bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

Hopefully those antibodies tests are faulty like our other tests with false negatives. It would be awesome if 80% already have the antibody.

I wonder if the Asian countries have more antibodies or can recover quicker due to previous exposure to the other SARS. This along with their rigorous hygiene and containment could explain their ridiculous numbers

False positives are an issue it seems with those tests. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.evaluate.com/node/15775/amp

There is also the problem that they don’t know whether the antibodies will fully protect you going forward. 

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

4.774m tests in the US. Yesterday it was at 4.696. Testing is up but even then 31k positives out of less than 100k total tests with a large false negative rate still in those test. 

Yeah...seems like new cases are still peaking a bit. New York still getting hammered and they said they didn’t need the comfort ship which left. Anybody know if they are still using the subways in NY? Older articles this month say yes with no social distancing.  

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

There is also the problem that they don’t know whether the antibodies will fully protect you going forward. 

It not fully, it should make it easier for the body to fight it off next time hopefully with little or no symptoms 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

You have to love Trump...says whatever is in his mind. He was asking the doctors and then told the press he was not suggesting it was a cure. 

It’s sad he has to even suggest if they tried injecting a safe bleach or iv light therapy because there are no therapies backed by science or even any doctors suggesting stuff. At least hook up an iv of vitamin c and nutrients to keep the immune system at optimal 

Think we'd be better off with only medical and economic experts at the briefings. I know other countries handle updates this way, just too many contradictory statements.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

IMO, the biggest issue economically is not the value of the dollar internationally, or unemployment benefits for individuals (although there are some issues there, see Florida), but the failings of the PPP for small business owners.

https://www.inc.com/cameron-albert-deitch/coronavirus-small-business-closures-layoffs-survey.html

Small business has fueled most of the innovation in this country at one point or another.  They keep the enterprise sized folks honest in their hiring and labor practices.  We need to do a better job taking care of these folks.

edited my bad

Edited by hockeyfan77

Not sure if it's been discussed here, but as governors lift these orders allowing businesses to reopen employees will weigh the risks knowing they'll no longer be able to receive unemployment if they decide it's not yet safe. Some areas and jobs might be safer to return than others and with some governors deciding not to follow guidelines on when to safely open it could put them in a tough spot.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Not sure if it's been discussed here, but as governors lift these orders allowing businesses to reopen employees will weigh the risks knowing they'll no longer be able to receive unemployment if they decide it's not yet safe. Some areas and jobs might be safer to return than others and with some governors deciding not to follow guidelines on when to safely open it could put them in a tough spot.

Not just because it’s not safe...they could make more money on unemployment.

The federal government issued guidelines to open which could prove difficult or costly for some states ( some states are trying to use emergency federal money for things other than covid19).  If a state refuses to follow them, the people can refuse and complain. The federal government could withhold emergency funding among other things if states refuse to follow the guidelines.

Edited by Dr. Whom

Large majorities of Americans back coronavirus restrictions, slower return to normal

They asked some very pointed questions in this poll, with some results that may surprise some folks.

This one does not bode well for business owners awaiting a deluge of customers so they can hire back most or all of their workers:

IpsosPoll_Coronavirus_Q2_LikelyUnlikely_042320_v01_KS_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

And this one provides the most compelling evidence yet that those astroturfed "liberate [state]" protests were a tiny sliver of the population, and that social distancing efforts have widespread support:

IpsosPoll_Coronavirus_Q3_SocialDistanceOrders_042320_v01_KS_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

• Like 2

All I can say is that I hope this second round of PPP at $250 billion goes further than the first $348 billion round.  Here's hoping.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Large majorities of Americans back coronavirus restrictions, slower return to normal

They asked some very pointed questions in this poll, with some results that may surprise some folks.

This one does not bode well for business owners awaiting a deluge of customers so they can hire back most or all of their workers:

IpsosPoll_Coronavirus_Q2_LikelyUnlikely_042320_v01_KS_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

And this one provides the most compelling evidence yet that those astroturfed "liberate [state]" protests were a tiny sliver of the population, and that social distancing efforts have widespread support:

IpsosPoll_Coronavirus_Q3_SocialDistanceOrders_042320_v01_KS_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

Cool...the protests worked in Michigan too as the governor lifted her travel, boating, gardening, painting, and landscaping restrictions as bills were introduced to scale back her executive authority. Stay at home still in effect of course and masks needed in grocery stores 

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Cool...the protests worked in Michigan too as the governor lifted her travel, boating, gardening, painting, and landscaping restrictions as bills were introduced to scale back her executive authority. Stay at home still in effect of course and masks needed in grocery stores 

The protests didn't "work". The governor put in place EXTREMELY harsh bans that never would've survived politically for more than a few weeks but were arguably necessary to deal with a massive spike in infections during that time period.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanghow said:

The protests didn't "work". The governor put in place EXTREMELY harsh bans that never would've survived politically for more than a few weeks but were arguably necessary to deal with a massive spike in infections during that time period.

That's your opinion...I have mine. They were protesting outside her house yesterday. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

That's your opinion...I have mine. They were protesting outside her house yesterday.

Yeah, we're in northwest Ohio and deal with Michigan companies a lot. I understand why they were aggressive with their measures but if they tried to hold those measures in place for more than a few weeks, they would've had a political and economic mess on their hands. The protests were somewhat a manifestation of that, but they had to dial it back as soon as they could, regardless imo.

I wonder if this is legit...

https://covid19criticalcare.com

I read this the other day because I was getting mad online about something else.  But it's a good cautionary tale about how misleading initial observations and studies can be.

slate.com/technology/2017/02/secondhand-smoke-isnt-as-bad-as-we-thought.html

TLDR; initial studies showed enormous reductions in heart attacks when smoking was banned. In Helena, Montana they dropped 60%. It's probably ridiculous to think the actual risk dropped by 60%, but it has to show SOMETHING right?  Some doctors and activists wanted to believe and the BBC, WSJ and NYT were among the outlets to run with it.  They overlooked sample sizes.  Since nobody thought second hand smoke prevents heart attacks, they never looked for cases where smoking bans correlated to rising heart attacks.  They initially failed to factor in that heart attacks were declining already.

Finally, proper studies were done and everything was sorted out and it turns out that walking past someone smoking a cig is not going to cause you to drop dead.  Who could have imagined?

Not saying bans are or aren't a good idea or that 2nd hand smoke is harmless or anything about policy or smoking, really.  Just, don't be too excited when some doctor says treatment X seems to be working based on 20 patients, or too scared when they say cases of young stroke victims doubled from 3 to 6.  

Flatten the fear. Starting to see people hang F’s in their window. Hospitals have caught up. That’s why our world shut down in first place, not to find a vaccine. We took on the surge and took it on the chin. I’m very tired of society feeding into this ...for real. But. This may continue to drag on as the world collects money from the C19. Why would ppl want economy to open if they were already receiving gov money? They wouldn’t. Go hang another damn heart right?? Majority of “my circle” are just seeing this all as pure politics at this point. But I continue to see sheep feeding the fear, feeding the frenzy, waiting for round 2 of the stimulus checks. 
It’s all bull&@$@ ladies and gent. 
meanwhile, millions are losing their livelihood they have worked their entire life for. Children losing valuable education bc of inadequate resources at home, I COULD GO ON. Sorry for the rant, let’s all go hang a heart. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Flatten the fear. Starting to see people hang F’s in their window. Hospitals have caught up. That’s why our world shut down in first place, not to find a vaccine. We took on the surge and took it on the chin. I’m very tired of society feeding into this ...for real. But. This may continue to drag on as the world collects money from the C19. Why would ppl want economy to open if they were already receiving gov money? They wouldn’t. Go hang another damn heart right?? Majority of “my circle” are just seeing this all as pure politics at this point. But I continue to see sheep feeding the fear, feeding the frenzy, waiting for round 2 of the stimulus checks. 
It’s all bull&@$@ ladies and gent. 
meanwhile, millions are losing their livelihood they have worked their entire life for. Children losing valuable education bc of inadequate resources at home, I COULD GO ON. Sorry for the rant, let’s all go hang a heart. 

Yeah, that $1200, which millions still haven’t received and won’t for months, is for sure worth all this. 🙄 Same for unemployment. As someone who was furloughed for three weeks I’ll just go ahead and debunk this whole thing. My “leave” began on 3/29. It’s 4/26. Know how much of this lavish government money I’ve seen? $0. State unemployment is nowhere close to handling this. Ohio has paid out about 35% of claims, which is probably on the high end. Last I read Florida had paid out about 7%. So you and “your circle” just go on believing that everyone who’s out of a job is just living it up on government funds. The majority of people haven’t seen a dime since their last paycheck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Yeah, that $1200, which millions still haven’t received and won’t for months, is for sure worth all this. 🙄 Same for unemployment. As someone who was furloughed for three weeks I’ll just go ahead and debunk this whole thing. My “leave” began on 3/29. It’s 4/26. Know how much of this lavish government money I’ve seen? $0. State unemployment is nowhere close to handling this. Ohio has paid out about 35% of claims, which is probably on the high end. Last I read Florida had paid out about 7%. So you and “your circle” just go on believing that everyone who’s out of a job is just living it up on government funds. The majority of people haven’t seen a dime since their last paycheck.

Booom. Thank u sir. God bless.

no doubt. I hope life finds you well soon.

Lets hang a ❤️ . Feeed da beast. 
point is this...we need to get back to life soon.

Edited by Whitecloud0101

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, daynlokki said:

https://apple.news/AwGK2t1DBTtCMRtFEuQ9_cA

Weird this is happening now. Maybe those in their 30s and 40s are more adversely hit by this then thought. 

Blood cloths are's presumed to be a side effect of a cytokine storm. Which is your immune system overreacting to a virus. Just like the inflammation in your lungs.

Theory/speculation: If the those anti bodies results are even half right (say half are just false positives) The overall chances of the most extreme form of a blood clot like a stroke is still extremely rare. That the reports are it's affecting younger people could be part survivor bias. I.E. the older/at risk who get an extreme case usually die/critical condition from the acute respiratory aspect before there is any chance of this. Given lots of medical care to calm the symptoms.

Where younger people who are not struggling. Don't bother to get medical attention. So the most extreme cases are left to progress to such levels.

Just speculation with only passive knowledge here. Could be wrong, take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

That sucks man...Michigan is 82% according to the governor at $350 per week. Not sure about the extra 600 per week from the feds though. I remember trump saying he wanted the feds to do unemployment because state system could not handle it. 

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Booom. Thank u sir. God bless.

no doubt. I hope life finds you well soon.

Lets hang a ❤️ . Feeed da beast. 
point is this...we need to get back to life soon.

And if getting back to life overwhelms our hospital systems. What then? One of the groups that is prone to severe cases of this are those who are overweight. Half the damn country is overweight. 1/6th if the country is in the older age brackets. Opening the country back up just to either have to shut it back down again or grin and bear it as hundreds of thousands potentially die isn’t a good look on anyone. Let alone wishing for it. 

• Like 1