bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

This is being blown out of proportion.

So the elderly are at more risk of dying because of this virus so we should stop society? 

Nonsense.  Elderly should stay inside until this passes.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, cerebus2004 said:

No way.  You're in some sort of denial.

Whether or not they play on time has no impact on my life whatsoever.  I'm just giving my opinion.  Chill.

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

If this is an attempt at trolling, cut it out, there are real lives at stake here.

If you're serious...  How do the elderly get their food, medicine, etc. during this time?  Any elderly people in your life you'd be okay losing so you could watch a baseball game in April instead of May?

Not toe mention how it affects our every day lives. I need to work to support my family, like everyone else here I imagine. I work in car sales, which could easily be shut down here shortly. People won’t be buying cars for a little bit here soon enough. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, B&F said:

This is being blown out of proportion.

So the elderly are at more risk of dying because of this virus so we should stop society? 

Nonsense.  Elderly should stay inside until this passes.

What the f---?

Do you think Italy is some 3rd world country that has medieval healthcare facilities? Just because old people are more at risk doesn't mean they are the only people affected. When this many people get sick, this quickly,  it puts a huge strain on the entire health-care system, and thus on the entire society

Almost feel like I got wooshed here

Edited by cs3
  • Like 3

Kinda scared for the season beginning now, but MLB must do what must be done. NBA took a huge hit tonight and by being so reactive instead of proactive. 

1 minute ago, Theoneupper said:

Kinda scared for the season beginning now, but MLB must do what must be done. NBA took a huge hit tonight and by being so reactive instead of proactive. 

Curious your thoughts on what would be the proactive approach for NBA?

Imagine making a keeper decision on Yordan Alvarez based on how he might not be ready for start of season cause of his knees and then hearing this news

• Like 2

Nobody is saying abandoning the elderly.  I said nothing of the sort.

They should just stay indoors and caretakers should take precautions.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Imagine making a keeper decision on Yordan Alvarez based on how he might not be ready for start of season cause of his knees and then hearing this news

I don't mean to go full CSB, but I've also got Alvarez in a keeper...sure take another month! Heal Conforto too while you're at it.

But seriously, from a pure fantasy perspective, another month would've give us a better view of Sale, Judge, Stanton too...

Edited by Gandalfthecat
  • Like 1

In another month? The reports are that up to 150 mil Americans are gonna get sick over the next year or two. Not sure what benefit holding a month out is gonna do. What am I missing here?

• Like 1

Just now, tucker26 said:

What am I missing here?

There's a decent chance that seasonal weather changes will slow the virus down, at least temporarily.  See here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Think spring training games start getting cancelled soon?

Yes.

Although the MLB decision makers seem to be  morons compared to those for most other pro sports, so who knows if common sense will prevail. 

I knew my invention would make it big one day...

spacer.png

My bad. I have to laugh to keep from crying...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think they should play right now.  One player gets it and gives it to his team, then what?  Season over for that club.

All games should be on hold right now to help with containment and spread... and keep it that way until it is safe.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B&F said:

Nobody is saying abandoning the elderly.  I said nothing of the sort.

They should just stay indoors and caretakers should take precautions.

Again do you not understand that though way more elderly die statically there have been perfectly healthy kids, teens, 20's, 30's etc etc people who have died from this as well around the world. 

Also if younger people do go out and attend ball games and catch the virus there from someone they become transmitters of same spreading it more and more causing the pandemic to grow astronomically.  The transmission period starts immediately but the incubation period trails so people who are infecting others may not have showed any signs at that point.  So someone that got infected at a game gives it to a friend while still not showing signs of it then the friend, who hasn't come down with it yet, gives it to his grandmother who dies all because some younger person thinks he is immortal and protected from the virus and screw the rest of the human race.

The NBA is suspended.  A decision is expected soon from the NHL.  March Madness will be played in empty arenas where only close family members will be allowed to attend.  And I believe I caught on the news that San Francisco has joined Washington state banning large crowds so now the Giants are in the same position as the Mariners.  (Correct me on that last one, I caught that in passing).  MLB will have to make some serious decisions soon.

I'm sure the owners would be okay with playing before empty, Rays-like non-crowds since they get the lion's share of their money from TV contracts, not in house ticket sales.  The Players Association?  Don't know what they would favor.  But one player comes down with it and MLB will have to go the NBA route.  You can't guarantee one team and any teams they played recently and let other teams play because each team has to play the same amount of games in a season give or take a meaningless game rained out in September.  Otherwise the standings mean nothing.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I saw the chart someone posted before and I thought, we'll, I'm only a .4% risk of dying if infected since I'm in my forties.  Then I thought, if I was in a room with a bit over 200 people and one of us was going to be killed at random, I'd be pretty nervous. Also, both presidential candidates will be highly vulnerable.  

Anyway, I heard an MD on espn radio right now.  He emphasized that the virus is transmitted via fluid and that basketball presents the perfect circumstance for that to occur, as they press on each other, breath in each other's faces, etc.

Given that, it SEEMs like playing baseball would be a relatively safe activity.  In fact it almost seems like a game that was invented for circumstances where you don't want much close contact with other people. 

I don't expect that to have any influence.  Everyone will err on the side of caution.  I just thought it was interesting.  

• Like 2

Just read this thread for the first time and the amount of people calling this a non-threat is MIND boggling.  Even if it was the exact same mortality rate as the flu, the fact that it can take 10 days before symptoms even show up means that this can spread in ways the flu never could.  (Hence the sports shutdowns and half the universities).  Also means that it can spread exponentially and create spikes of cases that countries like Italy (and I guess the US) aren’t prepared for.   The fact that it’s much more deadly is almost the cherry on top.  It’s like the “Gallo averages 5-10 steals” (true btw!) equivalent of why this is a problem 

• Like 4

I think I have it.  I'm going to be staying home, quarantining myself and resting up.  It may just be the flu though idk

7 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I think I have it.  I'm going to be staying home, quarantining myself and resting up.  It may just be the flu though idk

Get better man.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Take care of yourself man

With the nba & many governors banning large event assent, seems like a matter of time before baseball is officially shutdown

• Like 1