bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TedStriker said:

Jonninho: it was a simple honest question. You didn't have to respond or maybe you could have just linked to the same source like others did. I don't always have time to do "research" so figured I'd ask why it was such a big deal. States are free to open things up at their discretion and they did something, that appeared at first glance of reading your comment, as pretty reasonable.

But it was totally impossible NOT to know about it unless you are living entirely off the grid.  If you don't get news online you could just sit back on your couch and see this on EVERY single news broadcast from old school networks to cable news to your local news.  I don't know why you were offended.

And talking about crowds gone wild I saw footage from the latest Wisconsin protest today (Saturday).  They are now getting out of their cars and hugging and standing practically on each other like a giant mosh pit of contagion.  Rats during the Black Plague kept further away from each other.  They can't seem to get it into their heads that they can be CARRIERS and infect others (who could infect others who infect others) and never know themselves what they did.  Sad thing is they will probably never know how many people they will infect or may die because of that stupid action today. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

To those crushing Florida for reopening their beaches, let’s just see how it plays out. I agree that it seems a little early and aggressive.

Could clusters develop and cases go up in the area because of this? Yes, possible.

Could the trend line for the area stay the same and this be be one of many baby steps to getting back to normal? Yes, possible.

It’s not like we’re talking about opening up night clubs in NYC. People should be able to maintain social distancing guidelines on non crowded beaches. Remember this is most often transmitted through sustained contact with someone with the virus, in close quarters and many times indoors. It would be good to identify outdoor activities that are less susceptible to virus outbreaks. Let’s just see what happens before we crush the decision.

You must of gone to the beach yesterday 

• Thanks 2

On 4/17/2020 at 2:04 PM, Dr. Whom said:

Where and proof?

Hazard pay for whom? Military? Fire? Police? Healthcare? Truck Drivers? Food workers? Mcdonalds? Gas Stations? Post Office? etc...

At my hospital. I work directly with COVID positive patients and don't get hazard pay because we don't have enough COVID patients.

Not sure what you want for "proof".

On 4/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, Dr. Whom said:

But that was only for selective surgeries correct? I read that they make the most money on surgeries

No, not correct.

What I find annoying and sad about these "liberty" demonstrations is that those that I feel have a right to be upset and frustrated are those that have lost their jobs and businesses because of state actions. I get that. But when I see these demonstrations, I see people that are mad because they cant go have fun and have things back to normal. I saw someone holding a sign saying, and I sh*t you not, "I NEED A HAIRCUT". 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But it was totally impossible NOT to know about it unless you are living entirely off the grid.  If you don't get news online you could just sit back on your couch and see this on EVERY single news broadcast from old school networks to cable news to your local news.  I don't know why you were offended.

And talking about crowds gone wild I saw footage from the latest Wisconsin protest today (Saturday).  They are now getting out of their cars and hugging and standing practically on each other like a giant mosh pit of contagion.  Rats during the Black Plague kept further away from each other.  They can't seem to get it into their heads that they can be CARRIERS and infect others (who could infect others who infect others) and never know themselves what they did.  Sad thing is they will probably never know how many people they will infect or may die because of that stupid action today. 

I wonder how many of these protestors are Trump supporters? 

https://www.dispatch.com/photogallery/OH/20200418/PHOTOGALLERY/418009999/PH/1

14 hours ago, meh2 said:

Why do we need to wait to see what happens? We already know what happens. We’ve seen what happens all across the US and the world when social distancing measures aren’t enacted. People should be able to maintain social distancing on non crowded beaches? Does it look like they’re maintaining social distancing? Do you see anyone wearing masks?

I thought these were just stock photos that the news showed?

17 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Well it isn't going to be likely that games are played in Florida now if they keep up with the idiocy.

They don't deserve those teams anyway.  Great opportunity to relocate them to Portland and Montreal.

*No offense to any legitimate Rays or Marlins fans on the board.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What I find annoying and sad about these "liberty" demonstrations is that those that I feel have a right to be upset and frustrated are those that have lost their jobs and businesses because of state actions. I get that. But when I see these demonstrations, I see people that are mad because they cant go have fun and have things back to normal. I saw someone holding a sign saying, and I sh*t you not, "I NEED A HAIRCUT". 

Very well said sir.  Just checked out the pictures in the link above by shakestreet.  I didn’t see many “I lost my job” type of signs, granted, there were some, but a lot more “I have rights!”  Whether I agree or disagree with that thought process, I can understand the rationale behind those.  The ones that I just don’t get are the “it’s a hoax” ones.  who exactly is in on this hoax?  The media? Amazon? Governors that drafted Chris sale in round 2 and want to re do their fantasy drafts? 

Edited by Cesare13
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

China: you need to follow 8 weeks of a strict quarantine and then you can carefully open up the economy. Healthcare workers need to have ample PPE and everyone should wear masks outside the house.

United States: we can agree to 4 weeks of social distancing but we want unlimited takeout and trips to the park. When we run out of Tiger King episodes we’re gonna riot if this cornteen isn’t over. And healthcare workers you get 1 mask and you’ll have to reuse it for weeks.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I wonder how many of these protestors are Trump supporters? 

https://www.dispatch.com/photogallery/OH/20200418/PHOTOGALLERY/418009999/PH/1

Uhm... if i was a wagering man.. which i am... i would place a bet on all of the above.. 🙄

52 minutes ago, meh2 said:

China: you need to follow 8 weeks of a strict quarantine and then you can carefully open up the economy. Healthcare workers need to have ample PPE and everyone should wear masks outside the house.

United States: we can agree to 4 weeks of social distancing but we want unlimited takeout and trips to the park. When we run out of Tiger King episodes we’re gonna riot if this cornteen isn’t over. And healthcare workers you get 1 mask and you’ll have to reuse it for weeks.

Crazy how different the two cultures are.. we are in quarantine here in Canada too.. it sucks... honestly.. everyone is going a little crazy.. putting on a little weight.. many people like the U.S have lost their jobs.. all city facilities are closed.. but.. dont people get it that if we just abide by these restrictions for a few weeks we can all go back to normal a lot longer..

By having these protests.. you have now taken 3 steps backwards and will end up in a quarantine longer than you had to.. i just honestly do not understand the mentality of some people..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

They don't deserve those teams anyway.  Great opportunity to relocate them to Portland and Montreal.

*No offense to any legitimate Rays or Marlins fans on the board.

I don't think the Florida not playing was necessarily in regards to those 2 teams, but rather have of all the teams playing Florida as part of a rumored AZ/FL plan.  It seems like we might be at all AZ or bust for 2020.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't think the Florida not playing was necessarily in regards to those 2 teams, but rather have of all the teams playing Florida as part of a rumored AZ/FL plan.  It seems like we might be at all AZ or bust for 2020.

That appears to be what the situation is at the moment. Atleast to start the season off.

Truthfully, though some players have suggested they are not interested in the idea, i dont think they really have a say... They have a contract to play baseball, and where ever that might be, they must oblige to that contract. I think the owners will be on board with the idea (money obviously).. and the PA will be on board if enough players are willing to play (which there will be).. and that kinda forces all those who arent interested to kinda suck it up and get to AZ to play ball.. atleast IMO.

Edited by jonninho

46 minutes ago, jonninho said:

That appears to be what the situation is at the moment. Atleast to start the season off.

Truthfully, though some players have suggested they are not interested in the idea, i dont think they really have a say... They have a contract to play baseball, and where ever that might be, they must oblige to that contract. I think the owners will be on board with the idea (money obviously).. and the PA will be on board if enough players are willing to play (which there will be).. and that kinda forces all those who arent interested to kinda suck it up and get to AZ to play ball.. atleast IMO.

If they don’t want to play they just won’t get any service time for the year and their contract will toll to the next year. Not one team is going to force players to play while there is a global pandemic going on. Their contract also nowhere states they have to be sequestered for four months. Easily could be said that unless they expressly agree to that, their contract isn’t enforceable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Uhm... if i was a wagering man.. which i am... i would place a bet on all of the above.. 🙄

Crazy how different the two cultures are.. we are in quarantine here in Canada too.. it sucks... honestly.. everyone is going a little crazy.. putting on a little weight.. many people like the U.S have lost their jobs.. all city facilities are closed.. but.. dont people get it that if we just abide by these restrictions for a few weeks we can all go back to normal a lot longer..

By having these protests.. you have now taken 3 steps backwards and will end up in a quarantine longer than you had to.. i just honestly do not understand the mentality of some people..

Yeah crazy ay. Shucks, you nice folks up north aren’t protesting, despite being locked down for even less time. Just eating those poutines, amirite?!?! So much more civilized than your southern neighbors! 

https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/04/people-canada-are-gathering-streets-protest-lockdown/

• Like 1

[ Bad faith trolling about unrelated political issues removed. ]

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah crazy ay. Shucks, you nice folks up north aren’t protesting, despite being locked down for even less time. Just eating those poutines, amirite?!?! So much more civilized than your southern neighbors! 

https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/04/people-canada-are-gathering-streets-protest-lockdown/

That Canadian protest doesn’t compare one little bit on what is happening in the good ole USA 🇺🇸

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

That Canadian protest doesn’t compare one little bit on what is happening in the good ole USA 🇺🇸

Is it one-tenth? Because we have literally 10 times their population. Yet they’re spread out over that huge mass of land. The point, they’re protesting as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Is it one-tenth? Because we have literally 10 times their population. Yet they’re spread out over that huge mass of land. The point, they’re protesting as well. 

Not that it matters to any point that anyone's making.  Canada isnt really spread out at all.  Approximately 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the canada/usa border.  Almost like an Egypt/Nile kind of thing.  For what it's worth,I havent seen or heard of any significant protest at all. That guy in Vancouver gathered like a dozen people. I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling that sentiment.  There ARE a lot of idiots here though, maybe just not as organized.   We've been pretty much "stay at home" since st.patricks day.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Not one team is going to force players to play while there is a global pandemic going on.

Not one team can force any of their players to play even when there is no global pandemic going on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Not that it matters to any point that anyone's making.  Canada isnt really spread out at all.  Approximately 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the canada/usa border.  Almost like an Egypt/Nile kind of thing.  For what it's worth,I havent seen or heard of any significant protest at all. That guy in Vancouver gathered like a dozen people. I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling that sentiment.  There ARE a lot of idiots here though, maybe just not as organized.   We've been pretty much "stay at home" since st.patricks day.

Canadians are smart, that's why.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That happened a week ago... there was a total of like 14 people there.. and it has since been the only documented protest.. we have been in this mode of quarantine for probably over a month now..

Some people in specific states have been in a 3 week qurantine and already protesting risking the lives of many.. and i must say those protests are significantly larger..

But yeah.. i would tend to agree with you.. and i say this out of respect, but, Canadians for the most part are more civilized.. just look at your news stations.. your government is throwing fists at each other.. your president is blatantly lying to the masses on a daily basis.. there is no unity among states what so ever.. its the complete opposite of civilized..

Now, i must acknowledge, there are certainly dumb Canadians and that isnt even a debate.. and there are certainly plenty of well educated well mannered very civilized Americans..

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not one team can force any of their players to play even when there is no global pandemic going on. 

Thats true, but the players will run the risk of loosing their $ and when considering the life styles many of them are accustomed to and/or built.. a big chunk of $ lost is probably not in the cards..

3 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Thats true, but the players will run the risk of loosing their $ and when considering the life styles many of them are accustomed to and/or built.. a big chunk of $ lost is probably not in the cards..

Yes, players can choose to not pay and not get paid. Maybe the owners will feel bad and pay them anyway. This of course assuming there's a season. That being said, no athlete ever has to play in a game if they dont want to. Basic contract law. They may not get paid for a portion of their contract.