thing hopefully everyone can agree on one thing: China needs to be held accountable, and we need as much of our supply chain as possible (medical in particular) the hell out of that country. 

 

As hard as it is to accept the coincidence of the virus appearing near their top virus research lab, out of all the places in that massive country, I'm pretty well convinced it is a coincidence.  My friend is a PhD in biology who works with viruses and he kind of broke down for me how you can tell when a virus has been designed.  It's basically impossible that this is a virus made for research that got out.  If it is some next level weapon made to be untraceable, 1) not sure that exists/is possible. 2) Why go to all that trouble only to release the virus on the doorstep of the lab? 3)What are they accomplishing?  You can come up with answers, but it gets farther and farther fetched.

 

If you mean punished for suppressing information, that's really pretty low on the list of malevolent acts on the international stage.  Ultimately, they are a major power and can mainly do what they want. As I said before, China will be held accountable for this on the same day we are held accountable for destroying Iraq based on a bunch of stuff we made up and giving the world the gift of Isis. I look forward to that day because it's also the day I hook up with Scarlett Johansson.

Ultimately, it's just like our personal lives.  I have very little control over what the other guy does, but I can control what I do and I'm far from perfect, so I try to focus my energy on that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

To those crushing Florida for reopening their beaches, let’s just see how it plays out. I agree that it seems a little early and aggressive.

 

Could clusters develop and cases go up in the area because of this? Yes, possible.

Could the trend line for the area stay the same and this be be one of many baby steps to getting back to normal? Yes, possible.

 

It’s not like we’re talking about opening up night clubs in NYC. People should be able to maintain social distancing guidelines on non crowded beaches. Remember this is most often transmitted through sustained contact with someone with the virus, in close quarters and many times indoors. It would be good to identify outdoor activities that are less susceptible to virus outbreaks. Let’s just see what happens before we crush the decision.

Why do we need to wait to see what happens? We already know what happens. We’ve seen what happens all across the US and the world when social distancing measures aren’t enacted. People should be able to maintain social distancing on non crowded beaches? Does it look like they’re maintaining social distancing? Do you see anyone wearing masks?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

 

As hard as it is to accept the coincidence of the virus appearing near their top virus research lab, out of all the places in that massive country, I'm pretty well convinced it is a coincidence.  My friend is a PhD in biology who works with viruses and he kind of broke down for me how you can tell when a virus has been designed.  It's basically impossible that this is a virus made for research that got out.  If it is some next level weapon made to be untraceable, 1) not sure that exists/is possible. 2) Why go to all that trouble only to release the virus on the doorstep of the lab? 3)What are they accomplishing?  You can come up with answers, but it gets farther and farther fetched.

 

If you mean punished for suppressing information, that's really pretty low on the list of malevolent acts on the international stage.  Ultimately, they are a major power and can mainly do what they want. As I said before, China will be held accountable for this on the same day we are held accountable for destroying Iraq based on a bunch of stuff we made up and giving the world the gift of Isis. I look forward to that day because it's also the day I hook up with Scarlett Johansson.

Ultimately, it's just like our personal lives.  I have very little control over what the other guy does, but I can control what I do and I'm far from perfect, so I try to focus my energy on that. 

Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that they were suppressing information from getting out, and that includes making some of their own people "disappear", at least the ones that were trying to warn everyone. I'd say that starting a global pandemic that kills scores of people and tanks global economies should rank pretty high on that list. If you want to say that starting a war should rank higher I don't disagree, but this is bad. If they had warned the global community like most non-communist countries would have done, there's a pretty good chance we don't have a pandemic right now. As to the lab, I don't think the virus was designed. I think it's more likely that it was a naturally occurring virus they were researching that got out by accident. Even if it did start in the wet market, what they did is still inexcusable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Why do we need to wait to see what happens? We already know what happens. We’ve seen what happens all across the US and the world when social distancing measures aren’t enacted. People should be able to maintain social distancing on non crowded beaches? Does it look like they’re maintaining social distancing? Do you see anyone wearing masks?

 

Complete morons but to be fair, morons just like these are also crowding public parks everywhere across the nation.  This just is worse optics because it is a beach instead of a park.  Stupidity and selfishness is a dangerous combination.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I actually cannot deal with Florida and Texas opening up right now.  Seems like a slap in the face 

It pains me to know all the health care workers who are putting their lives and families lives in jeopardy to HELP others.. only to have those protesting basically telling the health care workers to go f--- themselves and their efforts are not appreciated.
 

4 hours ago, TedStriker said:

Look, I didn't see any pictures or articles in your post and I'm supposed to know what you're talking about? I don't live in Florida and don't keep tabs on it so pardon me if I see a line about letting people go on the beach and not knowing the full context. My question was genuine. Get off your high horse.

Ok, so, you as an adult who is obviously capable of using the internet can surely research this for yourself.. i mean, its only been all over the major media websites and takes literally 30 seconds to pull up. Please look below for a small sample of the type of incidents going on as i have 'quoted' another user who has posted photos. Also, they do get worse than what is posted.. i mean.. God.. what could possibly go wrong.. stop talking down to people with your little school yard comments and do some research big boy.
 

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Why do we need to wait to see what happens? We already know what happens. We’ve seen what happens all across the US and the world when social distancing measures aren’t enacted. People should be able to maintain social distancing on non crowded beaches? Does it look like they’re maintaining social distancing? Do you see anyone wearing masks?

 

Thank you for posting this, i posted links earlier but apparently due to my aggresive tone towards a certain member the entirety of the post was removed.. links included.. *head shakes*.. hopefully those who dont see the problem with this can view the photos.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

I have yet to read the entire article, but, before i do.. i must question this only because i look at places like S.America and Africa who even in their winters, will still be much more hot and humid than a lot of the U.S will be in the summer... yet, in both places, they are seeing a ton of cases, so while i hope its true, when looking at countries known for their heat and seeing their cases continue to soar higher and higher. it makes me question this..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KCTD25 said:

Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that they were suppressing information from getting out, and that includes making some of their own people "disappear", at least the ones that were trying to warn everyone. I'd say that starting a global pandemic that kills scores of people and tanks global economies should rank pretty high on that list. If you want to say that starting a war should rank higher I don't disagree, but this is bad. If they had warned the global community like most non-communist countries would have done, there's a pretty good chance we don't have a pandemic right now. As to the lab, I don't think the virus was designed. I think it's more likely that it was a naturally occurring virus they were researching that got out by accident. Even if it did start in the wet market, what they did is still inexcusable. 

I think the fact that they have already reopened the wet market is a pretty good indication that 1 - it didn't come from the wet market 2 - they know its origin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonninho: it was a simple honest question. You didn't have to respond or maybe you could have just linked to the same source like others did. I don't always have time to do "research" so figured I'd ask why it was such a big deal. States are free to open things up at their discretion and they did something, that appeared at first glance of reading your comment, as pretty reasonable.

You are coming off as super aggressive on here for no reason. Calm down.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew human beings were stupid, just not this stupid. Maybe it's more selfishness. I think people realize this now affects older people and people with underlying conditions more and just don't care. Them living their everyday lives is more important I guess.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crusaderfan said:

I think the fact that they have already reopened the wet market is a pretty good indication that 1 - it didn't come from the wet market 2 - they know its origin. 

Agreed. If they're going to keep those places open though, at least do the world a favor and throw the stuff on the grill for a couple minutes ffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

Yes after you essentially called me stupid and made a big deal out of an innocent question when you didn't need to. I'm not worried about what forums I'm on though. I'm just going to stick to fantasy baseball from here on out. Have a nice night.

Certain things are simply too sensitive for you to say for some sensitive people. It's their politically correct world and you're just living in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Certain things are simply too sensitive for you to say for some sensitive people. It's their politically correct world and you're just living in it.

You mean like how he got offended for making a common with no research or thought behind it? Has no problem calling out others for things. Gets called out himself and decides to take his ball and go home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

You mean like how he got offended for making a common with no research or thought behind it? Has no problem calling out others for things. Gets called out himself and decides to take his ball and go home. 

Meh - he asked a question. 

I know how this stuff goes around here - regardless of subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.